Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 07-22-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
erik070

Default D6000 disconnects at random

I've been trying to use a D6000 port replicator with a Dell XPS 15 9570. Problems I'm running into is that the D6000 seems to disconnect at random multiple times per hour, making it unusable.

What I tried:
- Disabled USB from going to sleep ( https://displaylink.org/forum/showpo...8&postcount=15 )
- Installed multiple displaylink drivers (5.2.14, 5.1, 4.4.24), all with similar results.
- Nvidia proprietary drivers 430 and 390 but also Nouveau drivers
- Re-installing the OS completely (colleague does not have the issue I have with exact similar hardware and port replicator)
- Tried different port replicators (all D6000s)
- Tried using USB-A instead of USB-C. It seems to be less with USB-A but the issue is still present at least once a hour.

I'm probably missing something very obvious that noone else seems to have because my colleague does not have any issues.
Last thing I thought of was the when the laptop is fully charged via usb-c it will disconnect the usb-c and thus the monitors as well. But I just had the same issue again with 95% battery.

Attached log files from DL support tool.

Update:
Noticed that when the monitors go off that Displays in settings still sees the 2 monitors connected to the D6000. Mouse and keyboard also still work.

Update2:
Did some more testing and it's going well for the last 2 hours (issue occurred about every 30 minutes). What I did/applied:

#### installed Displaylink driver 5.1.26

#### Disable USB AutoSuspend
* `sudo gedit /etc/default/tlp` and change the below value from `1` to `0`

```
USB_AUTOSUSPEND=0
```

* `sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/01-usb-dock.rules`. This will create a new file.

```
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1bcf", ATTR{idProduct}=="2b95", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1bcf", ATTR{idProduct}=="0005", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1d6b", ATTR{idProduct}=="0002", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1d6b", ATTR{idProduct}=="0003", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04d9", ATTR{idProduct}=="0143", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04f3", ATTR{idProduct}=="24a1", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="05e3", ATTR{idProduct}=="0608", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="05e3", ATTR{idProduct}=="0610", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="05e3", ATTR{idProduct}=="0620", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="06c4", ATTR{idProduct}=="c411", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17e9", ATTR{idProduct}=="6006", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"

#### Disable Display Power Management
* `sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf` Append the below options to the file.

```
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DVI-I-3-2"
Option "DPMS" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DVI-I-2-1"
Option "DPMS" "false"
EndSection
```
In my case xorg.conf was missing. I created a xorg.conf file and placed it in /usr/share/X11

#### Disable audio suspend
* `sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa`. Comment out the line indicated below.

```
### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
# load-module module-suspend-on-idle
```

#### Disable USB wake in BIOS
Boot into the BIOS by pressing the F12 key as the machine turns on. Under `Power Management` >> `USB Wake Support` uncheck both boxes.

#### Ran these command to ouput to dev/null in some cases (only for XPS usb-c, for other USB you can use 2-2.1 instead of 4-1.1): (source: https://displaylink.org/forum/showth...t=65476&page=2 )
echo on | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/4-1.1/power/level > /dev/null
echo 2 | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/4-1.1/power/autosuspend > /dev/null

And I think most of these settings are not even necessary and the output to dev/null did the trick mostly.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DLSupportTool_Output_2019-07-22T17:08:46.547145.zip (983.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by erik070; 07-24-2019 at 02:15 PM.
erik070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
JamesH

Recommend installing the latest dock firmware from here:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk...sal-dock-d6000
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
erik070

Thanks JamesH, would have tried that if it was not already working. Don't want to touch it now as it might break again. Finally had a week without dock issues, want to keep it that way.
erik070 is offline   Reply With Quote