Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 09-29-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
nikol

Exclamation The current situation with M1 Macs and dual sceens

Hello everyone,

I found this forum in what seems like a infinite search for a fix to my problems.

Firstly, when you order a new Macbook Pro M1 there's no telling it doesn't work with two monitors for some reason. It weird, and makes things unnecessarily complicated.

Secondly, after spending multiple hours searching for drivers, solutions, plugging and replugging, it still doesn't work. I've ordered hubs and usb-connectors for about 600€ from Startech.

Can somebody tell me what is going on? I'm currently running Big Sur 11.6 and DisplayLink Manager 1.5.0 (Build 58.125), Startech Hub TB3DK2DPPDUE and Startech USB-A Displayport USB32DPES2 and still get "No monitor detected" in Displaylink Manager.

I need my two screens ASAP.
nikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #2
ScreamCZE

Hello,

Apple does state that only 1 external monitor is supported. But it is true, that they could do a better job of announcing it.

Regarding the Startech -it would probably be best if you would contact them directly. But TB3DK2DPPDUE si a Thunderbolt3 docking station - it does not use DisplayLink - so I external monitor should work without any problem (as drivers are already part of macOS).
But USB32DPES2 should be DisplayLink, so if the DisplayLink app is installed and allowed, it should work.
ScreamCZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #3
nikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamCZE View Post
TB3DK2DPPDUE si a Thunderbolt3 docking station - it does not use DisplayLink - so I external monitor should work without any problem (as drivers are already part of macOS).
But USB32DPES2 should be DisplayLink, so if the DisplayLink app is installed and allowed, it should work.

It should work, but it doesn't. I've tried every possible combination of connections.
nikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikol View Post
Hello everyone,

I found this forum in what seems like a infinite search for a fix to my problems.

Firstly, when you order a new Macbook Pro M1 there's no telling it doesn't work with two monitors for some reason. It weird, and makes things unnecessarily complicated.

Secondly, after spending multiple hours searching for drivers, solutions, plugging and replugging, it still doesn't work. I've ordered hubs and usb-connectors for about 600€ from Startech.

Can somebody tell me what is going on? I'm currently running Big Sur 11.6 and DisplayLink Manager 1.5.0 (Build 58.125), Startech Hub TB3DK2DPPDUE and Startech USB-A Displayport USB32DPES2 and still get "No monitor detected" in Displaylink Manager.

I need my two screens ASAP.
Neither of the devices you are using have DisplayLink technology within them. This is why the DisplayLink Manager application says no monitors are detected. Since both devices do not have DisplayLink technology inside, DisplayLink will not be able to help.

The StarTech TB3DK2DPPDUE Thunderbolt 3 docking station you are using --> https://www.startech.com/en-gb/cards...s/tb3dk2dppdue relies on the capabilities of the host system in terms of how many displays are supported. When used with an M1 Mac, only one display will work. StarTech calls this out in the third information bullet within their product description:

"EASY TO USE: TB3 Dock w/ auto drivers & MAC Address Changer Utility; incl. Thunderbolt 3 host cable & USB-C to DisplayPort cable for 2nd DP monitor; extended dual display support on MacBook Pro/Air with Intel processor & single display with Apple M1 Chip"

The StarTech USB32DPES2 DisplayPort adapter you are using --> https://www.startech.com/en-us/audio...cts/usb32dpes2 is based on MCT Trigger USB video technology.

This is called out under the 'Hardware' section of the Technical specifications section. To the best of my knowledge, MCT Trigger devices are not supported on macOS. StarTech states the unit is only compatible with Windows systems.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote