Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 12-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
MiWiAu

Default ASUS USB3.0_HZ-1 Docking Station Issues

I'm having two problems with my docking station:

1) A Seagate Backup Plus 1TB portable hard drive does not work via the USB ports in the docking station, but it works fine when plugged directly into the laptop (not sure if this is a DisplayLink interface issue or not)

2) My bigger problem: I have two external monitors connected via the docking station; one is connected via DVI, the other VGA. The external monitors are ALWAYS clones of each other. I cannot configure them as separate monitors.

Ultimately, what I'm attempting to do (unsuccessfully, so far) is run two external monitors (configured as "Extended") from my laptop when the lid is closed.

With the laptop lid up, my primary desktop is on the laptop screen, and the extended desktop is on the external monitors (both external monitors are cloned, showing the same image). Windows only shows two monitors in "Settings" even though both external monitors are on and cloned.

With the laptop lid down, my external monitors become the primary desktop, but they are always cloned (cannot extend). Windows "Settings" only shows one monitor available when the laptop lid is closed, even though both external monitors are on and cloned.

I have tried completely uninstalling/reinstalling video card drivers and the DisplayLink drivers multiple times, but have been unable to resolve.

Thanks for any help!

Laptop System: ASUS Vivobook F402BA-EB94
Docking Station: ASUS USB3.0_HZ-1
External Monitors: Acer G236HL (one connected DVI, one connected VGA)
External Hard Drive: Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive P/N 1K9AP4-501

LOGS ATTACHED
Attached Files
File Type: zip LAPTOP-1MG5EFHP_20171203_114528.zip (408.2 KB, 2 views)
MiWiAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Thank you for all the details, this is helpful in understanding.
The from your hard drive not working demonstrates there is a USB problem in the docking station. I imagine that if you are using a keyboard it works (USB 2.0) but using a hard-drive or any USB 3.0 device, there is an issue.
You could validate that by using a USB printer cable between the computer and the dock (a USB 2.0 only cable instead of the USB 3.0 cable). This is likely to make your hard drive work again. If it does, then we can look at the display issues. But if the basics don't work, then I am not surprised the complex stuff doesn't either...

Like the chip DisplayLink sells, the hard drive is connected to a USB hub within the docking station.
DisplayLink doesn't do any USB hub and our driver has zero knowledge of or any impact on the hub.

I strongly advise you to contact the manufacturer, Asus, to discuss a replacement.
Do make sure you flag your point 1 as this will avoid you wasting your time arguing about driver updates with them: there is no external driver for hard-drives.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
MiWiAu

Thank you, Alban. I will continue troubleshooting this evening when I get home from work. I will post any additional updates at that time.

Much appreciated!
Old 12-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
MiWiAu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,

I imagine that if you are using a keyboard it works (USB 2.0) but using a hard-drive or any USB 3.0 device, there is an issue.
You could validate that by using a USB printer cable between the computer and the dock (a USB 2.0 only cable instead of the USB 3.0 cable). This is likely to make your hard drive work again. If it does, then we can look at the display issues. But if the basics don't work, then I am not surprised the complex stuff doesn't either...
Hello again, Alban.

I connected the dock to the laptop via a USB 2.0 printer cable, and the hard drive is still failing to be recognized.

As I understand your response, this is likely due to some sort of failure in the internal USB 3.0 hub?

Thank you for your assistance in diagnosing!
Old 12-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Yes, the hard drive goes through the hub to the computer USB host controller.
If something as basic as this doesn't work, I wouldn't look further.
It could be the hub, it could be power supply... I believe it is best to contact the manufacturer to get them to assist on their product now.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote