Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
pipbailey

Default DisplayLink not working with Targus Docking Station

Laptop: Asus U36SD i5Core, 8GB RAM
USB Host Controller: Frsco Logic FL1000
USB Host Controller Driver Version: 3.5.100.0
Display Link Driver Version: 7.4.51587.0
Device: Targus Universal USB 3.0 DV Docking Station : ACP70USZ

Cannot get DisplayLink to launch when plugging in the docking station. The two external monitors just stay blank. This has been happening since I bought the Targus device. I've tried a variety of unplugging and powering on of the Targus, Laptop and Monitors. No luck.

This has been a problem since I bought the Targus 7 months ago. If the Targus loses power the laptop doesn't detect the monitors when it is plugged back in.

This forum is my last attempt to get this working before I throw the Targus out and avoid DisplayLink devices forever.
pipbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Sorry hadn't seen this until now as it was in the general sub forum.

Can you start by trying the registry patch attached to this thread?
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/sho...=fresco&page=2

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
pipbailey

Default Still not working

Hi James,

The registry patch did not work. I downloaded, unzipped and double clicked it. It said it applied. No change. I rebooted. No change. Unplugged and re-plugged in the Targus. No change. Leaving the USB connected, I unplugged and replugged in the Targus power. No change.

The DisplayLink just never gets launched. The monitors just sit there with their standby power blinking.

The DisplayLink has worked in the past with this configuration. For no rhyme or reason it just stops working. Then when some strange combination of powering on/off or plugging in the USB cable is performed it works. This time, I just can't figure out what that combination is. The monitors just never get detected.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
pipbailey

Default USB Hub Screenshot

Here's a screenshot of my USB hub:

Old 10-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
pipbailey

Default More testing

James,

I have gone through this process that I see you have directed others to:

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

The Display Link services are there and running. What is missing is the "Check the DisplayLink USB device appears in the device manager." I do not have any DisplayLink or USB display items in my device manager.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by pipbailey; 10-21-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
TargusLevel3

Please be sure to have the latest FrescoLogic driver v. 3.5.100.0 from http://frescologic.com/support.php installed.

Targus is aware of a hardware issue that has recently been diagnosed with some ACP70 docks. This issue is most easily recognized in the Windows Device Manager where no USB Display Adapters and no Targus Giga Ethernet Network adapters are present. It is also when neither of the dock’s display ports or Ethernet ports work at all. The issue is intermittent and temperature dependent, showing up mostly at colder temperatures. Manufacturing has produced at ECN for a workaround for all newly manufactured docks but for deployed units that exhibit the misbehavior, please contact Targus for a free exchange.
TargusLevel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
pipbailey

Default Relief

While it is regrettable that it appears to be a hardware design floor, it is such a relief to know the underlying cause of the problem. I have been struggling with this intermittent problem for over 6 months. Thank you for posting. I will contact Targus.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
pipbailey

Default Gave up

I Spoke to Targus yet again. Wasted even more time jumping through hoops testing driver versions. Eventually got a warranty return code by email from them (after nearly a week). Sent the Targus docking station back to them. (Secretly hope it gets lost in the mail and I never see it again. This $150 device has cost me nearly $2,000 of my time!)

Last edited by JamesH; 11-08-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
martinlintzgy

Thumbs down tagus USB3 dock works intermittently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargusLevel3 View Post
Please be sure to have the latest FrescoLogic driver v. 3.5.100.0 from http://frescologic.com/support.php installed.

Targus is aware of a hardware issue that has recently been diagnosed with some ACP70 docks. This issue is most easily recognized in the Windows Device Manager where no USB Display Adapters and no Targus Giga Ethernet Network adapters are present. It is also when neither of the dock’s display ports or Ethernet ports work at all. The issue is intermittent and temperature dependent, showing up mostly at colder temperatures. Manufacturing has produced at ECN for a workaround for all newly manufactured docks but for deployed units that exhibit the misbehavior, please contact Targus for a free exchange.

This problem is driving me mad. My targus is out of warranty.
The drivers are up to date and installed correctly.
Like other posters, the USB Display Adaptor "Targus USB3.0 DV Docking station" does not appear in device manager.
If i plugout / plugin the power jack a few dozen times, the display adaptor may or may not appear.
If i get a hair drier, and blow hot air (yes!) at the adaptor, it will start working, then be OK for the rest of the day. If i disconnect the laptop, the following day is a repeat performance.
Can anyone from targus hint at the Hardware workaround to fix this issue?
(i am competent with SM hardware soldering and patching)
martinlintzgy is offline   Reply With Quote