Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
mgt82

Red face Connecting 4k display to MacBook Pro 2017"

Hello!

I've been tearing my hair out because I cannot get my MacBook Pro 13" 2017 (2 Tb ports) to output 4k @ 60Hz.

I have connected it to a DisplayPort adapter, and managed it to get output 60hz once (!) after connecting/disconnecting, trying different ports. The one thing that finally made it work was closing the lid. However, that worked one time, and the next time it didn't matter what I tried, it did not output 60Hz (4k) no matter what I did (tried for hours).
So anyway, I know it's at least possible to get the 60Hz4k signal.

What I did next is I bought a HDMI dongle instead (specified for 4k@60Hz) and tried it, but it does not work. The HDMI cable is also specified for 4k60hz (18Gpbs), so no problem there.
No matter how I connect, close the lid, change settings, change ports, connect charger, it does not switch to 60 Hz. I've also tried resetting SMC, NVRAM etc. Doesn't help.

So after googling like crazy, I finally ended up here.
So I've downloaded the latest Mac drivers, the App and the Login screen (app?) installed everything. I've gone through the FAQ, browsed several Troubleshootings etc, but I can't even begin to understand how DisplayLink works or how to get it to work. I'm not totally illiterate when it comes to computers, but I cannot find concrete info if DisplayLink even can help me or how to use it, step by step. The only thing I found that came close was just a run-through of the default MacOS Displaysettings, which I've already gone through a couple of hundred times without success.

My monitor is a Philips BDM4350UC.

Can you guys help me?
Thanx in advance!
mgt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the forum.

Based on your description I believe that you are not using a DisplayLink powered device so the driver will not be any help here with your issue.

What I may recommend here is to verify if the DP adapter that you are using is able to transfer such amount of data as 4K@60 is a lot. Next, I would take a look at the monitor settings. They may be an option to change it physically as for example a wrong input which causes the refresh rate to change.

Nevertheless, I would also verify the monitor with another laptop just to double check that.

I would also recommend asking and looking for answers on the Apple forum as you may get more help over there concerning your Macbook capabilities.

Best regards,
Jakub
JakubDabrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
mgt82

Ok, thank you very much!

Can you point to examples of monitors that are DisplayLink enabled? How does Display Link work?

Thank you again
mgt82 is offline   Reply With Quote