Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.4 Software Release

Old 06-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Starnamer

Default Will 5.4 fix the flickering issue with WPF applications?

It's been noted that the exisiting driver (5.3) has problems with Microsoft's new Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) when using multiple DisplayLink devices - displays flicker and randomly change resolution.

Since Microsoft is releasing more products that use this, e.g. Visual Studio 2010 (including Express editions), will the 5.4 release fix this issue?

Last edited by Starnamer; 06-26-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #2
angusmaul

Default WPF issues

I've been having same isues with Evernote 3.5, Visual Studio Express 2010 and most recently the new version of flash.

So I installed the beta driver and all seemed to be working nicely, until the next day and the flickering was back, this is incredibly frustrating with flash now, as when websites have embedded video is kicking off the flickering constantly now.

I'm seriously considering unplugging the second displaylink if this continues, this needs to be resolved as a priority as more apps are having issues and the main selling point of display link is that you can have multiple of them running.

To confirm i'm using 2 displaylink devices with windows XP, were planning on moving to Windows 7 but this wont be for 6-12 months at the earliest.

Last edited by angusmaul; 07-07-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Added detail
Old 07-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Wim

Hi All

We are aware of problems with WPF apps on Windows XP with more than 2 adapters. Can you confirm that this is your configuration?

We believe there are no WPF problems on Vista and Windows 7.

We do want to find a fix, but its not an easy problem to fix due to the interaction of WPF and DisplayLink on XP.

Wim
Old 07-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Starnamer

Default Configuration: Dual adapters on XP

As reported in another thread, the configuration mainly use is dual adapters on XP. I bought the adapters for my personal use, but found the multiple screens so useful I've been using them at work too, where the current standard is XP.

I haven't yet tried running dual adapters on my Windows 7 system. I'll let you know as soon as I do.

If there is no problem with Vista or 7, then this may soon become a non-issue for me, as we recently recieved notification from our Global IT team of the plan to move to 7 as standard within the next year. So I'll probably switch in the near future.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
ayaz

I am having the horrible flickering issue when trying to use Visual Studio 2010 on XP, with two adapters. This is with the latest 5.4 beta drivers. In fact I still have issues when I unplug the adapters - I have to unplug and restart the PC to get Visual Studio to run.

Update.. with the 5.4b1 driver upgrade I can unplug one of the adapters and start visual studio fine.. so yes, I can also confirm that this seems to be an issue with more than 1 adapter on XP.

Last edited by ayaz; 07-29-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Starnamer

Default Powerpoint 2010 also flickers...

(with 2 adapters on XP).

Presumably because it also uses WPF.

Fortunately, Word 2010 and Excel 2010 don't seem to use WPF; at least, they don't cause screen flicker.

Tags
flickering, multple monitors, wpf