Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 09-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #1
ScreamCZE

Lightbulb DisplayLink and Nvidia Optimus/G-Sync - Predator Triton 500 (RTX 2060)

Hello,

Recetly we bought acer triton 500 with TB3 port.
RTX 2060 + 8750H 144Hz + G-Sync monitor Predator XB1

We have a couple of problems.
Recently I've read that the windows is working on the fix which will include the ability to properly switch the GPU on the Nvidia or AMD (dedicated one) when the integrated graphic card is apparent.

So I've hooked up the adapter or docking station and this happened.

I´ve set my main monitor to the DisplayLink one.
I opened app (rocket league, Pubg, Adobe premier or some demanding app which will run or hook onto the NVIDIA one)
In every case, if it was a game it was starting but the picture never showed up.
I get the white screen or blank screen and nothing was happening but in the device manager, I can see it is running and I could even hear the sound.
On the adobe side it was clearly running under the iGPU one the performance was horrible. Even tho i set it to run under Nvidia one.

When I set the game or app to run on iGPU it started normally but it was hooked onto the iGPU instead of the Nvidia one.

As I've read the forum i saw that there should be a fix for that in recent windows updates.
But suddenly i have the newest (windows insider) and still, it is not working.

Also there is a problem with G-sync monitor but i have seen on your forum that the G-sync monitors can be out of spec...
Will there be any fix regarding this?

If you want to i can provide you with everything that you need.

Also tested another thing when I tried to run the game and set my main monitor onto the built-in one then it was running and I could even move it onto the DisplayLink one but the game and GPUs behave strangely. The FPS counter showed slightly lower fps and the device manager showed that the iGPU is more utilized than before which should be correct.
But on the screen, it was apparent that the FPS that it is showing up are not correct and are same as you run the app under the iGPU setting.
When you drag the app back onto the built-in one the FPS and utilization jump back to where it was.

I hope that you can provide me with some good info or some info about incoming fix regarding this and Nvidia Optimus and so on.

The chip inside the USB 3.0 adapter is DL-6950.
ScreamCZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Scream,

1. The multi-GPU fix is for Windows 10 v1903 with latest updates.
If you say it's obvious you're still on the iGPU and not on dGPU despite selecting the dGPU, I believe you are not running Windows 10 v1903. If you were running outdated Windows 10 v1903, the application would crash at startup if selecting the dGPU.
Would you please be able to check?

2. Yes, most likely. We have been able to find a way to reconfigure unused ASIC resource to workaround the monitor issue. It was very complex not to destabilise compliant displays. We have a Predator XB1 we tested this on, successfully.
Initially planned for 9.3 M0, I am not satisfied about the wait it would mean. Therefore I am trying to get an 9.2 M2+ development build (= not a formal release, but based on 9.2 M2 + that fix only as a preview) that I could share privately. I will use the ticket you created for that.

Kind regards,
Alban
Ref 30667 + UV16795

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
ScreamCZE

Hello,

1. No im running 1903 preview build 18985.1 for sure!
Today i have an update for 189901.1 .

Basically last couple days i have been trying to run different types of apps and games and I've managed to run a lot of them.

But im having problems with UE3 and Source engine as well.
The game launch but you can't see anything on the screen.
The game seems to be active so when i press the left mouse button it redirects me to the website with some advertisement by rocket league and that section is clickable through main menu.

Same for the CS: GO which is on the source engine. The game starts it will show you black, white, or transparent screen when you can see the game is running but nothing is on the monitor itself.
No Error message simply nothing.

I'm running it on the DGPU and im making sure of it through Nvidia Control panel and also launching the game through right-click and select the DGPU to be hooked for the APP.

Also when im running that same app on DGPU vs iGPU there is a diametral difference between the FPS so it doesn´t make sense as you´ve stated that im still using the iGPU.
No im not also im checking that through various of apps like MSI afterburner and so on.
Yes, I've tried to run it with or without those apps.

So far that i´ve managed to successfully launch on the full screen without any problem and the display will render through iGPU and the Game will run on DGPU as it should on 1903.

Those games and app are: Serious Sam Fusion, 3D Mark, 3D mark (older one), Unigine benchmarks, Project cars, Gears 5.

Rocket League: the game will launch but only in the borderless or windowed setting if you try it to run or change to fullscreen the game runs but you won't see anything from that game on the screen.

CS:GO : Same as RL but when you try to run it in fullscreen the built-in display on the notebook starts blinking and go crazy. When you set it to run under the windowed or borderless it runs and its bound to the DGPU.

NBA2K20, Project cars, Unigine benchmarks, Gears 5, Serious Sam and 3D mark. All of those are working as they should. They are on fullscreen nothing is crashing everything is working fine.

That's what i have tested so far.

I'm gonna test more in the upcoming days.

2. Sure I want to test that! as soon as you will have the preview build ready please send it.

Also if possible look into the compatibility problem or possible fix with the source engine and UE3 cause its looks like its related to it.

Also PUBG had same problems as CS:GO and RL but after the recent update i need to reinstall the pubg before i can test it again.
ScreamCZE is offline   Reply With Quote