Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.5 Software Release

Old 01-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
mmetzinger

Exclamation Screen Freeze - Multiple Units

Hello, I am an IT admin and I purchased 6 DynaDock Vs from Toshiba that utilize the DisplayLink software. These units are split across two different models of laptops, 5 HP Probooks and a Sony VAIO(my laptop). Since we have purchased the units we have had nothing but problems. The external display will constantly freeze on users and myself after a random time interval and while the most simple things are being performed. The last time I clicked on the start menu and it froze. I have installed the latest drivers for the DynaDock from Toshiba's website and the latest DisplayLink driver from your website, 5.5M1. I have already gotten 6 replacement units from Toshiba just in case and that didn't change anything. Actually the one unit i got out for my laptop seemed liked it locked up even faster than before.

Just some quick specs about our setup:
5 HP Probooks running Windows 7 32bit - 2GB RAM.... i think
1 sony VAIO running Windows 7 64bit - 6GB RAM

Can anyone help me? I have uploaded the error logs from my machine as gathered by the support tool I found on the website.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20110118_110755.zip (328.1 KB, 1459 views)
Old 01-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Pawel

Lightbulb

Could you please run the debug tool again and make sure a SystemDetails.txt file is in the zip folder? You can delete a memory.dmp file if the zip file is too large to upload.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Jeff Fitting

Default DynaDock V display freezes - must cycle power on dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmetzinger View Post
Hello, I am an IT admin and I purchased 6 DynaDock Vs from Toshiba that utilize the DisplayLink software. These units are split across two different models of laptops, 5 HP Probooks and a Sony VAIO(my laptop). Since we have purchased the units we have had nothing but problems. The external display will constantly freeze on users and myself after a random time interval and while the most simple things are being performed. The last time I clicked on the start menu and it froze. I have installed the latest drivers for the DynadDock from Toshiba's website and the latest DisplayLink driver from your website, 5.5M1. I have already gotten 6 replacement units from Toshiba just in case and that didn't change anything. Actually the one unit i got out for my laptop seemed liked it locked up even faster than before.

Just some quick specs about our setup:
5 HP Probooks running Windows 7 32bit - 2GB RAM.... i think
1 sony VAIO running Windows 7 64bit - 6GB RAM

Can anyone help me? I have uploaded the error logs from my machine as gathered by the support tool I found on the website.
Hi there!

I am having the exact same experience.

I too am an IT admin who purchased 5 DynaDock V units in December. All are running with new Dell Vostro 3300 laptops also purchased in December. All have the latest video drivers, etc. Intel Core i5, Windows 7 64bit, NVIDIA GeForce 310M adapter. DisplayLink Version is 5.6.29519.0

All five systems have the exact same problems.

After contacting Toshiba about this problem the support tech directed me to the DisplayLink driver page and told me that the 5.6 beta version of driver will fix the problem. I installed it on all machines and the problem remains. I called Toshiba again and they recommended that I return all 5 for replacement. Somehow i think the replacements will be clones of the ones i have so i am not convinced that will fix this problem, especially when there are so many others out there with the same complaint.

I found and ran the DisplayLink support tool on a Dynadock V that recently froze and attached the resulting zip file here.

Anyway, here's a recap of my symptoms: Fresh boot up in the morning. Perhaps once or twice a day the display connected to the Dynadock freezes, making the user think the mouse froze. They click and wiggle the mouse not realizing they are actually clicking on things since everything else about the Dynadock is still working fine (keyboard, mouse and Ethernet.) You can open the laptop lid and see the live desktop so they know the PC is not frozen. Unplug the USB and the frozen display still shows the same image. I have to pull the power plug out of the back of the Dynadock, rebooting it, in order to clear the problem, until the next time.

There doesn't seem to be anything repeatable about it. The users aren't doing any stressful activity at the time. Of course they are stressed immediately afterward!

Cycling power on the Dynadock causes problems when breaking the Ethernet connection to one of our database applications.

I don't think the problem is thermal since it can happen first thing in the morning or anytime in the day. In any case the crash is so bad it required a hard reboot.

I hope we can resolve this problem! Please contact me if you guys need any further testing from me. I anxiously await your reply.

Jeff

update: I forgot to mention the BSOD errors that we have been having too. It could be related. Three of the machines have had one or more BSOD with a STOP 0x00000116 related to the Nvidia driver nvlddmkm.sys. This only happens when the Dynadock is connected but happens less frequently than the display freeze problems. I tried to upload a DisplayLink support tool ZIP file for this other machine but the upload kept failing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20110127_143105.zip (857.2 KB, 1542 views)

Last edited by Jeff Fitting; 01-27-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: New Information - BSOD
Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Pawel

Lightbulb

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately by looking at the logs, I can confirm that most likely it is a firmware/hardware issue so I'd also recommend replacing the units.

Regards
Old 01-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Jeff Fitting

Default DynaDock V display freezes - must cycle power on dock

OK, can you point out anything specific in the logs that leads you to the firmware/hardware fault conclusion? It might be helpful to others who are having a similar problem.

Also, I'd like to have a way to determine if the replacement units I receive do not have the problem.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Pawel

Lightbulb

The connection with a device couldn't be established:

Connect
Firmware version (BCD): 0103
Packet size 512
Reap: async (0, 0) failed : usb_reap: timeout error
Connect failed sys::Exception: USB transmit failed
Sleeping for 500 ms

You can try a different USB cable to make sure that its not the issue or power cycle the device to try to get it working. If none of those suggestions help, then you should replace the units. You will only be able to see whether the replacements has the same problem or not, by plugging the dock and seeing if it is working, alternatively by sending the log files to us for analysis.

Regards
Old 02-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
peiffer83

Hi,

Has this problem been resolved with new units or does it still exist? We bought a brand new Toshiba Dynadock U and it has the same problem. I attached the file that was generated by running the support tool. I hit gather support information after the problem occurred. The problem can be corrected by unplugging the dynadock.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20110223_095807.zip (428.6 KB, 1461 views)

Last edited by peiffer83; 02-23-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Jeff Fitting

peiffer83,

I have recently just returned one of the five malfuntioning Dynadock V units and am waiting for the replacement. When I get that new unit I will be testing it and will report back to this thread. The other four have been removed from service pending the outcome of the test.

It's my impression that Toshiba and Displaylink do not have a valid solution yet for this problem and I believe the replacement units won't be any different than the ones I have now. If the replacement unit exhibits the same errors I will be pushing Toshiba to take back all five units for a full refund.

I have to complement Pawel and the Displaylink Team for providing the diagnostic tools and for reviewing the logs and providing some real facts, such as they are. Dealing with Toshiba has been much more difficult.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
peiffer83

Thanks Jeff,

Was there any difference if the display resolution was changed? Color depth, or refresh rate of the monitor on the display link adapter? Did a different usb cable make any difference?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
Sergio S

Hi,

I am running into the same problem as reported above. And I agree with Jeff Fitting when he says the unit replacement should not solve the problem. It looks to me as being much more a malfunction driver behaviour rather than a hardware issue alone.

I have in my office two Toshiba Dynadocks U, one of them purchased in 2009. It was functioning perfectly until last month when I updated the software with the one I downloaded from Toshiba and DisplayLink (v 5.5). The display now freezes as reported, ramdomly and while performing simple tasks. One or two times a day, and it can be overcome simply by undocking and docking again.

The second unit doesn't freeze, but it has not the monitor cable connected to it. The reason for that is that when I connect the monitor (a Samsung T2270 model) to the Dynadock, I start facing very accentuated mouse lag effects.

Tags
freeze, locking up, screen freezing