Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release

Old 11-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
thirsh

Default No Display Link System Tray Application (or video)

Downloaded and installed the Nov 25 2009 driver on my Acer Aspire One netbook running Windows 7 Home Premium with a Kensington USB docking station. Seemed to go okay but no video was being displayed yet. However, the DisplayLink utility was now visible in the system tray (now called the notification area).

The tooltip it displayed when mousing over it read, "Click here to update this software". I clicked but nothing happened. I right-clicked and double clicked as well, but it wouldn't do anything. I rebooted and now the icon for the utility is no longer displayed (and I still have no video on my second monitor). I have verified that the DisplayLinkManager windows service is running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by thirsh; 11-28-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
water-escape

same problem here.

Have a Mimo740.
it works fine and automatically in win7 64 bit.

now i need to use it in win7 32bit.
Drivers install fine, but give an incompatibility error and does not run.
Tried another win 7 32 bit system, no luck. How do i get my usb screen working on win 7 32 bit??
Old 11-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Martin

Hi,

Can you please post the displaylink debugging files here so that I can try to work out what has gone wrong. You should find them at c:\program files\displaylink core software\debug\.

Normally if the icon doesn't appear, you should ensure the device is correctly plugged in, give it a wiggle and reattach a couple of times. If there is a genuine compatibility issue, the logs should spell out what it is.

Best regards,
Martin.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
water-escape

thx for your message.
I will look that up later today.

But the problems i have is on 2 computers. (both 32bit win7). i already tried it 10 times, automatically, custum. etc. But it only works on the 64bit.

(the touch part works, when i use test. The mouse moves on the main screen then But i have no screen on the mimo.

I will try it again and look up the debugger.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
thirsh

I'm running 32-bit as well.

I'll post those files tonight. I'll also try reconnecting the video cable and digital video adapter, but am not too hopeful for that...
Old 12-02-2009, 02:49 AM   #6
thirsh

Here are the requested debug files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLinkCoreDebugFiles.zip (23.6 KB, 1647 views)
Old 12-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
thirsh

Are you guys looking at the debug files or are you hoping this will go away on its own?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Duncan

I had a similar problem with the Kensington dock not showing video on the connected monitor also on Win7 32bit. Everything else on the dock worked (network and usb connectors)

This may sound like a strange solution, but I removed the power cable to the kensington dock and suddenly everything worked. Makes me question why they provide a power supply to the dock.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
Martin

Hi Thirsh,

The logs indicate that there is a usb issue preventing the software from detecting the usb display. Please try changing the cable, or the port on the host.

Regards,
Martin
Old 12-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
thirsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Hi Thirsh,

The logs indicate that there is a usb issue preventing the software from detecting the usb display. Please try changing the cable, or the port on the host.

Regards,
Martin
It seems that Duncan is on to something. If I remove the power supply and then plug it back in, the device seems to register itself as a drive and launches the installer. This was an older version of the driver - it eventually resulted in a message that it is not compatible with my version of windows (7). But, then the DisplayLink Device system tray utility was there and I was actually getting video!

Furthor tested revealed that I can simply cancel the installer and the DisplayLink utility still shows up and works. I can also remove and reconnect the usb cable going to the dock and everything still works.

The only issue is on a reboot - the utility does not run and I get no video unless I disconnect and reconnect the power to the dock.

Martin, you had mentioned changing the port on the host. Do you mean the physical USB port on the netbook that I am plugging the cable in?

Tags
acer aspire one, kensington, windows 7