Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 02-07-2023, 06:18 PM   #1
almostsy

Unhappy DisplayLink Manager stopped working on MacOS 13.2 (2020 M1)

Hardware:

2020 MacBook Pro, M1 Silicon
Kensington SD4900P docking station connected to MacBook via USB-C cable
2x Dell P2417 monitors each connected to docking station via their own DP cable

Software:

MacOS Ventura 13.2 with corporate profile
DisplayLink Manager (don't know version number, but I downloaded and installed it sometime in June 2022)

Symptoms / Steps taken
  • DisplayLink Manager stopped working overnight. Was working fine yesterday to support a dual-monitor setup. Today, no video appeared on the monitors.
  • I used the DisplayLink Manager icon in the top MacOS menu tray to see what was up, but it gave me a never-ending rainbow pinwheel.
  • I verified that my Docking Station is present in the USB tree in System Report:
    Quote:
    SD4900P USB C TRIPLE VIDEO DESK DOCK:
    Product ID: 0x6023
  • I attempted to force quit DisplayLink Manager, but the application did not appear in the Force Quit menu.
  • I restarted the computer several times to try and resolve the issue. No success.
  • I unplugged and replugged every cable in between restarts and while the computer was on. No success.
  • I attempted to install the DisplayLink Manager Login Screen Extension, but it got stuck at "Opening Package" or something. I restarted the computer.
  • I downloaded DisplayLink Manager Graphics Connectivity 1.8. I don't remember which application I used (either the Login Screen Extension or Graphics Connectivity 1.8), but one of them had a DisplayLink Uninstaller. I used that to uninstall DisplayLink Manager.
  • I then attempted to install DisplayLink Manager Graphics Connectivity 1.8. I was met with the following message:
Quote:
The installation failed.
The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
So... here I am. Reporting this issue in case anyone else has encountered something similar.

Last edited by almostsy; 02-07-2023 at 06:23 PM.
almostsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:18 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostsy View Post
Hardware:

2020 MacBook Pro, M1 Silicon
Kensington SD4900P docking station connected to MacBook via USB-C cable
2x Dell P2417 monitors each connected to docking station via their own DP cable

Software:

MacOS Ventura 13.2 with corporate profile
DisplayLink Manager (don't know version number, but I downloaded and installed it sometime in June 2022)

Symptoms / Steps taken
  • DisplayLink Manager stopped working overnight. Was working fine yesterday to support a dual-monitor setup. Today, no video appeared on the monitors.
  • I used the DisplayLink Manager icon in the top MacOS menu tray to see what was up, but it gave me a never-ending rainbow pinwheel.
  • I verified that my Docking Station is present in the USB tree in System Report:
  • I attempted to force quit DisplayLink Manager, but the application did not appear in the Force Quit menu.
  • I restarted the computer several times to try and resolve the issue. No success.
  • I unplugged and replugged every cable in between restarts and while the computer was on. No success.
  • I attempted to install the DisplayLink Manager Login Screen Extension, but it got stuck at "Opening Package" or something. I restarted the computer.
  • I downloaded DisplayLink Manager Graphics Connectivity 1.8. I don't remember which application I used (either the Login Screen Extension or Graphics Connectivity 1.8), but one of them had a DisplayLink Uninstaller. I used that to uninstall DisplayLink Manager.
  • I then attempted to install DisplayLink Manager Graphics Connectivity 1.8. I was met with the following message:
So... here I am. Reporting this issue in case anyone else has encountered something similar.
In regard to the inability to install DisplayLink Manager 1.8 (which you mention at the end of your post), can you please confirm that the macOS 'Installer' application has been granted access to the location where you downloaded the DisplayLink Manager Application file?

You can do so by following these steps:

1. Click on the 'System Settings' icon (looks like a gear) in the macOS 'Dock' at the bottom of your screen

2. Within the System Settings application that appears, scroll down in the list of items on the left-hand side and click to select the option 'Privacy & Security'

3. Within the list of items that now appears in the right-hand side of the System Settings application, scroll down in the list of items and click to select the 'Files and Folders' option.

