Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #81
bathomps
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Default

I put off installing Win8 as long as I could due to instability in the DisplayLink adapter. I had hoped it had been solved by now. I have a Lenovo W520 and using the adapter for a third monitor worked great in Win7.

Now when I attach the device it blinks the monitors many times, then logs me out. I log in and it repeats. Have to unplug the adapter or the computer is useless, but now unfortunately so is my 3rd monitor.

Attached are my support logs.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SLC-BT-WS520_20130227_151022.zip (699.4 KB, 2 views)
bathomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #82
hba
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 22
Default

Nice to know I'm not alone in my frustration! Obviously DisplayLink has dropped any further investigation into the matter, as they doesn't respond to this thread

Regards Henrik.
hba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #83
sfted999
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5
Default

After an hour or two of rebooting and messing with it, I finally got it to work on Windows 8 (although on my USB 2.0 port). I haven't tried the 3.0 port yet, but I'll keep you posted.
sfted999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #84
Snixtor
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Default

I resolved the issue on my Dell E6530 by disabling nvidia Unity in the BIOS. Interestingly enough, in the BIOS the setting states "For Windows 7 *ONLY*", yet my machine came from Dell preloaded with Win8 Pro and this option enabled.
Snixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #85
Wim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathomps View Post
I put off installing Win8 as long as I could due to instability in the DisplayLink adapter. I had hoped it had been solved by now. I have a Lenovo W520 and using the adapter for a third monitor worked great in Win7.

Now when I attach the device it blinks the monitors many times, then logs me out. I log in and it repeats. Have to unplug the adapter or the computer is useless, but now unfortunately so is my 3rd monitor.

Attached are my support logs.
We are still looking at this, but there was only 1 person (hba) with the problem, and we could not reproduce the issue. However your problem is similar and looks to be the same issue.

I suspect this is very particular to the machines you have, as reproduction is not happening and you are the only 2 users with this particular crash (which I can confirm by looking at the logs).

Is there anything in the BIOS you can disable for NVIDIA to see if this makes a difference?

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #86
Snixtor
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Hi Wim and bathomps, I can confirm that the issue I had with my Dell E6530 was the same as bathomps describes. On login with two USB-DVI adapters connected, the screens would blink on and off for 5 - 10 seconds, then I would be dumped back to the login screen.

My E6530 has an nvidia NVS 5200M. I see Lenovo W530s come with an nvidia Quadro. I would definitely recommend looking for some nvidia options in the BIOS. On my machine, the "nvidia unity" offered a means for the system to select between the dedicated nvidia GPU, or the onboard Intel graphics adapter. Presumably as a means of choosing between power-saving (Intel) or performance (nvidia). Combined with the USB-DVI adapter(s), I'm guessing this was just too many different display adapters for Windows 8 to wrap its head around (in my case, 4 total, 3 distinct).
Snixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #87
AaronC
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
Default Still having problems with the lenovo W530

After all this time I decided to try to install the newer software and once again I am getting exactly the same problem as before with the flickering screen on my laptop and nothing on my usb monitor. It's been 4-6 months now, and there is still no fix for the Lenovo's with quadro's, what a joke!

I don't understand why you guys were just ignoring hba because they were the only one complaining (only because the rest of us were sick of the problem and had given up for a while). Don't you think it would be common courtesy to send a quick reply saying you were looking into the problem??
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #88
Wim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronC View Post
After all this time I decided to try to install the newer software and once again I am getting exactly the same problem as before with the flickering screen on my laptop and nothing on my usb monitor. It's been 4-6 months now, and there is still no fix for the Lenovo's with quadro's, what a joke!

I don't understand why you guys were just ignoring hba because they were the only one complaining (only because the rest of us were sick of the problem and had given up for a while). Don't you think it would be common courtesy to send a quick reply saying you were looking into the problem??
You need to post your logs with 7.1 M1 (which solves the issue hba has been having for everyone else) to confirm that it is the same issue. You cannot know you have the same problem without confirmation from me decoding and checking your log files. hba and now bathomps do still have the same issue, but this makes the issue much rarer than it was in 7.1 M1.

We want to fix this, but with only a few cases and unable to replicate it on the 200+ test platforms we have here, it's a bit stuck.

If more people can confirm the issue with log files, then we can see if there is any similarity between the machines and use that to help with reproduction.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #89
MatthewB
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Default USB Mini Monitor problem with Windows 8

Hi there,
I am also having problems with Windows 8. My USB Mini Monitor worked a dream with Windows 7, but this is so frustrating that I just cannot get it to work with Windows 8.
I have taken your advice to keep trying to reinstall the correct software from the Display Link website, but I keep getting this report:
'Incompatible Display Driver - Display Link USB Graphics software is not compatible with this graphics card or operating system. Please visit www.displaylink.com/software to check if a newerr software version is available.'
Any suggestions would be welcome, or hints when they will sort this problem with new software.
Yours, frustrated,
Matthew B
MatthewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #90
Wim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewB View Post
Hi there,
I am also having problems with Windows 8. My USB Mini Monitor worked a dream with Windows 7, but this is so frustrating that I just cannot get it to work with Windows 8.
I have taken your advice to keep trying to reinstall the correct software from the Display Link website, but I keep getting this report:
'Incompatible Display Driver - Display Link USB Graphics software is not compatible with this graphics card or operating system. Please visit www.displaylink.com/software to check if a newerr software version is available.'
Any suggestions would be welcome, or hints when they will sort this problem with new software.
Yours, frustrated,
Matthew B
Make sure you have the 3rd party graphics driver installed for your primary graphics card, as this is needed by the DisplayLink software. This should solve the issue.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.