Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 09-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #101
fitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitter View Post
I could even live some time with lagging external screen, I can just display there some static things and mainly work on my laptop screen. But this problem also affects my laptop's audio, which gets some hiccups. I cant accept it unfortunately...
Small update. Ubuntu 20.04 got minor kernel update recently, so I decided to install the displaylink driver again and check if it fixed the external screen responsiveness (it didn't...).
But by accident I discovered something else, audio provided by the docking station is not as jerky as the native laptop's headphone output. Small win, I can now use the external screens to do some tasks
Edit: It's not completely fine, I can still hear cracking when window displayed on the external screen refreshes it's content

@any_displaylink_dev
Are you aware of the performance issue on AMD systems running 20.04? I see that "1fps when laptop screen disabled" bug got some attention and there is a work going on it. I don't know if the problem I am facing is related to it or no. If you want I can provide more data

Last edited by fitter; 09-10-2020 at 08:49 AM.
fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #102
thopiekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitter View Post
Small update. Ubuntu 20.04 got minor kernel update recently, so I decided to install the displaylink driver again and check if it fixed the external screen responsiveness (it didn't...).
But by accident I discovered something else, audio provided by the docking station is not as jerky as the native laptop's headphone output. Small win, I can now use the external screens to do some tasks
Edit: It's not completely fine, I can still hear cracking when window displayed on the external screen refreshes it's content

@any_displaylink_dev
Are you aware of the performance issue on AMD systems running 20.04? I see that "1fps when laptop screen disabled" bug got some attention and there is a work going on it. I don't know if the problem I am facing is related to it or no. If you want I can provide more data
Got the same 1fps thing here with Nvidia hardware. I can only assume that the OS tries to save power and trottles the GPU or the USB controllers. I tried to prevent this but no success. Any ideas here?
thopiekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #103
thopiekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thopiekar View Post
Got the same 1fps thing here with Nvidia hardware. I can only assume that the OS tries to save power and trottles the GPU or the USB controllers. I tried to prevent this but no success. Any ideas here?
The DisplayLink staff is working on getting fixes merged into Xorg-Xserver.
For Ubuntu 20.04 they provide a package with a temporary fix.
Just google or search around here.
thopiekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #104
pat1

Default Latest kernel

I forced my system (20.04) with the latest kernel available.
With the latest kernel from apt-get dist-upgrade (5.4) still had problems, then used this script to get kerlnel 5.8 and now works fine.

Only side problem is that my vmware and virtualbox stopped to work because no drivers available for this kernel. Great oppurtunity to learn 'virt-manager' qemu kvm stuff ...

Last edited by pat1; 09-26-2020 at 12:45 PM.
pat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:47 PM   #105
fitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat1 View Post
With the latest kernel from apt-get dist-upgrade (5.4) still had problems, then used this script to get kerlnel 5.8 and now works fine.

Only side problem is that my vmware and virtualbox stopped to work because no drivers available for this kernel. Great oppurtunity to learn 'virt-manager' qemu kvm stuff ...
Good to hear that. 20.04 probably will get 5.8 kernel next month as another point release with stuff from Ubuntu 20.10.

I am not very familiar with kernel development, but since 5.4 is LTS, used by the most popular Linux distros rn and affected by nasty displaylink bug which was fixed in later kernel versions. Shouldn't it get the fix backported then?

Ah, btw. I tried installing proprietary AMDGPU drivers to check if it fixes anything - no changes at all...

Last edited by fitter; 09-26-2020 at 01:57 PM.
fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #106
andy_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat1 View Post
I've been testing Linux again recently and can confirm Release: 5.3.1 05 May 2020 seems to work on my AMD 4800H CPU with Kernel Version 5.8.12-050812-generic although it seems to use more CPU than I would think reasonable - over 30% at times

I'm going to try the special Ubuntu xserver-xorg-core version stickied to see if that helps but at least I can see my AOC USB 3 monitor now on one Linux distribution finally so thanks

EDIT - All is working well the latest 5.8.12 kernel with no high cpu usage. I installed the kernel via the mainline 'app' plus the latest displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34 from Display link direct on Kunbuntu 20.04 LTS

Last edited by andy_g; 10-03-2020 at 09:06 AM.
andy_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #107
mauromol

I have recently upgraded from Linux Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu 16.04) to Kubuntu 20.04. The improvement I see in DisplayLink behavior is noticeable: no more screen corruptions even if I use the OpenGL compositor and VSync, for instance, and no apparent performance issue (the video seems to work just fine, like if I had the monitor connected directly to the HDMI port of my notebook).

However, what is not working is audio: even if I have the output in Kubuntu audio panel ("USB3.0 Dual Video Dock") and even if I try to change the output profile to anything listed there (from digital stereo IEC958 output to analog stereo, 2.1, 5.1, what else output), I hear no audio neither from headphones connected to the audio jack in the front of the docking station, nor from the speakers of my monitor connected to the docking station through HDMI.

Has anyone this problem?
mauromol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #108
mauromol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauromol View Post
I have recently upgraded from Linux Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu 16.04) to Kubuntu 20.04. The improvement I see in DisplayLink behavior is noticeable: no more screen corruptions even if I use the OpenGL compositor and VSync, for instance, and no apparent performance issue (the video seems to work just fine, like if I had the monitor connected directly to the HDMI port of my notebook).
I must partially correct myself. Indeed, after some minutes of usage and when there are many applications open, the DisplayLinkManager process almost constantly eats from 0,5 to 1 full core of my CPU (12%-25% of an i5 Haswell 4-core CPU).
Sometimes you won't notice it, but sometimes it slows down the system a lot...
The audio problem remains, too.
mauromol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #109
snipe122

Today I have closed my laptop screen, just to try. And guess what, no lag anymore. Is this problem finally fixed? Running Ubuntu 20.10 with latest updates.
snipe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:21 AM   #110
bbrout

Am attempting to get Displaylink USB/VGA adapter to work on Ubuntu 20.04 with NVIDIA Card. I have filled my video ports with three monitors and need to add a fourth. I have installed Ubuntu driver from Displaylink site and upgraded with xserver patch for 20.04. Still no joy. lsusb "sees" the Displaylink as:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 17e9:4300 DisplayLink Displaylink USB3.0 Display

but no action on the attached monitor. Am using CableCreation Adaptor.

Attached is the Linux Support tool zip file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DLSupportTool_Output_2020-12-15T19:01:49.071570.zip (150.1 KB, 0 views)
bbrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ubuntu 20