Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release

Old 10-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #11
chashock

I'm hazarding a guess here, but it may not be that people don't want to try it, but that it isn't there.

I've been anxiously awaiting the released driver ever since I saw posts about it being released to WU, and nothing has shown up in WU for me related to DisplayLink (although when I first installed Win7 it immediately found the RC driver).

Also, the reg entry doesn't seem to be attached to the post. Can I download the new driver directly?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
chashock

I don't know if this thread or forum is even being monitored anymore, since the driver is supposedly "production", but the problems are persistent on my machine.

The new driver never showed up in WindowsUpdate OR via the Check for updates option of the DisplayLink Manager, so I downloaded the driver manually and installed.

The CPU problem is not nearly as pronounced in this version of the driver, but it is still there. Instead of reporting ALL of the System Idle Process as active CPU cycles and slowing my machine to a crawl, it only shows about 1/2 of the CPU being utilized, when in reality only about 10% is and the other 90% is SIP. Still extremely strange behavior, and it indicates to me that when the driver fails it is not releasing resources back properly and it hangs in some "shutdown" process or other.

Both displays still disappear after about 10 minutes or so of use. On top of that, it now causes my primary displays running off my nVidia 9300 card to get very fuzzy after the DisplayLinks fail. Very strange behavior.

I'm afraid if this doesn't get resolved soon I may have to dump these in favor of a second video card to get all my displays running. Very disappointing. This device had a lot of promise for many users I support, but this kind of instability just doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence.

Martin, if you're still watching, and want me to try something, let me know. I'm happy to try and continue troubleshooting this with you guys.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:54 AM   #13
dokindo

Default Exactly the same problem!

I have the same problem with disappearing displays and high CPU usage after some time.

I seemed to have found a solution with the 191 Nvidia driver and the latest displaylink driver, but all of a sudden it stopped working and I'm back to random lockups with 90% cpu usage. Fortunately, there is no loss of work, but I do need to reboot to use the PC properly.

I was also getting bsod's but that stopped after I upgraded the nvidia driver. Any other tips or suggestions.

(I have a nvidia geforce 9100 graphics "card")
Old 11-26-2009, 04:40 AM   #14
chashock

I'm pretty sure no one at DisplayLink cares about this anymore. They have a production driver, so it's of no consequence. Of course, the fact that their product doesn't work under Win7 when it worked PERFECTLY for me under Vista means I'll be trying to get MicroCenter to take both devices back and getting a second card.

I'm extremely disappointed in the level of customer service provided here. It looked like things were going to go well, and then they just wiped their hands of the whole thing once the "production" driver went to Windows Update. I still have the same CPU issues I had with the beta driver, despite running the 191 nVidia driver and sending in logs and offering to do more testing. Unfortunately, eVGA is just as clueless and unresponsive.

I was considering moving to the nVidia beta 195 driver, but I really need to get my four monitor setup working again and don't really have the time to keep messing with it.

Make sure you post back here if you find a solution. If I keep messing with it and find one, I'll do the same.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #15
dokindo

the 195 beta drivers make the problem worse.

my latest solution - so far working for 24 hrs - is:
1) disable the nvidia driver in Services
2) edit the registry to TdrLevel 0 (google for details)

using the 191 driver and 5.2.21123.0 (beta) displaylink

I have a suspicion the problem lies in compatibility with nvidia graphics and displaylink. So, my next step is to try a different graphics card.

Appreciate your input and thoughts, since there doesn't seem to be many others with the same issue.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
Martin

Hi,

First, I'd suggest downloading the most recent displaylink driver from our website (displaylink.com) as your version seems to be quite old to me.

What precisely is getting worse in the 195 drivers, and can you post screenshots/logs that might help us to understand the problem?

Thanks,
Martin.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
mansehr

Default Same problem

I have the same problem as the other guys in this thread.

Although I know that I have installed all the latest drivers for my comp...

Don't know if it will help but I attached a zip of my debug folder at the time when the flicker and fuzzy started.

My host system is also windows 7, so there are probably som software problem with this windows version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip debug.zip (56.6 KB, 1220 views)
Old 11-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #18
chashock

I don't have a TdrLevel reg entry anywhere in my registry, so I'm not sure that's going to help me any.

I also just noticed that there was a release of a driver yesterday, so I downloaded and installed it with no change to anything. I've attached the logs from the dump folder in case you can take a look at them, Martin. Thanks for jumping back into the thread.
Attached Files
File Type: zip chashockdump091126.zip (16.2 KB, 1134 views)
Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #19
AndyMayne

Default Same/similar problem

Is there any movement on this?
I had a similar problem occasionally when running Vista with the mouse locking up when on a DislplayLink attached screen. I could live with that given what the product is doing through a USB port!
However, on Win 7 I'm getting lock ups on both my vga port attached screen and DisplayLink attached screen. The DisplayLink screen goes black. If I move the mouse over it, the screen redraws following the mouse trail. If I minimize then maximize any apps running on the DisplayLink screen the entire screen redraws.
This happens too often to make continued use of the product viable. Unfortunately, my options are limited as I use a notebook & therefore cannot install a secondary graphics card.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
chashock

I'm not sure anyone cares. I continue to have the issue, even after a completely fresh install of Win7, the latest Nvidia drivers, and the latest DisplayLink drivers.

I will say with the latest driver it has gotten slightly better. I can get 25-30 minutes of display time before my CPU usage skyrockets and the display goes black, but that's it.