Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #61
DirkV71

Same issue on a XPS13 with Dell D3100...do someone need some debuging stuff?!

Greetings, Dirk
Old 03-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #62
Domdus

Default 8.2 Beta !2! with big change

Hi,

I tested 8.2 Beta 1 - 8.2.1336 for last weeks which had a slightly better performance than versions before. I still applied the fix at the processes priority for WUDFHost.exe, I mentioned earlier here.

Now I found and tried out the 8.2 Beta 2 and it resolves my issues completely.

In detail, it seems there is only one instance of the WUDFHost.exe in the list of processes (not many) and it does not show any high load behavior - no matter what I do in the display link screen.
Lagging is gone is well.

Best Regards
Old 03-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #63
jeremy

Default Also happens with Dell D1000 Dock on Dell Systems

We are seeing this issue across our organization. We have Latitude E5570 with Dell D1000 docks. We use these docks for two monitors, USB inputs, and Ethernet. Our display cables are Display Port and (can be any of the following) HDMI-to-DVI/VGA-to-VGA/HDMI-to-HDMI. We may also use audio if the users have the auxiliary speakers attached.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help or any additional details you need about our environment.

Here's my system info:
1. Windows 10 Build Number (available from System_Details.txt of our Customer Support Tool). Home/Pro/Enterprise is not needed.

OS Build: 10.0.14393.0

2. Enumerate each display, its resolution and if it is connected to the graphics card or a USB adapter (available from System_Details.txt as well).

DELL P2214H Manufacturer: DEL ProductCode: A097 Serial: KW14V478528L Built: 28/2014
DELL P2214H Manufacturer: DEL ProductCode: A098 Serial: KW14V4CF27KL Built: 51/2014

3. The CPU ***full*** name including the numbers after iX (available from System_Details.txt as well). Generation is more important to understand the architecture rather than if it is an i3 or i7.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz

4. The GPU details (available from System_Details.txt as well).

Graphics: DisplayLink USB Device (DisplayLink)
Graphics Driver: 8.0.762.0 Dated 2016/08/17
Graphics: DisplayLink USB Device (DisplayLink)
Graphics Driver: 8.0.762.0 Dated 2016/08/17
Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (Intel Corporation)
Graphics Driver: 21.20.16.4574 Dated 2016/12/23

5. What you include in your CPU usage (which processes: overall, WUDF, DWM...). Note: I really need WUDF more than the rest as DWM is a Windows process).

WUDFHost.exe @ 30% when active. Using Skype, jumps to 70%.
Desktop Window Manager stays between .7% and 3%.

6. The value of CPU being used.

50-70% with normal usage.

7. What happens on ALL indirect displays (indirect = through USB). If you have Task Manager on an indirect display, then it is NOT idling as content changes!!! This is really one of the most important point. Here are some examples:
7a. Content fully static: nothing changes at all, and I mean nothing, not the clock, not the mouse pointer.

WUDF idles between .2% and 3%.

7b. Some little area changes: like for instance you only have some numbers on the clock or the numbers in Task Manager.

WUDF idles the same as 7a.

7c. Only the mouse pointer across indirect displays. (if you do this, please do NOT use the mouse trail accessibility feature or this is the same use case as 7b).

WUDF is active 26-33%.

7d. Moving a window. Indicate an idea of the size of the window... I mean moving a 10x10 pixels windows is obviously fundamentally different to moving a 4kx4k one.

WUDF is active 38-46% moving a Chrome window half the size of one of my monitors. Oddly enough, Chrome usage spikes.
WUDF is active 38-42% moving a Skype for Business 2016 window 1/3 the size of one of my monitors. Even more odd, the input lag from moving the single window is several seconds, whereas the Chrome window had very little.

7e. Playing video on VLC

WUDF is active 30-45%.

7f. Playing video on a browser (and the value is constant across browsers). Our driver CANNOT differentiate which browser is playing.

WUDF is active from 28-40%.

7g. Game, full screen or windowed? Games do NOT use the same as video playback.

No games are installed on our PCs.

8. Which version of DisplayLink driver you are running as, like Windows builds, they don't all have the same features. (available from System_Details.txt as well).

