Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 06-17-2022, 02:00 AM   #1
unifarcity

Default USB monitor shows up in GUI settings, mouse rolls onto 2nd monitor, but not windows

I've got a strange problem when trying to use 17" portable monitors on a 17" ThinkPad P17 gen1 running Debian 11 with non-free firmware.

I have a 15" Asus USB monitor that is working fine with the current DisplayLink driver with Xorg Gnome and Nouveau. I'm not using proprietary NVIDIA drivers. According to my Lenovo specs I have an NVIDIA Quadro T2000 graphics card, but via the drivers I'm running with Debian it tells me I'm running a NV167 / Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics (CML GT2) graphics card.

I've tried two different 17" USB monitors. One is a ViewSonic VX1755, and the other is an Amazon.com special. Both exhibit the same behavior as follows.

The 17" USB monitor is recognized by my system and shows as a valid second monitor in my Display Settings window along side my built-in monitor. However, the desktop background does not display on the USB monitor, instead the screen is white. I'm able to move my mouse cursor onto the 17" monitor and can see it, but if I drag a window, the window does not display, just the mouse cursor. If I let go of the mouse and drop the window on the USB monitor, I can pick it back up and move it back, so long as I can get the mouse cursor back onto the title bar of the window (which I can't see).

Anybody experienced anything like this? Any suggestions?
unifarcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifarcity View Post
I've got a strange problem when trying to use 17" portable monitors on a 17" ThinkPad P17 gen1 running Debian 11 with non-free firmware.

I have a 15" Asus USB monitor that is working fine with the current DisplayLink driver with Xorg Gnome and Nouveau. I'm not using proprietary NVIDIA drivers. According to my Lenovo specs I have an NVIDIA Quadro T2000 graphics card, but via the drivers I'm running with Debian it tells me I'm running a NV167 / Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics (CML GT2) graphics card.

I've tried two different 17" USB monitors. One is a ViewSonic VX1755, and the other is an Amazon.com special. Both exhibit the same behavior as follows.

The 17" USB monitor is recognized by my system and shows as a valid second monitor in my Display Settings window along side my built-in monitor. However, the desktop background does not display on the USB monitor, instead the screen is white. I'm able to move my mouse cursor onto the 17" monitor and can see it, but if I drag a window, the window does not display, just the mouse cursor. If I let go of the mouse and drop the window on the USB monitor, I can pick it back up and move it back, so long as I can get the mouse cursor back onto the title bar of the window (which I can't see).

Anybody experienced anything like this? Any suggestions?
In regard to the ViewSonic VX1755 monitor you mention, according to the product specifications --> https://www.viewsonic.com/us/vx1755-...esolution.html this monitor does NOT have DisplayLink USB video technology inside. As a result, DisplayLink will not be able to assist you with that display's behavior.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debian, p17, usb, viewsonic, white background