Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 04-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #21
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimdog View Post
Unfortunately, there's nothing there that would exclude the Kensington USB3.0 2X Video Dock with DL Manager 1.2.0 from working in clamshell mode.

Katarzyna, is there a work-around for this, other than leaving the lid of my MacBook Pro open? I had clamshell mode working before moving to DL Manager 1.2...
You do not provide much detail about your specific setup, however on the surface there are differences as compared to the other post which references the CalDigit dock.

Presuming for the moment that this is the dock you are using --> https://www.kensington.com/p/product...-ivga-windows/

That docking station does NOT provide power to the host laptop, which is a key element of the requirements Apple provides for closed-display mode to work.

Further to this, you do not mention if the Apple Mac laptop you are using has an Intel processor or Apple M1 processor.

The details matter in this specific case, because at this time closed-display mode (clamshell mode) is not supported on Intel-based Macs when only a 'pure' DisplayLink-based device is connected to the host. Closed-display mode is supported on Apple M1-based Macs as long as there is a power source connected.

DisplayLink has more information here --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...cos-big-sur-11
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:40 PM   #22
Wozzy

Thumbs up

Clamshell mode seems to work on M1 on macOS 11.3 RC, DL Manager 1.3.

Only tested 1 additional screen but its working fine. If my M1 is the main screen (dock is on it) and I close the lid it transfers to the external screen.
Wozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:25 PM   #23
davss

That's good news! I'm assuming all work fine on the latest update macOS Big Sur 11.3 11.3 with currently availavle DL for download driver for M1?

I've been using Amphetamine (from App Store) with unticked "Allow system sleep when display is closed" when sessions's started to run my MacBook Air with the following monitors in clamshell more:

1 x Dell U4919DW 49 inch suported by M1 native single external display and charging via single bi-directional USB-C cable connected to top USB-C port

3 x Dell U2515H 25 inch DL driver using via 10in1 UGREEN USB-C hub and Startech USB-3.0 to DP hardware connected to bottom USB-C port

Cheers,
David

ps. there's a thread where we drop messages about macOS and DL updates and whether anything breaks after updating:
https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67606
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 21.24.06.jpg (9.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by davss; 04-26-2021 at 09:29 PM.
davss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:14 AM   #24
BHedges

Big Sur 11.3 update and now my previously working in 4k screen LG 27" can now only run in 1920 x 1080 - so I'd say be very careful with the update, backwards step for me, very disappointed.
BHedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:46 AM   #25
dteirney

@KatarzynaKowalczyk is there any update that can be provided on when clamshell mode might be supported for Intel-based Macs on BigSur?

I've just purchased a Dell D6000 and found that it's about as useful as a brick since it doesn't support clamshell mode. Didn't even consider that I'd need to review the fine print in the release notes for a 3rd party driver to find out this limitation that impacts that hardware product.
dteirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:06 PM   #26
ScreamCZE

Hello,

I am wondering this for a long time, is there any reason why you cannot use the MacBook with an open lid? It is another monitor that you can use - like for some less used windows.
ScreamCZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #27
tokyodrift

Angry

Its' not about, why we cannot use, its more about, it was working and now not.

I have bought the dockingstation with the displaylink only because of this.

It was working before Big Sur and now not. I'm having now also high CPU usage with the display link driver 1.3.0. This is just sad.
tokyodrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #28
jakudo

Works ok for me. No problem at all. Everything latest updates.
jakudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #29
tokyodrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakudo View Post
Works ok for me. No problem at all. Everything latest updates.
As from this link https://support.displaylink.com/know...cos-big-sur-11:
Quote:
Clamshell mode (lid closed) is supported on computers using Apple M1 silicon with external power connected (e.g. Apple macbook power adapter or docking station with charging capability) on macOS Big Sur version 11.1 and later.
Clamshell mode is not supported on Intel-based macbooks, this is under development.
Currently this not working for intel-based macbooks. So your mac has an apple m1 processor?

Anyway, there are currently much more intel-based macbooks out there.
A fix would be more appreciated.
tokyodrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:18 PM   #30
Zimdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
You do not provide much detail about your specific setup, however on the surface there are differences as compared to the other post which references the CalDigit dock.

Presuming for the moment that this is the dock you are using --> https://www.kensington.com/p/product...-ivga-windows/

That docking station does NOT provide power to the host laptop, which is a key element of the requirements Apple provides for closed-display mode to work.

Further to this, you do not mention if the Apple Mac laptop you are using has an Intel processor or Apple M1 processor.

The details matter in this specific case, because at this time closed-display mode (clamshell mode) is not supported on Intel-based Macs when only a 'pure' DisplayLink-based device is connected to the host. Closed-display mode is supported on Apple M1-based Macs as long as there is a power source connected.
Thanks, and my apologies for the delayed response... but to your points:

1) I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) with an Intel processor and I'm using the Kensington USB 3.0 Dual Display Docking Station for Windows, Mac OS, Surface Pro & Surface Laptop (K33972US). The MacBook Pro is connected to external power in addition to the dock. The dock provides connection to my keyboard, mouse, external drives, USB camera, microphone, speaker, Ethernet and two Philips 246E monitors.

2) As to the supply of power, you are correct that the dock is not supplying power. However, the link you provided in a previous post no longer leads to the original page (HT201834) - and the page that it redirects to does not include information about clamshell requirements. That said, I believe these are the requirements (Search support.apple.com for "closed lid" requirements):
Check requirements
To use closed-display mode with your Mac notebook, here's what you need:
  • An AC power adapter or an external display that provides power over USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C).
  • An external keyboard and mouse or trackpad, either USB or wireless.
  • A USB-C to USB adapter or cable if you're using a USB mouse or keyboard with a Mac that has USB-C ports.
  • An external display or projector.
You'll note that these requirements do NOT specify that the dock provide power - only that there be an AC power adapter OR an external display that provides power. So I believe this point is moot, as my Macbook Pro IS connected to external power, in addition to being connected to the dock.

3) Lastly, I'll note that clamshell mode WAS working with this configuration prior to the release of BigSur.

----------------

Hopefully this clears up the questions regarding my setup - but even so, it's still the case that clamshell mode is not working.

Charlie
Zimdog is offline   Reply With Quote