Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2015, 04:19 AM   #1
SeekingHelp

Default AoC e1659fwu unable to work with Win 10 on Surface Pro 3

Hello!

As pasted in my reddit thread, thought I'd make a post here as well.

Quote:
As the SP3 only has a single USB Hub, I got a USB 3.0 hub to power an external monitor (AOC 1659fwu) through USB. Installed the latest Displaylink Drivers (version 7.9 M3) after cleaning out previous versions and rebooting, doesn't seem to work.
After powering on the monitor when the drivers have been installed, the monitor functions properly for a few seconds* (extending works, mirroring works), and the Displaylink icon appears in the taskbar. Then abruptly the monitor freezes and no longer functions (as an extension or anything, it just has the picture of whatever it had before it froze. Doesn't black screen. The Displaylink Icon disappears (although it continues to run in the background) and Windows doesn't recognize the external display, although it did at * for a few seconds.
I've tried directly plugging both Y cables into the powered USB hub, doesn't change anything. The powered hub can already power the monitor through the main USB cable. Additionally, plugging in the monitor directly to the SP3 (without the USB hub) seems to allow the monitor to work. That makes me think that the USB Hub might be the problem, but I've used an exact model on my desktop (running Win 7) to run the monitor without facing any problems. It's possible that Windows 10 + DisplayLink Software + USB Hub may be the cause of this somehow.
I could directly connect the display to the SP3, but it would mean that I wouldn't be able to connect the USB hub that can power a few other useful devices (Wireless non-BT mouse, external hard drive/flash drives, better webcam, etc). Ideally with 4 ports, I'd have one for the mouse, another for the display, a third for a hard drive and a fourth for anything else that pops up.
Strangely enough, even after the screen has frozen (when connected via the USB hub), the external monitor correctly appears within the Device Manager under 'USB Display Adapters'. I've checked the Hardware ID to ensure that it did boot properly (it did) and did the Hardware Troubleshooting step recommended by some (which failed).
The log files have been attached, and the model of the USB Hub I'm using is https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id...66&toSite=main

Appreciate any responses ^^ (or assurances that future updates will fix the issue. I've tried finding any updates for the USB Hub or Host Controller but apparently they're all updated so yeap. Displaylink works fine for my desktop when plugged through the same USB Hub, so maybe it's due to Win10 not working well with 7.9 M3)
Attached Files
File Type: zip SLYCER_20151112_131236.zip (1.21 MB, 1 views)
SeekingHelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

I'd recommend using a main powered USB hub to connect your USB monitor to.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
SeekingHelp

Hello!

Apologies for the late reply. The USB Hub that was used in the original post *was* powered from the mains. The problem seems to be with the USB connection for some reason, I'd hear the Surface 'chime' about 10 seconds after plugging in the display->hub->Surface and then the screen just freezes and remains unresponsive, doesn't appear as a secondary screen in display settings but still appears in device manager.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
SeekingHelp

Great news! The issue has been resolved and I can now use the AoC monitor and SP3 together

The fix was disabling the Selective USB Suspension option under Power Options, as recommended by the DisplayLink website. For those that are also facing the same issue as me and couldn't find this option, I added the option through this site (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...e-suspend.html), re-opened the menu and it was there. Just clicked 'Disable' under Advanced Power Options>USB>Plugged In>Selective Suspension>Disable and my monitor's humming smoothly
Old 12-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
AlbanRampon

Talking

Thanks for closing the loop!

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote