Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.6 Software Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
AV8R

Default Rotation not recognized by Windows Display Properties

I am using Windows Vista and the latest release of DisplayLink on a Mimo UM-740 LCD monitor (default is landscape 800x480). The problem Im reporting is the lack of control of 90 degree rotation of the USB monitor via the Windows Display Properties (WDP).

If I use the DisplayLink manager to rotate the USB LCD to portrait mode (480x800); then the WDP does not know of this. Where this also becomes problematic is when using software that depends on getting the monitor orientation from the Window OS.

Ive tested this extensively and the developer of the software also states the problem is at the DisplayLink drivers level, as his software doesn't talk to DisplayLink, it talks to Windows. Even if I try a 3rd party display manager, such as UltraMon, the same thing happens as it does using WDP.

The request is to enhance DisplayLink to work with Windows so that its rotation is reflected to Windows so API can make use of it.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Wim

This is actually a Windows problem. Windows Display Properties will not show or position any screen that a width less than 640 or a height less than 480. This is why you get the problem when you rotate a minimon to 480x800. The horizontal is now less than 640, which WDP thinks is an illegal mode.

This is a problem in XP and Vista, but Microsoft have fixed it in Windows 7. The workaround is to use a 3rd party application (eg Ultramon) which doesn't think 480x800 is an illegal screen resolution.

Wim