Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 02-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
jKub

Default Ubuntu 18.04 + iTec USB3 dual display + Lenovo Yoga - screen artifacs

Hi everybody,

I installed clean Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (no upgrade) on my Lenovo Yoga 530-14iKB. I connected it to iTec USB3/Thunderbolt Dock (specifically CADUAL4KDOCKPD) where 2 displays are connected. I have all three running, but there are some annoying artifacts appearing around the mouse pointer. Also context menu (right click) on my home screen appears away from the pointer and "minimized" so that it shows only one item.
I am using v5.2 driver.

I uploaded the log files from the analysis tool together with short videos of what's happening here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j2yclxxvf...7HNfWsd3a?dl=0

Thank you for any help.

Cheers,

Jan
jKub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
jKub

Default Context menu problem fixed

I installed the GNOME multi monitors shell extension - https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...nitors-add-on/
Old 02-19-2020, 07:05 AM   #3
jKub

Default The artifacts still appearing

But don't get me wrong, the artifacts are still appearing. Could anyone help please?
Old 02-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hi There,

Apologies for the lack of response.

Thank you for log files and detailed description of your issue with video.

Based on that I believe that Xorg server tries to create mouse pointer by itself while it should be done by our software. This may be the cause of artifacts that are present on your displays.

What I would recommend in this situation is to make a logout from the system with our dock being attached and then log in again and verify. This was one of the workarounds in the past for similar issue.

Additionally, I would suggest to try using Wayland as it is being better supported and may fix this issue.

Kind regards,
Jakub
JakubDabrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
MWim

I have exactly the same issue on my zbook 360 g5 when using two displays. When I only use one QHD-Display it works as it should. If I add a second one, the screen artifacts appear. I'll now try to implement your workarounds.
MWim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:05 PM   #6
MWim

Logging out with the Dock connect does fix the Problem for the current session.

Switching to Wayland fixes the issue too, however that is not a usable solution for me, since I can't use the Nvidia GPU with Wayland at this point.

Neither of these fixes solved my problem with the high CPU usage, though.
MWim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #7
jKub

Default Fixed with switching back to Xorg driver but...

OK. So I fixed the problem with switching to "X.org" display driver in "Software & Updates". Had to disable NVIDIA drivers. Logging out does not work for me.

Comments:
#1 I was not able to even enable the Wayland option at my login screen (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS clean, install), but this is just a noob rant and another topic.

#2 The CPU usage by DisplayLink Driver skyrocketed (I estimate just by looking at "top" that it uses about 3 times more CPU than with using the NVIDIA driver)
Old 02-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
BdmRt

Hi, I have the same problem.

I have installed the current driver successfully. Unfortunately Ubuntu dropped wayland, with xorg it is not really usable because of the heavy artifacts.

I have both VGA and HDMI Port and it doesnt matter which one I use. Is it a driver problem or another fix?

This is one of the problems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVwa-cVU_cA
But it is more like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI_NYVMT5lk

Regards
BdmRt is offline   Reply With Quote