Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 02-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
giuliocoluccia

Default Issues with Ubuntu 16.04.2 with kernel 4.8

I've just upgraded my Dell laptop to Ubuntu 16.04.2 with kernel 4.8. External monitor is totally unusable, everything slows down to the point that it freezes after a while. I attach 3 outputs of the Linux support tool. 01.zip contains the output with external monitor disabled, only built-in (everything is fine). 02.zip the output in the dual monitor configuration (freeze). 03.zip with the builtin monitor off, only external (freeze).
Attached Files
File Type: zip 01.zip (494.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: zip 02.zip (500.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: zip 03.zip (455.6 KB, 2 views)
giuliocoluccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
giuliocoluccia

I tried to uninstall the driver then reinstall it again. Now it seems that the external display is completely ignored by the Operating System. No trace of DisplayLink among running processes. Attaching the output of the Linux Support Tool.

I've even tried to run a live Ubuntu 16.04 with kernel 4.8 (the one one would eventually get if he/she downloads ubuntu since today), tried to install the driver and the same happens. No sign of life from the external display.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 04.zip (59.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by giuliocoluccia; 02-17-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the live experiment
Old 02-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
mlukaszek

I smell some problems with USB on your machine or maybe the connection of the dock to the laptop.

If you inspect the dmesg of the most recent attachment, it's full of:
[ 108.450644] usb 4-1-port4: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?

Cheers,
Michal
mlukaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
giuliocoluccia

I don't think so... the cable is the same I used with the old kernel. Moreover, the docking station has working usb ports, audio outputs and LAN...
Old 02-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
giuliocoluccia

I'm more and more convinced that this is a software issue. I've tried to connect my docking station to another pc not upgraded to kernel 4.8. No errors in the syslog related to the cable. Then I've plugged it again to my laptop and the monitor woke up. No errors in the syslog related to the cable. But still unusable (very slow, high cpu usage by DisplayLink server). I attach the report of the Support Tool.
Attached Files
File Type: zip caratinga_2017-02-20T09:57:09.248676.zip (226.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
mlukaszek

I am trying to get my head around it
Could you please clarify one thing: do I read correctly that this happens when you close the laptop lid (so the built-in screen is off)?
If yes, is the same problem visible when you keep the lid open (and do not disable the built-in screen)?

Cheers,
Michal
mlukaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
giuliocoluccia

This is what it looked in the first place. I tried again this morning (the kernel updated, I hoped this was fixed) and it seems that the problem arises just connecting the external monitor, no matter if the lid is on or off. The problem is significantly amplified when I open Google Chorme, which is unusable. If I unplug the external monitor or I connect it with the displayport, everything works fine.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #8
giuliocoluccia

Let mi know it there's any test I can run to help you understand. Thank you!
I hoped that this morning's update of kernel and hardware enablement stack could fix the issue but still no luck. I attach the report of the support tool.
Attached Files
File Type: zip caratinga_2017-02-22T09:48:54.113789.zip (222.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by giuliocoluccia; 02-22-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
jerrinot

Default Same problem on Thinpad T540p

Hello,

I'm also running Ubuntu 16.04.2 with the 4.8 kernel and I'm experiencing massive slowdown as well. I tried to upgrade the driver to the version 1.3.52, but it made no observable difference. Chrome is really unusable, even gedit is super slow.

I believe I was on 4.8 kernel even before and it worked fine. The slowdown happened when I enabled the full Ubuntu HWE stack and Xorg got upgraded to a newer version.

glxgears reports 1 FPS when I move the window to a display connected via DisplayLink. Unfortunatekly I don't know FPS before the HWE upgrade.
jerrinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
giuliocoluccia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrinot View Post
Hello,

I'm also running Ubuntu 16.04.2 with the 4.8 kernel and I'm experiencing massive slowdown as well. I tried to upgrade the driver to the version 1.3.52, but it made no observable difference. Chrome is really unusable, even gedit is super slow.

I believe I was on 4.8 kernel even before and it worked fine. The slowdown happened when I enabled the full Ubuntu HWE stack and Xorg got upgraded to a newer version.

glxgears reports 1 FPS when I move the window to a display connected via DisplayLink. Unfortunatekly I don't know FPS before the HWE upgrade.
I confirm each and every symptom. And the same happens if I boot Ubuntu with the 4.4 kernel choosing it from GRUB.