Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 06-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
leonc

Exclamation Big Sur 11.4 and KEXT isn't loading

My external monitors stopped being recognized. I unplugged the monitors and the USB device, but it didn't help. I was following the instructions here: https://support.displaylink.com/know...ticles/1188004

and the DisplayLink extension isn't even listed in the list of extensions at all. I checked System Preferences and "Security and Privacy", unlocked the screen, and I don't see any warning about software not being loaded or needing to be approved.

I do see DisplayLink Manager in the "screen recording" setting, and it is enabled.

I tried reinstalling the software but the installer refused, saying the software is already installed.

Not really sure where to go from here.
leonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:52 AM   #2
mitrius

Default Same issue.

Same issue.

kext not being loaded as an extension, although the installation of the application was successful.
Also, not seeing displaylink as an option under the screen recording preferences page.
Not sure what my next steps should be. I've included a screenshot of my loaded extensions.

------------------------------------------------------------

M1 iMac, using a Plugable 14-in-1 USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 Dock via thunderbolt cable, into thunderbolt port, and both monitors plugged in with raw HDMI cables.
Displaylink version 1.4.
Mac OS Big Sur 11.5 beta (20G5033c)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Notification_Center.jpg (20.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by mitrius; 06-13-2021 at 12:54 AM. Reason: adding more context.
mitrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
2020vision

Hi. I had this issue before. I didn't have it this time when I upgraded to Big Sur. I saved these notes if it happened again. Here they are:

DisplayLink Monitor Troubleshooting

Last time I reinstalled the OS I had to reinstall & enable everything in DisplayLink. Through the process of trial & error this step I’m outlining here took me about 3 hours. I’m writing this to save myself time in the future if I reinstall MacOS.

1. Download the latest version:
https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/macos

A new 1.1 version was released to replace the 5.2.5 version. I tried both versions but only the older 5.2.5 version works for now.

2. Follow these steps:
* System preferences > Privacy & security > Accessibility (check the green tick mark for Display Link Manager)
* System preferences > Privacy & security > Screen Recording (check the green tick mark)
* About this Mac > System Report > Software > Extensions > Displaylink
* Make sure the latest version is installed
* Make sure Notarized & Loaded both say Yes

Sometimes Displaylink won’t show up under extensions, simple open the Displaylink application and all monitors are enabled.

—————

3. Visit the below links for additional troubleshooting:

Enable kext
* https://support.displaylink.com/know...ticles/1188004

* https://support.displaylink.com/know...ticles/1916602

* https://support.displaylink.com/know...at-all-when-co

* https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?p=76864

4. Use a drive cleaner & restart multiple times. An apple advisor told me sometimes it just takes restarting multiple times.
2020vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
leonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020vision View Post

A new 1.1 version was released to replace the 5.2.5 version. I tried both versions but only the older 5.2.5 version works for now.
Did you uninstall the 1.1 version before installing 5.2.5? How do I even do that? Any links or pointers would be much appreciated.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
leonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020vision View Post
Hi. I had this issue before. I didn't have it this time when I upgraded to Big Sur. I saved these notes if it happened again. Here they are:

DisplayLink Monitor Troubleshooting

Last time I reinstalled the OS I had to reinstall & enable everything in DisplayLink. Through the process of trial & error this step I’m outlining here took me about 3 hours. I’m writing this to save myself time in the future if I reinstall MacOS.

2. Follow these steps:
* System preferences > Privacy & security > Accessibility (check the green tick mark for Display Link Manager)
* System preferences > Privacy & security > Screen Recording (check the green tick mark)
* About this Mac > System Report > Software > Extensions > Displaylink
* Make sure the latest version is installed
* Make sure Notarized & Loaded both say Yes

Sometimes Displaylink won’t show up under extensions, simple open the Displaylink application and all monitors are enabled.
First off, thanks for taking the time to reply and trying to help me out.

I followed these steps and still no luck. I had to manually add DisplayLink to the "accessibility" list...it wasn't listed at all, checked or unchecked, which I found odd. I see in the screen recording section two DL items: "DisplayLink User Agent" and "DisplayLink Manager". I assume one is the newer 1.4 version, and the other is the older 5.2.5 version. Both are enabled, just in case.

Now when I plug in the USB adapter, the Mac thinks there are other screens (windows disappear off the laptop screen), but the monitor stays dark and never shows anything. That is different behavior from before, where the monitor stayed dark and the Mac also didn't think there were any external monitors. Not exactly progress, but at least something different.

Any other suggestions?
Old 07-05-2021, 09:36 PM   #6
2020vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonc View Post
Did you uninstall the 1.1 version before installing 5.2.5? How do I even do that? Any links or pointers would be much appreciated.
Yes, use the displaylink uninstaller. My screens have been going and staying black lately when I step away from keyboard.

Maybe check the brightness on your laptop monitor. Second check your displays arrangement in Display in sys preferences. When I upgraded to Big Sur it rearranged the way everything looked. Try to disconnect and reconnect the docking station

Last edited by 2020vision; 07-05-2021 at 09:42 PM.
2020vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:02 PM   #7
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out!

Please keep in mind that driver 5.2.5 is not compatible with Big Sur - any version of Big Sur. Even if it installs it is not meant for this operating system.
We support in Catalina but not in Big Sur.

Driver versions 1.x are the only ones compatible with Big Sur and you cannot have both drivers installed at the same time - only one can be installed.

DisplayLink Manager 1.x does not have KEXT extension. Legacy drivers are KEXT drivers but DisplayLink Manager works more like an application therefore it does not use kernel extensions. They do not have to be accepted.
  1. If you have both drivers installed uninstall them and install just DisplayLink Manager 1.x.
  2. Enable Screen Recording - there should be now just one DisplayLink option avaiable.
  3. If the monitor still does not display anything make sure that you see your DisplayLink powered device under the USB bus - it has to show Vendor ID as DisplayLink (UK) Ltd.
  4. If you see it then in theory everything should be good if not please reach out to our support by creating a support ticket directly through the DisplayLink Manager app - Go to Feedback tab and submit your ticket. Make Sure to attach logfiles for analysis. Instructions how to gather those are here: How to Report MacOS Issues to DisplayLink

Best regards,
Kate
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote