Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 11-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_pint! View Post
Recently bought a Dell XPS13, Windows 7 OS, and a Targus USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Dual Video Docking Station with Power and have had nothing but probs with internet connections. When initally setup the equipment on our small office network everything seemed to work fine, except we thought the internet connection was unreasonably slow. Then disconnects started happening with recovery after a few seconds to a minute. As of yesterday, we can't get out to the internet at all with the network cable plugged in through the targus docking station.
The Ethernet on the dock does not support half duplex. If you plug it into a half duplex port (eg an Ethernet hub) you will see really slow Ethernet performance due to the collisions on the wire.

Could this be the issue?

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #22
half_pint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
The Ethernet on the dock does not support half duplex. If you plug it into a half duplex port (eg an Ethernet hub) you will see really slow Ethernet performance due to the collisions on the wire.

Could this be the issue?

Wim
Wim -
That might be the case as we have an older router SMC 7004VBR Barricade and it auto-negotiates transmission modes to either duplex or half-duplex. Hmmmmm.....
Thanks for the idea.
Deb
half_pint! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
XPS_GPE

Hello

I too am having the exact same issues with an XPS laptop and the Targus 3.0 docking station.

I have also tested this on a newer latitude laptop and it has the same issue.

Problems running it on both Windows 7 32 and 64bit clients.

When I first installed the device , it worked perfectly.
But following a reboot it fell over and refused to work.
At one stage , I could get it working if we unplugged the power to the targus but this has given up being a workaround.

The USB 2.0 side of the targus works , but I get no video or NIC.
USB keyboard and mouse will work on any of the ports on the tragus hub.

The displaylink.exe does not appear in the notifications area and refuses to start if we click on it manually.

I am running the latest BIOS on the XPS (A07)
The fresco logic usb 3.0 drivers are at the lastest version (3.5.93.0)

Come on Displaylink , tell us it's an known issue and when it will be resolved !
XPS_GPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPS_GPE View Post
Hello

I too am having the exact same issues with an XPS laptop and the Targus 3.0 docking station.

I have also tested this on a newer latitude laptop and it has the same issue.

Problems running it on both Windows 7 32 and 64bit clients.

When I first installed the device , it worked perfectly.
But following a reboot it fell over and refused to work.
At one stage , I could get it working if we unplugged the power to the targus but this has given up being a workaround.

The USB 2.0 side of the targus works , but I get no video or NIC.
USB keyboard and mouse will work on any of the ports on the tragus hub.

The displaylink.exe does not appear in the notifications area and refuses to start if we click on it manually.

I am running the latest BIOS on the XPS (A07)
The fresco logic usb 3.0 drivers are at the lastest version (3.5.93.0)

Come on Displaylink , tell us it's an known issue and when it will be resolved !
This is not specifically a problem with Ethernet and I've answered this on your separate thread here:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2154

Wim
Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #25
Isobel

I am having similar problems with a Dell XPS 13 L322X and the Targus USB 3.0 SuperSpeed™ Dual Video Docking Station with Power : ACP71USZ

The usb2 drivers plugged and played and I have since tried installing the remaining drivers using the downloadable msi and exe files, but the Ethernet and USB audio devices sit unhappily in Device Manager with no drivers and refuse to play.

Ideally, I would like to be able to install all of the drivers using an msi or as part of a driver package through SCCM but just getting them to work at all would be nice.

I have updated the bios and all other drivers for the XPS. Any suggestions?

ETA: I am running 64bit Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

Last edited by Isobel; 12-07-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Isobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #26
bagt

Default Same problem with HP Probook

I am having similar problems with 6 HP Probook with Windows 7 64 bits and the Targus USB 3.0 SuperSpeed™ Dual Video Docking Station with Power : ACP71EU

3 works great, 3 not : one works during 1 week , one during 1 day (+display problem) and another during 1 hour (+ display problem )

display problem = same symptom that this topic

Hard reset, update driver Chipset Intel , reinstall last Display Link Software, manual setting MAC address => always the same network problem

3 Docking stations was changed by my provider, 2 works now et 1 again network problem after 1 day (no display problem this time).

Is a hardware Targus problem (bad review here) or DisplayLink software ???
bagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #27
Isobel

My issue was resolved by plugging a monitor into the dock. I couldn't successfully install software or drivers without a monitor connected. As soon as I plugged in the monitor, everything showed up successfully.
Isobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #28
spacklewoof

I can confirm we have had the same issues here, but only with one Dell XPS13 Core I7 laptop. Every other seems to work fine, and it is just one laptop that struggles with ethernet connectivity. Plugged into Dell 6248p switch, ethernet connectivity drops frequently during operation and takes approximately 2 mins to restore itself after about 15-45 mins of proper operation.
spacklewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #29
Wim

Yes, I don't think the Ethernet drivers or audio drivers were installed until a display was connected, which would trigger the install. I *think* this is fixed in 7.1, so the Ethernet and audio drivers are installed without a monitor connected.

spacklewoof - this sounds more like hardware if it is just happening on 1 dock. Do the network lights on the dock go out when it happens?

Wim
Old 02-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #30
sdennis

Default Got my GB Ethernet to work

I had a similar issue to everyone else here. I bought two Dell USB 3.0 docking stations (Dell formerly used the Targus docks, but now has them branded by DisplayLink for Dell). One never worked, and the other worked for a while then stopped. I went over some things with Dell, and we even replaced one, but nothing changed. Then one of the Dell techs had me update the NIC driver, BIOS, chipset drivers, and Dell Feature Enhancement software. After installing this I rebooted and the GB port worked. Then we noticed that pushing the cable all the way in caused to lose linkl light. Pulling the cable out until the security clip stopped it resulted in the lights coming back on. It appears that the contact pins inside the port may be short and pushing the cable in as far as it will go results in a loss of connectivity.
sdennis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gigabit ethernet, targus, usb 3.0