4. Once within the 'Files and Folders' option, you should see a list of items presented. Please click on the right-facing arrow next to each entry that is present in order to expand the setting for that entry.

5. Check to ensure that under the 'Installer' item that the location of the DisplayLink Manager Application file is both listed and enabled using the toggle switch. For example, the 'Downloads Folder' location.

This is important, because if the permission to access the file has not been granted to the Installer application then that can cause problems.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:50 PM   #3
almostsy

This fixed my issue! Thank you!
almostsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:38 PM   #4
wykydtronik

I just updated to 13.2 and ran into issues. I had to open up privacy & security, disable screenshare for DisplayLink Manager, quit DisplayLink Manager, re-enable screenshare, and then open DisplayLink Manager to have it work again.
wykydtronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 06:46 PM   #5
bphervey

Default Tried the suggestions but still not working

I've upgraded to DisplayLink 1.8 and I've tried the Screen Recording on/off suggestion, still nothing. Any other suggestions?
bphervey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 07:42 PM   #6
JupiterJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
In regard to the inability to install DisplayLink Manager 1.8 (which you mention at the end of your post), can you please confirm that the macOS 'Installer' application has been granted access to the location where you downloaded the DisplayLink Manager Application file?

You can do so by following these steps:

1. Click on the 'System Settings' icon (looks like a gear) in the macOS 'Dock' at the bottom of your screen

2. Within the System Settings application that appears, scroll down in the list of items on the left-hand side and click to select the option 'Privacy & Security'

3. Within the list of items that now appears in the right-hand side of the System Settings application, scroll down in the list of items and click to select the 'Files and Folders' option.

4. Once within the 'Files and Folders' option, you should see a list of items presented. Please click on the right-facing arrow next to each entry that is present in order to expand the setting for that entry.

5. Check to ensure that under the 'Installer' item that the location of the DisplayLink Manager Application file is both listed and enabled using the toggle switch. For example, the 'Downloads Folder' location.

This is important, because if the permission to access the file has not been granted to the Installer application then that can cause problems.
I am having the exact same issue on a 2022 MBA M2 and item #5 above I do not had the "Installer" under "Files and Folders".

Any suggestions?
JupiterJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:33 AM   #7
dobledisplay

Default "The Installation Failed"

Same problem as other posters.
And when I goto System Settings --> Privacy -->Files and Folders, I didn't see INSTALLER icon so I could not enable it to have full disk access.
Then I found there was a separate option within Privacy for Full Disk Access and then I found Installer icon there.
So now it installed but it still does not work to drive monitors. I already checked Privacy --> Screen Recording to verify that DisplayLink Manager is enabled.

Running Mac M1 Pro with Ventura 13.2.1
I didn't have this problem until I updated to latest version of Ventura.

Last edited by dobledisplay; 02-16-2023 at 10:38 AM.
dobledisplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 12:48 PM   #8
Dan Pehrsson

Default Same issue

Have same issue as other posters.

Have tried with two different DisplayLink docks - one Dell D6000 and one Dell K16A, with same results - monitor is not found and the DisplayLink manager states "No DisplayLink enabled display found". (other devices connected to the dock work).

The display itself works when connected directly to the MBP (A2442) - both through USB-C and through HDMI.

Have also tried it with two different MBPs - an A1990 and an A2442 - with the same result. Both are updated to the latest OS 13.2.1 and have latest DisplayLink manager installed.
Dan Pehrsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:27 PM   #9
Old-Dude47

Default Diagnostic sent

Hello group, the request was to run their diagnostic tool and send the log file into support. That's been done so I have the same problem as others only my monitor happens to be at HPx2 monitors and I'm using a Targus display link doc/hub.

M1/16gig/2Tera running OS 13.2.1, DISPLAYLINK 1.8.0 uninstalled using "their" tool, restarted, downloaded fresh "1.8" installed. No joy.

T.
Old-Dude47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
failed to install, graphics connectivity, non-functional, stopped working, uninstaller