Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
tuath

Default Windows 8.1. bug with 7.4m2 doesn't permit connected standby

Using an Acer Iconia W3-810 that was clean installed to Windows 8.1, I was forced to use my Targus DisplayLink based product so that I can get a usb hub for which (so that I can attach a keyboard and mouse).

That forced WIndows update to install the driver for DisplayLink and after that I have upgraded to fix a bug where the intel graphics driver would crash on video. this bug was fixed by updating to 7.4M2.

I had to uninstall Displaylink in order to get connected standby to work again, where the system would fall into a super slow power mode.
tuath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

To help us investigate the issue, please download this tool:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

As soon as the issue is seen, please run it and select "Gather Support Information"

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
tuath

Default follow-up

unfortunately, I cannot reinstall the displaylink software on the tablet as it is being used in active development and out of my reach for the coming weeks.

You can diagnose the problem by doing :
powercfg.exe /sleepstudy

on a computer with Windows 8.1 x64 RTM that supports connected standby. I do not know if this is a "acer iconia" thing or if it would be reproducible on another connected standby system such as a MIcrosoft Surface.

I have attached the log file out powercfg, the system goes from consuming an avg of 500 mW or power to 61 mW at the point in time where I have removed the Displaylink driver.
Attached Files
File Type: zip energy-report.zip (3.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by tuath; 10-15-2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added a file
Old 10-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
JamesH

Hi,

Can you confirm if connected standby was working for you with R7.4 M0?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
tuath

Nope, I can't confirm that it was working with any other version...

I only plugged it into to the displaylink box so that I could use it as a hub for the keyboard, mice and ethernet... The Acer Iconia with Windwows 8.1 RTM doesn't come with inbox drivers for the Z2760 and so the touchscreen didn't work out of the box neither the wifi...
Old 11-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
dawser

I have been able to reproduce this problem with a new Dell Venue 8 Pro and a Plugable 3000 USB 3.0 docking station. Before installing the Displaylink drivers, connected standby would drain less than 1% of the battery per hour. After I installed the drivers, the Intel GPU would never go to sleep, so battery drain would be over 6% per hour while in sleep mode, basically losing half of the battery during the night, while the tablet sleeps.

Running "powercfg.exe /sleepstudy" shows the Intel GPU always running at 100%, while the rest of the system reaches a low power state.

After uninstalling the Displaylink drivers, the problem disappears. The Intel GPU disappears from the report, and battery drain again becomes normal.

It is very easy to reproduce.

I was on Windows 8.1 32-bit with the latest Displaylink drivers (7.4M2), automatically installed by Windows and verified against the downloadable version number. I haven't had any other Displaylink driver on my system before that. The tablet is two weeks old.
dawser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
Dan
Banned

Thanks dawser! We'll look into it.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
yongcat

Has there been any updates on this issue?

I have the same issue as dawser (Dell Venue 8 Pro also), and a solution would be great!
yongcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
jeffg

Same thing for me on my Dell Venue 8 pro. I also see issues on my Yoga 11s with the DisplayLink driver installed. I've even tried with the latest 7.5 M0 driver here:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/sla.php?fileid=103

And still the same thing. Please fix this!
jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
dawser

Is there any idea of when this will be fixed?

I understand this problem may be hard to fix, but maybe there should be a warning on the product stating these drivers don't work with Windows 8 connected standby. If I had known about this issue I wouldn't have bought it. The adapter works great, but it is hard to justify having a driver installed that eats the battery in hours even with the tablet idle, disconnected from the dock and in sleep mode.
dawser is offline   Reply With Quote