Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 03-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #11
chrisvo

Quote:
Are you sure modprobe is actually loading the version you've built?
Yes, I removed the old one and built and installed (both manually and using dkms) the version from git. I tried both devel and master branches. It builds fine, but refuses to be loaded, filling the log with messages about "evdi: Unknown symbol drm *" and "evdi: disagrees about version of drm*"
chrisvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #12
chrisvo

Uninstalling the Intel driver fixed the problem. It appears there is an incompatibility between the version of libdrm used in the latest Intel driver and the version that is used by the displaylink driver.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #13
fightling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvo View Post
Uninstalling the Intel driver fixed the problem. It appears there is an incompatibility between the version of libdrm used in the latest Intel driver and the version that is used by the displaylink driver.
How did you do that?
fightling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #14
chrisvo

Quote:
How did you do that?
This post has pretty good instructions for removal of the Intel driver, if you used the Intel installer:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/34339...-center-driver
Old 03-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
unfulvio

Hey there, I might have bumped into the same issue

I have a Lenovo Thinkvision and Ubuntu 15.10 with 4.20 kernel

when I try to install the supplied driver via script I get similar errors, I do have Intel drivers installed but would prefer not to uninstall them...

I checked and have libdrm-dev and libdrm2 v2.4.65-3 installed

is there any other way to solve this?
unfulvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #16
unfulvio

I uninstalled the Intel drivers using Synaptic package manager

basically I looked for packages marked by intel and with source 01.org - I switched them all to use Ubuntu/Wily own packages -- this operation was successfull and I've downgraded to Ubuntu bundled drivers

but still, I would get the same error as chrisvo even after this after installing and trying to start the displaylink manager - same error

perhaps I missed something -- any clues?

thanks!
Old 04-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #17
unfulvio

I've finally managed to clean my Intel Graphics for Linux drivers following instructions at

http://theclonker.de/archive/89 (in my case I changed the origin of packages to wily, since I use 15.10)

then installing again the Displaylink driver, it was successful

however this solution wasn't optimal.. I noticed a decrease in battery performance and a bug in Google Chrome that forced me to disable the hardware acceleration there - this was fixed by installing the Intel drivers...
Old 04-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #18
chrisvo

Quote:
I noticed a decrease in battery performance and a bug in Google Chrome that forced me to disable the hardware acceleration there
Yes, it would be ideal to be able to use the latest Intel drivers with the DisplayLink driver...

Also with the DisplayLink driver I've noticed high CPU usage even when I am not connected to the docking station, where I've had to manually kill DisplayLinkManager.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #19
mvczettritz

Thumbs up drm symbols not found

Ehlo,

I've encountered a very similar issue, while setting my Ubuntu 16.10 up.
Some debugging showed that I had no linux-image-extra-*-generic kernel installed/ loaded. Therefore the drm.ko Kernel module was not present and could not be loaded.
This can be checked easily by running 'modinfo drm', if the program complains about 'no module found' you should check 'dpkg --list | grep linux-image-extra' to see if you have a kernel that comes with drm.
Once installed and rebooted the journalctl errors went away.

Thanks,
Michel/Tofu
mvczettritz is offline   Reply With Quote