Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2021, 03:13 AM   #1
Defluo

Angry No monitor Detected

I've been reading the forums and looking at documentation that i've found but i'm running into a huge roadblock with this.

I'm using Displaylink Manager 1.2
I'm on macOS Catalina 10.15.7
13'' Macbook Pro 2017 touchbar
I have a HP Elite USB-C Docking Station G4

Displaylink manager is not detecting my monitors but the monitors are simply mirroring each other at the moment.

My computer is not detecting Displaylink for the privacy section for either screen recording or accessibility.

I checked the extensions and displaylink is loaded.

And i've unplugged and plugged everything in over and over again and uninstalled and reinstalled.

I....don't know what to do
Defluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #2
anthlover

Default Is this a new purchase?

That particular HP model elite USB based display link supports a max individual resolution of Max Resolution: 2560 × 1600. Something like the Targus 180 (link below is alot more capable and is). Also if your using this with a non M1 mac as you can use an actual Thunderbolt 3 based dock.

https://www.amazon.com/Targus-Univer...s%2C151&sr=8-2

Last edited by anthlover; 01-03-2021 at 03:35 AM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #3
Defluo

Default Not a new purchase

The docking station i've had for some time. I've had two external monitors on here before. What are new are the monitors themselves. Is there like a capatibility list i can check to see if this docking station works? I thought display link works with HP
Old 01-03-2021, 03:25 AM   #4
anthlover

Default Cable

Are you using Displayport or HDMI cable? That particular HP model elite USB based display link supports a max individual resolution: 2560 × 1600, and I believe less resolution for two displays. What display/s resolution are you trying to use?

Just reminder as well that you can support multiple displays quite well via your thunderbolts ports directly without a USB dock or via a straight thunderbolt dock straight usbc to HDMI or Display port cables or adapters. Either direct or thunderbolt would support multiple 4K or single 5K displays.

Last edited by anthlover; 01-03-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:58 AM   #5
Defluo

Default The Software

I have 3 4k monitors. I understand that this docking station is going to have trouble supporting that. I ordered a new one and waiting for that to come in.

However, regardless of the monitors, shouldn't display link be at least detecting something? or showing up in my screen recording under privacy? The software itself doesn't seem to be read by my mac in the first place.

Of those 3 monitors I only have two plugged in via DP. Currently they just mirror each other and my macbook works as a separate monitor.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #6
anthlover

Agree something should show. Can be older HDMI cables what come in many flavors 1.4, 2, 2.1 etc. Display port cables have less revisions and generally support what you plug in.

You do no mention whether your 2017 has 2 Thunderbolt ports or 4, but I believe it has 4. As I noted lot less variables when using straight Thunderbolt dock or straight Thunderbolt 3/UBC-C to HDMI or Display port cables or Dongles. No Displaylink software required. Everything uses Apple's built in drivers and just works

While I am very happy with the Targus Dock 180 and Displaylink, I bought it for my M1 Mac. I already had Caldigit Mini Thunderbolt dock for my 2017 work15 Inch macbook Pro. I happen now to be using it for both to keep my desk neater, but would never have selected a Displaylink based Doc for a non M1 MAC. At least not without future proofing in mind. Current crop of M1 macs require a displaylink chipset based docking station to support more then 1 external monitor on a M1 pro or air or more then two on a mini. Older non M1 macs natively support 3 external displays.

Last edited by anthlover; 01-03-2021 at 09:39 PM.