Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 01-18-2021, 12:37 AM   #1
displaylinkuser321

Default DisplayLink works with GNOME but not i3wm

I installed the Ubuntu driver on my Pop OS system, everything is working fine with lightdm and GNOME, but when I use i3 window manager my DisplayLink displays aren't working.

Any help in getting i3wm working would be appreciated!

Last edited by displaylinkuser321; 01-18-2021 at 12:40 AM.
displaylinkuser321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
gjindal

Hi,
Were you able to solve this issue? I am also facing the same issue and I have not solved it completely. Gnome, cinnamon worked fine with DisplayLink but not i3. But I found a hack which kinda works. My Ubuntu system had auto login enabled. I think that this auto login skips start of some service in i3 whereas that does not happen in a traditional desktop environment. So I disabled the auto login and now DisplayLink also works on i3, but I have to type my password now every time on login. Did you find a better solution? If not, I hope this helps you. If you found a better solution, please let me know.
gjindal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:39 PM   #3
displaylinkuser321

Yes, for me the display just wasn't enabled. I was able to download ARandR, then right-click to enable the display and arrange it as necesary. i3 doesn't automatically setup all displays connected via DisplayLink on startup, so I would suggest saving the screen configuration as a .sh file and having it run on startup to automatically setup your displays.
displaylinkuser321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gnome, i3wm, linux