Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
jwmoore39

Angry No Aero and very slow graphics after installing updated drive

On Feb. 12 I installed an updated DisplayLink driver that was an optional update suggested by Windows Update. Details follow. Since that update was installed I cannot select an Aero theme and I get this error message:
The current video card may support Aero with a driver that is compliant with the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM). Contact the manufacturer of your computer or video card for a WDDM-compatible driver.
The drivers for my graphics system are the same as before the update and I have the latest drivers for both my Intel Graphics media accelerator HD and NVIDIA GeForce GT 33M. Screen refresh is so slow that dragging a window across the screen leaves about a dozen images of the border for a half second or so. Also my BlackBerry software does not write the window so I cannot update my PDA. Here is the data about the updated driver.

DisplayLink Corp. - Other hardware - DisplayLink Display Adapter (0036)
Installation date: ‎2/‎12/‎2014 8:57 AM
Installation status: Successful Update type: Optional
DisplayLink Corp. Other hardware software update released in December, 2013
More information:
http://sysdev.microsoft.com/support/default.aspx
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

The Kensington MultiDisplay USB adapter is still working and I can use both screens. How do I get my fast screen graphics back?
jwmoore39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Please attach the output from this tool:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:24 AM   #3
jwmoore39

Exclamation Results from Debug Tool

I have tried to attach the results of the debug tool to this response. However, it is not clear how to do that. The instructions are vague, "send the zip file to DisplayLink". I assume that by attaching the file to this response I have "sent it to DisplayLink".
The problem is described in the initial post in this thread.
There was something in the debug results about the driver for the intel graphics being out of date, but when I use Control Panel, Device Manager, Intel graphic, Driver and ask it to update it says I have the latest driver. And anyway the computer ought to be using the NVIDIA graphics.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ZIRCONIA_20140224_201111.zip (804.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by jwmoore39; 02-25-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
Wim

Your graphics card drivers are old (January 2010). Could you try updating these and see if it solves the issue?

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
jwmoore39

Angry Latest drive installed

Windows told me that the latest driver was installed and I included that information in a previous message. I went to the Intel site for drivers and it tells me that

Product Detected Intel® HD Graphics
Current Driver Installed 8.16.11.8880
Your driver is current.

So the problem is not the Intel graphics driver.

The DisplayLink data collection said nothing about the NVIDIA driver, which Windows tells me is also up to date.

So the problem is not the graphics drivers. The problem is that somehow installing the latest DisplayLink software caused the graphics to slow down. I have seen this problem from others on the web and they claimed the only fix was to re-install Windows. My guess is that that would only work until I first plugged in the Kensington Multi-Display hardware and the DisplayLink driver was installed again. I don't have half a day to devote to re-installing Windows so I would like a fix from DisplayLink.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
JamesH

Hi,

The latest graphics drivers for your Intel graphics can be found here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...adType=Drivers

To install these follow these steps:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033915.htm

Thanks,
James
Old 03-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
jwmoore39

Default Have you read my posts?

In my last post I pointed out that when I go to the site suggested by James to get a new graphics driver for the Intel graphics it tells me I have the latest driver.
I have attached a screen shot of the message from the Intel site.
THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE INTEL GRAPHICS DRIVER!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IntelGraphicsDriverUpdated.jpg (20.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
JamesH

Hi,

The Intel auto-update facility will only check Windows Update for the latest driver. These are rarely the most recent version of the driver.

The linked driver I suggested is the very latest from Intel.

Thanks,
James
Old 03-04-2014, 02:41 AM   #9
jwmoore39

Default Yet again I am told I have the latest driver

I went to the site you suggested. I downloaded the software (Win7Vista_64_152258.zip), I unzipped the file to another directory. I followed the directions for installing the driver that were on the site you suggested. I was told I already have the latest driver.
I then went to the directory where I unzipped the files and clicked on Setup.exe. It gave me the message attached. Am I supposed to be installing older drivers? Everything you have said so far says my driver is too old, but the installer says it is newer than the one already there.
By the way, during all of this I noticed that now Device Manager is telling me that the driver for the Intel graphics is the NVIDIA driver (which is also the driver for the NVIDIA graphics. I tried re-installing the NVIDIA driver and it now seems to be the driver for both graphics systems. Should I uninstall the driver for the Intel graphics or what?
This is taking an inordinate amount of time for a problem that was not there before I updated the DisplayLink driver.
Note that the version the setup.exe file says is installed is the same version I listed above (8.16.11.8880)
Attached Images
File Type: png IntelGraphicsDriverUpdated02.png (10.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by jwmoore39; 03-04-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
jwmoore39

Default A reply would have been appreciated

Apparently your only suggestion for solving my problem does not work. The courtesy of a reply to my last post would have been nice, but I guess if you don't have anything more to suggest it would have been a waste of time for me to read it.

Tags
aero slow graphics update