Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release

Old 11-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
jaddison

Unhappy 1920x1200 DisplayLink Setup - USB Mouse is DEAD Slow

When using my Lenovo DisplayLink adapter to output 1920x1200 @32bit color, my USB mouse performs erratically at best. Goes from smooth and no problems to not moving at all (and no clicks going through). Sometimes the cursor moves in fits and spurts with clicks and double-clicks occasionally going through.

My CPU performance doesn't seem to be skyrocketing either during these bouts of non-performance.

Is this a USB bandwidth issue? Is it common?

More importantly, can it be fixed?

System specs:
Lenovo W500 laptop
4GB ram
Windows 7 x64

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Martin

Hi Jaddison,

This should not be happening, and it isn't something I've seen before. I would not imagine it to be a usb bandwidth issue as mouse movement only requires a small part of the screen to be updated.

Have you seen similarly poor performance when moving windows around, or when playing video?

Our logs (from c:\program files\displaylink core software\debug\) may also provide some clues. Please zip them up just after seeing the problem.

Best regards,
Martin
Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
jaddison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Hi Jaddison,
Have you seen similarly poor performance when moving windows around, or when playing video?

Our logs (from c:\program files\displaylink core software\debug\) may also provide some clues. Please zip them up just after seeing the problem.
Happens seemingly at random.

Should I attach the logs to a forum reply? I presume there is nothing personally identifiable in the logs?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Martin

The logs don't contain anything personal. They contain a stream of messages from our applications indicating how many monitors, what resolution and in what layout they are. It also indicates how this changes over time. Also, it contains what version of DisplayLink software and Windows is installed and displays some errors that may have been encountered in the DisplayLink graphics and usb drivers.

You can open them yourself in notepad (or text editor of choice) to see. Repeated messages often indicate a problem in the area they suggest, so this would be a good thing to look out for.

Thanks,
Martin
Old 12-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
basilmir

Mine is running on 1600x1200 on an hp 8710w and the mouse is a little laggy.

My guess is, if you're running it on 1920x1200 it means it uses the chip to it's max.

Also running you laptop in power save might have something to do with it.

Make sure it's running on Balanced.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:47 AM   #6
icemanmelb

no issue here running on 1920 x 1200 with my mouse. I suggest you check that youve got the latest driver.

Ice

Tags
erratic mouse, slow mouse, usb mouse, windows 7 64 bit