Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 09-27-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
factorialandha

Default 30452: dGPU is hotter/clock is higher since I upgraded to Windows 10 19H1 v1903

Im having this issue with WUDFLoad and windows 10 on the latest (and previous version of windows 10) currently running 1803 and the latest Display Link drivers

It seems anything that requires drawing items on the external displays, causes wudfhost to spike (seen noticeable if you move the mouse around), WUDFHost is consistantly at the top of my cpu / average cpu load in resource monitor.

Has anyone found an actual solution to this.

Im running a Dell XPS 15 with GTX 1050, with a Dell Dock D3100 USB 3 dock.

Ive noticed performance issues for a while now, but only recently have i decided to really dig into what it could be. So im not sure exactly when it started.
factorialandha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
gisinator

Default same issues - brand new Lenovo E490 with Lenovo Hybrid C Dock

Wow, I never expected so many people out there facing the same issue.

So, bought a brand new Lenovo E490 and a Lenovo Hybrid-C Dockingstation. Connected two external monitors via HDMI and the fan party began. Even my old L440 never was that loud.

Each and every single driver and BIOS is up to date, but as soon as I connect one or two monitors via docking station, the CPU temperature increases by 10 degrees. This is just not acceptable!

Just did a simple testing-setup: Fullscreen Youtube video, thats it.

Two monitors via HDMI on Dock: CPU constantly between 65 and 70 degrees
One monitor via HDMI on Dock: CPU constantly between 65 and 70 degrees
One monitor via HDMI directly on Notebook: CPU constantly between 55 and 60 degrees.

Come on displaylink, are you guys for real?
gisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
mrbickxo

Default dGPU is hotter/clock is higher since I upgraded to Windows 10 19H1 v1903

Same issue with windows 10 after the displaylink software update, additionally i fixed some processes of WUDFHost.exe and windows modules installer worker responsible for higher usage but the problem remains.
mrbickxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
gisinator

See my attached Screenshots for results:

"zweiMonitoreAnDock" = two monitors via dockingstation Lenovo Hybrid-C
"einMonitorAnDock" = one monitor via dockingstations
"einMonitorAnNotebook" = one monitor directly plugged into my lenovo E490

All I do is playing a fullHD youtube video. I waited for five minutes after each switch so that temperature could settle.

Two monitors: ~67°
One monitor via dockingstation: ~65°
One monitor directly plugged into notebook: ~55°

Is this the way it's supposed to work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zweiMonitoreAnDock.jpg (100.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg einMonitorAnDock.jpg (97.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg einMonitorAnNotebook.jpg (100.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-26-2019, 07:05 PM   #5
gisinator

So, got myself another Lenovo dock, this time the USB-C dock, for testing purposes. It only allows 2 x FullHD via VGA and displayport, but for testing that's fine.

Result: It works like a charme. While running the exact same programs as with the Hybrid-C docking station, temperature is around 50° instead of over 60°.

So, displaylink people: Why does a brand new Hybrid-C lenovo with each and every driver up to date heat up my CPU by over 10° compared to a lower-end USB-C lenovo dock?

Why is it the users who have to keep testing and do the job you guys should do?
Old 08-08-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
iionas

Default dGPU is hotter/clock is higher since I upgraded to Windows 10 19H1 v1903

Hi Guys and girls,

Ive done some scouting and Ive found myself here.

I have a Acer Predator H300 with a i7700hq / GTX1060, tweaked for cool temps to allow as much use as possible out of the hardware including a liquid metal application. So belive me, without the dock, its VERY cool.

Bought one of these docks as i need t power multiple monitors (mostly just one external).

The dock is used in an Autocad Enviroment 90% of the time with some light browsing and sometimes gaming.

So Today I formatted 3 times to be completely sure of my result.

So, laptop formatted no display link, functioning temperatures normal and very low.

I installed the station and drivers, at first temps normal but as I start to work or do anything temps start to rise to a point where if im saving an Autocad Drawing thats heavier with more xrefs due to the dock it spikes and rises to 75-80 deg. This is not normal. I tested this in another scenario without the dock and the temps dont even compare.

I installed and tried every driver available, no dice. I also reformatted 3 times to try and replicate this issue, to make sure it was nothing else, Like I said, laptop is undervolted and tweaked and lm applied.

im running the latest build of 1903. Now. in the past with 1703/1709 I did not have any issues even say up to 1809 I did not have issues, temps were always decent while working with it. Now its just a pain.

Windows driver foundation pops up straight after a reboot also, Replicated this 3 times over with the same result.

What ive also noticed if it affects cpu clock modulation speeds where it keeps the cpu pegged at full clock speeds without doing anything. Again once dock is removed and not used, behaiviour is normal.

Device is under 11 months old.

Some help / Guidance would be appreciated if possible.

Thanks for reading my rant!
iionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #7
iionas

This is happening again all over on windows 1903. I’m going to bring it back up to prompt people to see if they have any fixes.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
iionas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicsy View Post
Chiming in too as the same is happening to me again.
Got forced onto 1903 by Microsoft and immediately my WUDFHost.exe is smashing CPU again.

i7-6700 @ 3.40Gz is always bursting to 3.72ghz while idling on the Windows desktop, 17%-20% CPU utilisation just by WUDFHost at idle.
Currently im on Dell 3100 (but I use other DL3000 docks also with same result).

I'm not putting any demands here, I love your products and praise & sell them regularly - keep up the good work. If I can help by pulling logs or anything please let me know.

I have found a work around for you guys. Ill post it up in a bit, just testing it more. Ive decreased temps by 15 degrees idle / working temps. Just testing it before anything else I dont want to mislead anyone.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:48 AM   #9
iionas

Alright guys,

So Ive been playing with the said 'workaround' for couple daysd and my temps are back to normal.

My initial finding is that the D3100 clocks the GPU to base speeds, so In my case it would clock it to 1404mhz without having to need to, as I checked use the load is virtually 0 on desktop and even using programs.

Yes the GPU will power all displays end of the day however theres no need for it to stay cranked all the time, generally what ive noticed once clocked up 1405mhz it starts to bring cpu temps up also (as expected).

SO!... Ive been using this tool called nvidia inspector. Link: https://pcgamesbeat.blogspot.com/201...-gpus.html?m=1

Basically I turn it on, turn on muti-display function as described and i just pushed a threshold to 20/20%. And all of a sudden, boom normal temperatures.

Basically what it does is it downclocks the gpu as it normally should (no need for gpu to stay clocked all the way when not doing work. (obviously it should vary).

I have tested it for the past 3 days to make sure it is good and I can still make use of it when it needs to be used at higher power states / function.

This is NOT a fix, this is a workaround if you have a nvidia gpu.

Ive dropped temperatures by 17-30 degrees on both cpu and gpu.

Hope they fix it so we dont have to run this particular thing but for now it allows me to still use this dock.

Any questions id be glad to help, If you guys need I can make a video and upload it explaining more.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:21 AM   #10
iionas

No thats fine, mine cut the temps down by downclocking, so what you did there is good. Have you got some sort of factory undervolt? How old is the unit?

Give me some specs