Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: macOS 4.0 for High Sierra (10.13)

Old 08-17-2017, 07:00 AM   #1
jpap

Default Feedback on macOS 10.13 beta 17A344b (DL-5500)

I'm running the High Sierra public beta build 17A344b, using a USB 3.0 connected DL-5500 adapter to a displayport 1920x1200@60 display. I upgraded to the beta just for the Metal DL support. Thanks for getting that out! :-)

My machine is a late 2013 Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz i7 with 16GB RAM, (Integrated) Intel Iris Pro 5200 GPU.

I am using the alpha driver 4.0.0 a1 (83693).

Good:
  • The performance improvement with Metal over 10.12.6 is astounding! I do hope there's still some further performance gain to be had.
  • The "white filled window" problem has gone away: previously some windows moved to the DL display would be filled all-white and only partially updated when the window was naturally updated (e.g. scrolling a list in the window).

Needs work:
  • Nightshift appears to make some kind of almost imperceptible change to the DL display, but it definitely isn't anywhere near the same as when the same display is directly connected to the machine with Nightshift enabled.
  • Accessibility zoom is completely broken. I use this a lot for UI/design work and would love to see it working on DL displays. This behavior appears the same since the non-alpha driver on 10.12.6, but would love to see it addressed going forward.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpap View Post
  • Nightshift appears to make some kind of almost imperceptible change to the DL display, but it definitely isn't anywhere near the same as when the same display is directly connected to the machine with Nightshift enabled.
  • This is something we are looking at and it is connected to the flux feature we are working on for Windows.
    Quote:
  • Accessibility zoom is completely broken. I use this a lot for UI/design work and would love to see it working on DL displays. This behavior appears the same since the non-alpha driver on 10.12.6, but would love to see it addressed going forward.
I think there are 2 modes for this:
  • Picture in Picture, which, from our testing, does now work on 10.13
  • Full screen, which still looks to be a problem and we'll raise with Apple.

Can you confirm picture in picture zoom works for you?

Thanks

Wim
Old 08-25-2017, 05:35 AM   #3
jpap

Thanks for your reply Wim; response below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
This is something we are looking at and it is connected to the flux feature we are working on for Windows.
That's great to hear -- on macOS, will it just work out of the box as part of the built-in macOS Night Shift feature? Any idea on when that may be released?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Can you confirm picture in picture zoom works for you?
Yes, picture-in-picture works.

Though not a DL issue, I've noticed that PIP only works on the menu bar display. (I had to move the menu bar to my DL display for the test.) If you're in touch with Apple, can you ask them to make it work across all displays?

Looking at the full-screen zoom issue a bit more closely, it looks like the bug is just simply that the display canvas is not resized; the display artifacts shown on the right/bottom edges of the screen are just whatever was on the display before that zoom-level. As you zoom in you get these jaggardy bands of "left over" image.

Is the upsampling supposed to be done by Apple, not your DL driver? Or are you not even notified of the zoom level?

jpap
Old 09-03-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Wim; response below.

That's great to hear -- on macOS, will it just work out of the box as part of the built-in macOS Night Shift feature? Any idea on when that may be released?

Yes, picture-in-picture works.

Though not a DL issue, I've noticed that PIP only works on the menu bar display. (I had to move the menu bar to my DL display for the test.) If you're in touch with Apple, can you ask them to make it work across all displays?

Looking at the full-screen zoom issue a bit more closely, it looks like the bug is just simply that the display canvas is not resized; the display artifacts shown on the right/bottom edges of the screen are just whatever was on the display before that zoom-level. As you zoom in you get these jaggardy bands of "left over" image.

Is the upsampling supposed to be done by Apple, not your DL driver? Or are you not even notified of the zoom level?

jpap
Hi jpap,

About Night Shift, it's in our plans but our intention is to first focus on further performance enhancements.

About the zoom feature it's a long and complicated story. We do get notifications but different OS versions are inconsistent so we have a few workarounds in place. On High Sierra it's still a work in progress. Thank you for reporting this to us.

Kind regards,
Carlo
Old 09-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #5
Carlo
Mac Team

Turns out that the Zoom issue is an OS limitation. We can see the same in Screen Sharing and in AirPlay while extending.
We have raised a bug with Apple and would suggest to do the same to anyone seeing this issue with DisplayLink products to raise the priority of this work with the macOS team.

Carlo