Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 01-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
ColinB

Default How to get notified of DisplayLink software updates ?

Hi

First post here, so please be gentle !

I have a Kensington USB3 dock (model 33970) connected to my Win 8.1 laptop. A while ago the ethernet stopped working, so on Kensington's advice I updated the software from the DL website - at the time the latest version was 7.7M0 - and that duly fixed the problem. But I was surprised that I hadn't been offered the latest software through Windows Update (WU). I've just checked back again and discovered there have been further updates, the latest seems to be 7.7M2, and again I've not been offered anything automatically. The user guide suggests users should get updates through WU, but that obviously isn't happening and I can't find out why: it is pretty inconvenient and clumsy for users to have to check back manually to find out if there are updates. I have asked Kensington but they refuse to help, pointing me towards DisplayLink - but their website says they don't support end-users directly, only corporate resellers - so my only hope seems to be this forum.

Users expect their devices to continue functioning and if that requires periodic software updates then that ought to happen as seamlessly as possible. What I want is for updates to be provided automatically via WU or at the very least for me to be notified when a new version is available. Is there any way I can get either of these to happen please ?

Thanks in advance.
ColinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

DisplayLink software is categorized as a recommended update rather than an important update on Windows Update.

To get notified of new updates please select "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" as mentioned on this FAQ:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #3
ColinB

Hi JamesH
Thank you for your response. I confirm that I already have the settings to "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates", and have always had it set up like that. Still not getting DisplayLink updates - I see the DL Support website is now saying the latest is 7.7M3; my last manual update was 7.7M0 and none of M1, M2, or M3 have been advertised to me through Windows Update. Any more ideas ?
Thanks
Colin
ColinB is offline   Reply With Quote