Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 05-30-2022, 06:10 PM   #1
BenKeller

Default How many monitors can Displaylink chips support?

I'm pointing this question to Alban because I have found in depth answers elsewhere on the forum from you and I think you would know the answer. More than happy to have responses from others also.

I was previously trying to use a Dell D6000 as Alban noted here, https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65335, the third monitor isn't on your technology.

Do you have any idea how Baseus has deployed your technology in https://us.baseus.com/p/baseus-docki...cos-laptops-71 in terms of supporting a 3rd and 4th monitor?

More generally, does your chip even support 3 or 4 displays? Is every manufacturer of docks using your chips and offering more than 2 monitors, also deploying some other chip/technology to go beyond two monitors?

Thank you.
BenKeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:09 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Ben,
It depends on the chip and the number of chips used. On the DL-6000 series, it goes from 1 to 4. But you can daisy chain and add more.

I looked at the Baseus description in details.
Because the image called "MacBook 16 inch (Extend Mode)" has the two bottom extended displays showing identical content and the description talks about 4Kp30 on DP1.2 laptops, I believe that docking station is an hybrid dock.

Hybrid meaning it uses two technologies. DisplayLink DL-6950 to offer dual 4Kp60 whatever the laptop/USB connector shape, and DisplayPort MST (Multi-Stream Transport for more than 1 display) for the remaining two with capability dependent on the laptop OS and GPU (note that DisplayPort MST can be made available to an HDMI socket on the dock so looking at the dock cannot tell you what's driving it). macOS does not support MST, that's why both monitors show identical content. DisplayPort on that dock requires a USB-C plug.
The Dell D6000 you are talking about is using a DisplayLink DL-6950 + DisplayPort SST (Single Stream Transport for a single display).

DisplayLink DL-6910 chipset can drive up to 4x 4Kp60. An example is Targus Dock570.
DisplayLink DL-6950 dual 4Kp60.

We also have older generation products driving 3 and 4 displays using only DisplayLink technology.
Hybrid docks are currently very popular.

Regards, Alban
Note that DisplayLink has been part of Synaptics since 2020 and Synaptics portfolio also includes DisplayPort MST technology.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 02:45 PM   #3
AlfredW

Hi Alban,

Not OP but thanks for this, one additional question I have that I could not find any answer online or from Targus's rep that can confirm one way or the other:
for the DL-6910 chipset - or Dock 570 in particular - are the 4 supported displays driven exclusively as DisplayLink virtual display? (And not through some hybrid mode)

What I am really trying to figure out is if I can use a Mac mini that natively supports only two external display to drive a total of 6 displays -
4 through DisplayLink + 2 natively (through USB-C DP Alt Mode).

I also noticed this other thread mentioned "macOS supports a maximum of 4 virtual displays whatever they're technology".
I suppose the setup I mentioned above is still under this limit and will work correctly?
https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?p=93494

Thank you
AlfredW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 03:20 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hi Alfred,
The DL-6910 is a chipset with 4 outputs using DisplayLink technology. It's kind of like two synchronized DL-6950.
The Targus Dock570 is using that chipset only, there's no Alt-Mode, no hybrid.

On macOS today, we are using a virtual display API which currently has a limit of 4 displays.
The notion of Virtual is to say they're not directly connected to the GPU (like Alt-Mode, TB or the HDMI port behind the mac mini). In Windows it's called "Indirect Displays" to express the same thing.
This API limit is on top of the GPU "direct" capability.

Could I ask what type of application do you need more than 4 displays for? That's interesting for us to understand where the technology is used to steer developments.

Thanks,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 01:32 PM   #5
AlfredW

Understood, that's pretty clear - thanks for the response. I will look into getting one.

It is mostly just for work applications used in finance - think dashboards, terminals, spreadsheets and other WinForms-like applications. Nothing fancy or graphics intensive.
I have an egpu at the moment but apple silicon dropped support for that with their usual you-dont-need-that argument... probably, I don't know : )

Anyway, thanks again
AlfredW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:19 AM   #6
nospam

I use a Dell D6000 with an Inspiron 15 5510/5518 laptop connected via TB. I have a 34" ultrawide 3840x1440@100hz (DP) and two 27" 2560x1440@75hz (DP/HDMI). Plus my laptop screen so all up 4 screens running well at the same time.
nospam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitors not detected