DisplayLink Graphics Driver (8.0.778.0) on 2017/03/20 Status is Installed
This is the driver available from Dell's site for the D1000 USB docking station. Will be attempting the same tests with the latest drivers as well after seeing this thread.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #64
dgreczyn

I am having high CPU issues as well with a D3100

1. OS Build: 10.0.14393.0
OS Build Label: 14393.rs1_release.161220-1747

2. Monitors Connected:
DELL P2414H Manufacturer: DEL ProductCode: A09A Serial: 524N34CR7NJU Built: 52/2014 (1920x1080)
DELL P2414H Manufacturer: DEL ProductCode: A09B Serial: 524N34CR89FU Built: 52/2014 (1920x1080)

3. CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz
Number of Cores: 4

4. Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro M1000M (NVIDIA)

5&6. WUDF typically between 38% and 48%

7. Only using external displays (details above), all screen refresh is delayed. Minimizing/resizing windows, dragging windows around the desktop when not in full-screen mode, videos are always choppy (especially noticeable in browser, like youtube for example)

8. Graphics: DisplayLink USB Device (DisplayLink)
Graphics Driver: 8.2.1407.0 Dated 2017/03/06

Laptop is a Dell Precision 5510

My laptop often completely hangs to the point where I need to forcibly shutdown

Last edited by dgreczyn; 03-23-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:31 PM   #65
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Thank you for those who have tested 8.2 Beta 2 and sent their feedback.
8.2 M0 has now been delivered and includes some performance improvements.

A team is allocated full time to looking at the CPU usage in some particular use cases based on your reports.
Some applications are not really good citizens and send us constant full screen updates when they show static content (like the inbox Photos application, or Spotify). Improving the behaviour for these suboptimal applications is a longer term feature.
The team has also identified particular situations with video playback where we can save some calculations and therefore lighten the load significantly.

We have had to build dedicated test rigs and code to make sure we can make reliable measurements instead of relying on subjective impressions.
A second team will join the effort when they have finished current commitments.

We keep putting significant money and development resource into delivering incremental improvements.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
Old 04-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #66
tbone

Alban, thanks for your and your team's efforts on delivering this update and working with your users. I just installed it and although I have not yet put the computer through its normal paces, I can "hear" some improvement... meaning the fan is not spinning up as much due to high CPU use.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #67
tuath

Default Logging

Is there a way to log which applications are not being good citizens and doing full screen refreshes ? maybe we can force their owners to modify.

Also, since the Indirect Display Driver stuff, how do we force Microsoft to take action on performance issues ? i.e. i think i understood that OpenGL isn`t accelerated anymore because Indirect drivers doesn`t yet have OpenGL passthrough...

Thanks, Erik.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #68
zephnn

The Windows creator update finally fixed all my issues! No lag anymore and no high CPU usage for WUDFHost.exe
Old 04-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #69
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuath View Post
Is there a way to log which applications are not being good citizens and doing full screen refreshes ? maybe we can force their owners to modify.

Also, since the Indirect Display Driver stuff, how do we force Microsoft to take action on performance issues ? i.e. i think i understood that OpenGL isn`t accelerated anymore because Indirect drivers doesn`t yet have OpenGL passthrough...

Thanks, Erik.
Hi Erik, I advise you to use the Windows Feedback Hub to ask for the OpenGL ones.
I know they are working on it. There are two different aspects, OpenGL and OpenGL ES.

For the full screen updates, I don't know how you can get that without a development environment showing frames. I was wrong about the Photo app, it behaves correctly.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
Old 04-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #70
fumtik

Default Creators' Update

I updated to Windows 10 1703 (Creators' Update) and now every time I connect to my HooToo DisplayLink Certified docking station my CPU pegs at 100%. Made sure all my drivers were up to date and even tried using the DisplayLink Cleanup utility to fully rip out the old DisplayLink driver(s) and install the most current (8.2) but the issue persists. The issue immediately goes away as soon as I disconnect the USB docking station. This same computer/docking station have been functioning just fine for over 2 years. I ended up reverting back to Win10 1607 and the issue has cleared up. Please advise..... Logs attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BVA-WESD_20170412_124123.zip (950.5 KB, 1 views)
Closed Thread