Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
stuguy909
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 37
Default

I still can't download your installer. It states I do not have sufficient permissions. However, I was able to remodify the SYSTEMINITDAEMON=unknown entry on the refreshed --keep --noexec of the .run package, to SYSTEMINITDAEMON=systemd. This time when I installed, it successfully completes the install. However, after reboot, I still do not see my providers. I did start the displaylink service, however. This is a first.
stuguy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
stuguy909
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 37
Default systemctl -a

This may have something to do with it.

Code:
# systemctl -a
display-manager.service     not-found inactive   dead       display-manager.service
displaylink.service              loaded    activating auto-restart DisplayLink Manager Service
stuguy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
guerrierk
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuguy909 View Post
I still can't download your installer. It states I do not have sufficient permissions. However, I was able to remodify the SYSTEMINITDAEMON=unknown entry on the refreshed --keep --noexec of the .run package, to SYSTEMINITDAEMON=systemd. This time when I installed, it successfully completes the install. However, after reboot, I still do not see my providers. I did start the displaylink service, however. This is a first.
OK. Could you post the results of :
Code:
# systemctl status displaylink.service
# lsmod | grep evdi
# dmesg
Thx

PS : I place my installer into drive folder : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5q...ew?usp=sharing


EDIT :
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuguy909 View Post
This may have something to do with it.

Code:
# systemctl -a
display-manager.service     not-found inactive   dead       display-manager.service
displaylink.service              loaded    activating auto-restart DisplayLink Manager Service
It's not really normal that you don't have an active display-manager service. What DM do you use ? LigthDM ? Gnome Display Manager ?

Thx

Last edited by guerrierk; 08-27-2015 at 03:52 PM. Reason: adding response
guerrierk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
stuguy909
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 37
Default

KDE, I deleted it thinking it was displaylink stuff. damn. I will reinstall my KDE.
stuguy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #15
stuguy909
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 37
Default failed

I resolved my desktop issue, there wasn't one. It was still in default build. So uninstalled the displaylink stuff, verified, rebooted. I downloaded your installer from the google drive, followed instructions. Everything seemed to install fine. Rebooted. The system came up fine, but the displaylink.service wasn't started. I had to start it manually. It failed. This is the output.

Code:
# systemctl status displaylink.service
● displaylink.service - DisplayLink Manager Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/displaylink.service; static)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: signal) since Thu 2015-08-27 13:01:27 CDT; 1s ago
  Process: 3126 ExecStart=/usr/lib/displaylink/DisplayLinkManager (code=killed, signal=ABRT)
  Process: 3124 ExecStartPre=/sbin/modprobe evdi (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 3126 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Aug 27 13:01:27 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: displaylink.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Aug 27 13:01:27 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: Unit displaylink.service entered failed state.
I do not have additional providers when I run xrandr --listproviders
stuguy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:15 PM   #16
guerrierk
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuguy909 View Post
I resolved my desktop issue, there wasn't one. It was still in default build. So uninstalled the displaylink stuff, verified, rebooted. I downloaded your installer from the google drive, followed instructions. Everything seemed to install fine. Rebooted. The system came up fine, but the displaylink.service wasn't started. I had to start it manually. It failed. This is the output.

Code:
# systemctl status displaylink.service
● displaylink.service - DisplayLink Manager Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/displaylink.service; static)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: signal) since Thu 2015-08-27 13:01:27 CDT; 1s ago
  Process: 3126 ExecStart=/usr/lib/displaylink/DisplayLinkManager (code=killed, signal=ABRT)
  Process: 3124 ExecStartPre=/sbin/modprobe evdi (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 3126 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Aug 27 13:01:27 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: displaylink.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Aug 27 13:01:27 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: Unit displaylink.service entered failed state.
I do not have additional providers when I run xrandr --listproviders
While this service is not running, you will not have the new provider into xrandr...

The Displaylink Manager has been killed... The question is : why ?
Do you have log file in /var/log concerning Displaylink ?
Code:
# updatedb
# locate displaylink | grep log
What return the
Code:
# dmesg
# lsmod | grep udl
Thx
guerrierk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #17
stuguy909
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 37
Default some stats

http://stuartanderson.info/dmesg.txt
http://stuartanderson.info/lsmod.txt
http://stuartanderson.info/lsusb.txt
http://stuartanderson.info/dmesggrepusb.txt

Code:
#lsmod | grep udl
#
Code:
/var/log/displaylink# ls
/var/log/displaylink#

Last edited by stuguy909; 08-27-2015 at 06:22 PM.
stuguy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #18
guerrierk
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuguy909 View Post
Into your dmesg, there is always a problem with the display manager service :
Code:
[    9.553262] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit display-manager.service, ignoring: Unit display-manager.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
Since it's not running, your displaylink service will not run correctly...
You can try to use lighDM or another DM to test before resolve your KDE problem...
What have you fond to reinstall KDE ?
guerrierk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #19
stuguy909
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 37
Default

I did delete the service file as root. I completely uninstalled and rebooted and reinstalled many times. The result is always:

Code:
# systemctl status displaylink.service
● displaylink.service - DisplayLink Manager Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/displaylink.service; static)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Aug 27 13:55:14 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: displaylink.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Aug 27 13:55:14 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: Unit displaylink.service entered failed state.
Aug 27 13:55:19 lt-sanderson DisplayLinkManager[1862]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'dl::sys::Failure'
Aug 27 13:55:19 lt-sanderson DisplayLinkManager[1862]: what():  Hive format not recognised
Aug 27 13:55:19 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: displaylink.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Aug 27 13:55:19 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: Unit displaylink.service entered failed state.
Aug 27 13:55:24 lt-sanderson DisplayLinkManager[1867]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'dl::sys::Failure'
Aug 27 13:55:24 lt-sanderson DisplayLinkManager[1867]: what():  Hive format not recognised
Aug 27 13:55:24 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: displaylink.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Aug 27 13:55:24 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: Unit displaylink.service entered failed state.
stuguy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #20
guerrierk
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuguy909 View Post
I did delete the service file as root. I completely uninstalled and rebooted and reinstalled many times. The result is always:

Code:
# systemctl status displaylink.service
● displaylink.service - DisplayLink Manager Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/displaylink.service; static)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Aug 27 13:55:14 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: displaylink.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Aug 27 13:55:14 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: Unit displaylink.service entered failed state.
Aug 27 13:55:19 lt-sanderson DisplayLinkManager[1862]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'dl::sys::Failure'
Aug 27 13:55:19 lt-sanderson DisplayLinkManager[1862]: what():  Hive format not recognised
Aug 27 13:55:19 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: displaylink.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Aug 27 13:55:19 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: Unit displaylink.service entered failed state.
Aug 27 13:55:24 lt-sanderson DisplayLinkManager[1867]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'dl::sys::Failure'
Aug 27 13:55:24 lt-sanderson DisplayLinkManager[1867]: what():  Hive format not recognised
Aug 27 13:55:24 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: displaylink.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Aug 27 13:55:24 lt-sanderson systemd[1]: Unit displaylink.service entered failed state.
The problem is not the displaylink.service but the display-manager.service

In KDE it should be KDM... You can maybe run
Code:
# dpkg-reconfigure kdm
I'm not sure about the name of the package so you can fond it with
Code:
# dpkg -l | grep -i KDM
Thx
guerrierk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
debian

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.