Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 12-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
taurus

Default Linux beta drivers/program?

Hi,

I am trying to start using Dell D6000 with my new Dell XPS 13 7390 on Linux Mint 19.3 with two 4K monitors oriented vertically (Linux kernel 5.3).

Yes, I have read the current drivers limitations https://support.displaylink.com/know...rticles/641668 (TL;DR: forget about real usage on Linux).

I would say currently with driver 5.2 I am close to success,
comparing to all my previous tries on old drivers/kernels/....
However there are still some problems available, mainly minor but annoying stability (random crashes) and performance.

As I can see displaylink releases new drivers every ~6 month,
and Linux 5.2 drivers were released in Jul, so maybe there some Linux beta program available to test them and provide early feedback?

I was not able to find ANY linux beta programs here https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3 Why?

Tnx for any hints here!
taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:47 AM   #2
dan_linder

I too am pretty disappointed in how the "displaylink.org" is supporting Linux distributions. I'm usually a Fedora guy, but when I got my HP Spectre x360 (2018) I went all in and got a Dell D6000 dock. That was after I had used the x360 with a Dell W15 (I believe) and it worked flawlessly under both Windows and Linux.

As I've come to expect, the stability of the system under Windows 10 is great, but using the D6000 with any variant of Linux (Fedora 30/31, Ubuntu 18/19.04/19.10, etc) is horribly unstable. Audio, USB, network are all fine, but video dies intermittently and only un-plugging and re-plugging the USB-C cable helps.

And I don't think it's a USB-C/ThunderBolt issue as the same problem occurs when I use the USB 3.0 adapter.

And I am pretty sure it's not hardware as the same D6000 using my older Dell laptop (in USB 3.0 only, no USB-C) seems to be quite stable. (That is the system I upgraded from, so this is even more frustrating.)

I'd love to help with the Alpha and Beta drivers too.

So DisplayLink.org team, any takers?
dan_linder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #3
taurus

It looks like we have some movements here https://github.com/DisplayLink/evdi/...254ccac98d47f8
taurus is offline   Reply With Quote