Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 08-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
aen612

Default Linux Mint 20.2 uma - Lag when Laptop Lid Closed

I recently upgraded my Lenovo T430 to Mint 20.2, which is based on Ubuntu 20.04. At the same time I decided I wanted to use a DisplayLink I had laying around with two external monitors. I installed the DisplayLink driver (displaylink-driver-5.4.0-55.153) and everything was working fine, until I closed my laptop.

If my laptop is open, and the laptop screen active, there is no lag at all using the external monitors. Everything is great.

If my laptop is closed, the lag to the external monitors is so much that they are unusable.

Initially I thought the issue was my wireless mouse and keyboard, it took me a while to determine that it was the DisplayLink itself (or at least the combo of DisplayLink and my version of Mint). Trying with lid open was not something I did intentionally

At any rate, I'm happy enough with the workaround of keeping the lid open. Thought I would post in case it's useful for others as I didn't see this workaround when searching.

TL;DR, if my laptop is open and the laptop screen active, there is no lag at all using the external monitors while running Linux Mint 20.2.
aen612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
zwhitchcox

Default workaround

This is fixed up stream on xserver-xorg-core now, the distros just have to merge the change.

there is a workaround right now by adding

LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=true

to your /etc/environment file
zwhitchcox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displaylink, lenovo, linux, mint