Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
ferenczy

Default Completely broken DisplayLink after installation of version 8.0 M0

Hello,

I have been using DisplayLink on Windows 7 64-bit for about 2 years and it was working well. I started with the DisplayLink version 7.9 M2, then upgraded to 7.9 M3 and finally 7.9 M5 which I have been using until today. I have been always updating to a new version without uninstalling the previous version.

Today I found out that the DisplayLink 8.0 M0 has been released so I decided to upgrade. I have downloaded the installer, executed it and System Compatibility Check passed (I didn't expect anything else since my system is same as before), so I clicked on Install. After a while, I got a dialog window with the following message:

Quote:
The software for DisplayLink Graphics is not supported on this operating system version. Please visit www.displaylink.com/software for an updated driver.
I though maybe I just downloaded a wrong version (for Vista or something like that), but I checked that I was using the right one.

So I rebooted the system and after I logged in, it asked me for the reboot. And after the next reboot again. Each time, I tried it about 4 - 5 times.

So I tried to install it again (8.0 M0), but with the same result. I also tried to uninstall the DisplayLink completely, but it's not possible. It shows a dialog with a progress bar, it goes to 100 % and disappears, but it still appears as installed.

I also tried to install the version 7.9 M5 back (actually repair it), it goes trough the System Check, but fails on Installation with the following message:

Quote:
DisplayLink Core Software setup was interrupted. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again.
I have tried all possible combinations of reboots, uninstall attempts, repair attempts, various versions, Windows safe mode. Always with the same result. And the DisplayLink Compatibility Check Tools passes.

So it's not working now, but it's installed and it's not possible to remove it, repair it, upgrade it, downgrade it, nothing. And I'm not able to move out of this state. It's very frustrating.

Anyone any idea, please?
ferenczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

I am very sorry to read you have had issues during the driver upgrade.
We have a special cleaner to remove all elements of a damaged installation.

Would you please be able to try the steps and let me know if you can reinstall 7.9 M7?

Cleaner: http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...ylink-software
7.9 M7: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=576

I'll feed this back to our testing team to understand what could have happened.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
ferenczy

Hello Alban,

thank you for your answer and that you answered so quickly.

I used the Cleaner tool and it successfully removed all traces of the DisplayLink software. But the current state of my system is a little bit worse than before (but at least is consistent - no half working installation).

Explanation follows (it's removed currently so I don't know the exact names of directories):
  • before running the Cleaner I checked DisplayLink's directories in the "Program Files". It was looking that the "DisplayLink Graphics" has been already removed by the Uninstaller, directory contained only "cleaner.exe" (crashing), licence and a few other stuff, "DisplayLink Core" was there and looking completely working
  • I executed the Cleaner and after a few minutes it successfully finished the cleaning process
  • I rebooted the system
  • Tried to install the DisplayLink 7.9 M7, but it failed with "not supported on this operating system version" again. Also, installation of the 7.9 M5 (which I had installed and have been before) fails with the same error, so it looks it's not a problem of new versions of DisplayLink, but some issue with my system

May I help you with some logs or debugging? I'm a software engineer, so I have some skills to debug it, just let me know what I can do, please.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
ferenczy

Also, I have found the DisplayLink update in the Windows Update's optional updates, but installation failed with some error code. I expect it's the same problem.

I really wonder why is my operating system version not supported now, if it has been working fine before. Even the same version (7.9 M5) I had installed already reports "not supported on this operating system version". Also, the Compatibility check is passing (both standalone and part of the installer), it doesn't detect any issues, it fails during the installation/upgrade.

Isn't it possible to generate some (debug) log with the details why it's failing? What exactly it's checking, etc.

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
AlbanRampon

Sorry for the delay Dawid, getting all ready for the Windows 10 anniversary update got us a bit busy.

If you use the instructions I gave you to generate log files, you will see there are MSI logs captured in them (setup*.log). That stands for the Microsoft Installer.
You can look for !!! as this means ERRORS.
You also have ! and !! for WARNINGS.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote