Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 05-15-2020, 08:12 AM   #1
Goonie

Default dell D6000 docking station reduces FPS on games

Hi all, hi have bought a dockin station dell D6000. I have connected to this docking station mouse, headphones, keyboard and 1 screen and i have this dockin station connected to thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to my laptop with a GTX1060. I have noticed that FPS are reduced in games when i have the screen connected to docking station insted to directly to hdmi laptop. Is this a normal behavior?
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #2
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello Goonie,

Thank you for contacting our support.

This will mostly depend on the type of the video game that you are playing. Some games may have a different performance while being played through the docking station.

Can you please tell me what games are having this issue and how extensive it is? Do you see a massive FPS reduction or a possible drops?

The external screen that you are using, to which port is it connected on the docking station?

Thank you for providing me with any additional information that you can.

Best regards,
Jakub
JakubDabrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
Goonie

Hi JakubDabrowski,

Specifically the game is The division 2. Playing with hdmi cable connected directly to laptop hdmi connector and Keyboard, mouse and heaphones to thunderbolt 3 connector via docking station in game FPS are between 70-60 fps. By other hand, fully connected docking station configuration (hdmi, mouse, keyboard and headphones) via thuderbolt is droping FPS constantly to 45-50 fps.

The connector that i'm using in docking station is hdmi.

Please let me know if you need some more information like a log or something else.

Regards.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello Goonie,

Thank you for clarification.

Simply speaking an fps drop is expected as the laptop need to copy the whole image through the docking station onto your external monitor.

There is a slight chance of boosting your performance by making dock use more CPU than GPU. Could you please verify what is the present usage of CPU and GPU while you are playing The Division 2 over a dock?

Additionally, please follow the third link in my signature and gather the log files for me. I would like to see complete system specifications.

Thank you for your feedback,

Kind regards,
Jakub
JakubDabrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:08 AM   #5
Rxn

Hello!

I wanted to provide some information as I am experiencing the same issue which came on out of nowhere for me.

I purchased the D6000 docking station early December 2019 and have two monitors and a load of peripherals attached, I play World of Warcraft Classic and have raided 2 nights a week since this time and this dock has been working great with wonderful performance until sometime between Friday June 26 - Sunday June 28.
(I raided Thursday June 25 with no issues, and on Sunday raided again and noticed the problem). I didn't use the laptop with the dock over the weekend, so I can't pinpoint the day exactly. I think the only update that was done in between was a windows av security definition.

The FPS spikes I encounter are significant and make the game unplayable, it pixelates so much it makes text on the screen unreadable and the graphics look 8bit. It's bad.
I dropped from a normal 100+ FPS down to 20 FPS or less (low dip in a city was 8) depending on areas I am within the game. WoW Classic is not a graphics intensive game by any means, and I have a less than year old MSI gaming laptop with an nvidia rtx 2060 and i7 processor - the FPS I'm experiencing simply shouldn't happen - even with slight reduced FPS from having a dock.

Before I narrowed it down to the dock, I updated all pending windows updates including 2004 (sigh), confirmed my drivers were up to date. Process of elimination lead me here, and previous forum posts about this very problem back from 2016 to current.

The "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process" is the process that is spiking in the Task Manager, anywhere from 20-80% of my GPU, which is causing the FPS to be garbage. Without the dock, game plays perfectly. I have sat and plugged and unplugged the dock to watch the FPS and system processes drop dramatically when dock is not in use.

Please let me know if there's any additional information I can provide, I'd love to get back to raiding like normal

Edit: This is with connecting the dock via normal USB and USB C - same results.

Last edited by Rxn; 06-30-2020 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Additional info
Rxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #6
Ategra

Default Fixed it!

In reply to Rxn;
I too (a fellow World of Warcraft Classic player) faced this issue recently.
I also have an MSI Laptop, and am also using the Dell D6000 docking station, connecting it to my screens using DisplayPorts.

However, I found the solution!
When I play the game on my laptop, I get about 100 fps.
When I connect it to the D6000 using USB C, fps drops to 12.
After inspecting my computer's performance in the task manager, I noticed that whenever the device is connected to the D6000, the usage of the NVIDIA graphics card drops to 0% and the onboard Intel graphics cards rises to 100%. When I unplug the usb C, the situation turns around.
This made me realise that I'm running the game on the wrong graphics card when the docking station is connected.

I tried various ways to resolve this issue (like setting the default graphics card for the game in the NVIDIA control panel), but none of that worked.

Eventually, I just disabled the Intel UHD graphics display adapter in my device settings.
Once I did that, FPS rises back to 60 fps (which is the cap for the D6000)!!

Please note that when you do this, it might have a significant effect on the battery life of your laptop.

Even though this is a year old topic, I hope this information is useful to some of you!
Ategra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:41 PM   #7
Rxn

Default Thank you!

Hey friend!

Thanks so much for the update! I did read your response but forgot to reply and thank you!!! I don't know why it changed on its lonesome, but I do appreciate your response!
Old 08-31-2021, 06:18 PM   #8
Rxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ategra View Post
In reply to Rxn;
I too (a fellow World of Warcraft Classic player) faced this issue recently.
I also have an MSI Laptop, and am also using the Dell D6000 docking station, connecting it to my screens using DisplayPorts.

However, I found the solution!
When I play the game on my laptop, I get about 100 fps.
When I connect it to the D6000 using USB C, fps drops to 12.
After inspecting my computer's performance in the task manager, I noticed that whenever the device is connected to the D6000, the usage of the NVIDIA graphics card drops to 0% and the onboard Intel graphics cards rises to 100%. When I unplug the usb C, the situation turns around.
This made me realise that I'm running the game on the wrong graphics card when the docking station is connected.

I tried various ways to resolve this issue (like setting the default graphics card for the game in the NVIDIA control panel), but none of that worked.

Eventually, I just disabled the Intel UHD graphics display adapter in my device settings.
Once I did that, FPS rises back to 60 fps (which is the cap for the D6000)!!

Please note that when you do this, it might have a significant effect on the battery life of your laptop.

Even though this is a year old topic, I hope this information is useful to some of you!
Hey friend!

Thanks so much for the update! I did read your response but forgot to reply and thank you!!! I don't know why it changed on its lonesome, but I do appreciate your response!

(I think I replied incorrectly before - thanks again!)