Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 11-28-2020, 11:01 PM   #1
davss

Default macOS App Login Extension.dmg killed my DL drivers on MacBook Air M1

In short - DL drivers work on Apple MacBook Air 13 inch A2337 only in horizontal mode and there is no visible lags! However, DO NOT INSTALL add-on suggested in DisplayLink Manager app "Monitor detected", "Available to download and install" (a screen-shot showing it at https://support.displaylink.com/know...ing-permission). The downloaded file is 'macOS App Login Extension.dmg' and it messed up working DL software completely which won't start anymore = no more external USB monitors

I just got my Air A2337, installed the latest DL drivers (Release: 1.1 13 Aug 2020) and allowed access in security for the driver to work. At first was nicely surprised as my 2 x USB Dell 2515H came online via two StarTech USB32DPPRO hardware with no visible lags! I have these monitors connected to a UGREEN single USB-C hub model CM179. I also have a third Dell 2515H monitor connected via HDMI in this hub and it's working fine. I was quite excited and went to change rotation on the other two DL USB monitors as use them in vertical mode. When changed from 'Standard' rotation to any 90, 180 or 270 it freezes picture on screens for some time then flashes once and it's back to 'Standard' horizontal so rotation doesn't work no matter what I do and fiddle with resolutions/refresh rates.

Now, I poked around in DisplayLink Manager (in top menu bar) and noticed an extension add-on hasn't been installed. Therefore, downloaded it under file name 'macOS App Login Extension.dmg' then installed. This really messed up my Big Sur 11.0 and it went into black screen after a reboot and login. Pressing any keys it would only flash the login screen for a second and then back to black screen again. I was only able to get back into OS X after unplugging the USB-C hub with connected external monitors. I then uninstalled the DL driver via this ugly add-on but unfortunately it seems to have completely BROKEN my DisplayLink driver/app now as it's not longer starting even after complete removal and reinstallation . When am launching the Manager it instantly kicks me out to login screen.

Waiting for DL guys to sort out these problems... last time DL drivers stopped working we were left for over 8 months without a solution... I really hope this doesn't happen again - this time would give up DL forever.

Last edited by davss; 11-29-2020 at 01:52 AM.
davss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:30 AM   #2
davss

I've now updated the OS X to Big Sur 11.0.1 as apparently there's a problem with factory restore that can pretty much brick brand new M1 devices. I wanted to reload my MBA from scratch to reinstall DL drivers again (without the add-on) but one person has reported that a workaround after updating to 11.0.1 from Apple still doesn't seem to resolve the problem so can't really try it atm.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211983

If you have another Mac with Catalina and USB-C then there is a way to restore bricked M1 otherwise it's a lottery and a trip to Apple store in COVID times or sending back for replacement.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
davss

I gave up trying after numerous of attempts to reinstall DL drivers, changing settings and manually looking to remove any old DL files before reinstalling the drivers, rebooting each time etc. Nothing worked until today when I started again DL manager (to collect logs for a DL rep who's asked me to do run the app first) and this time it magically worked again! Fortunately, I cannot reproduce the problem anymore and won't even try to install again the LOGIN SCREEN EXTENSION add-on described at https://support.displaylink.com/know...ntroduction-in.

EDIT: At one point while having 2 vertical DL monitors on (not using them really because can't rotate) my native external monitor connected via UGREEN hub/adapter lost connection and was unable to reconnect. I tried connecting the monitor via another UGREEN USB-C to HDMI dedicated adapter but no joy. A reboot restored the connection - not sure if it was DL that caused it or OS X Big Sur 11.0.1.

Cheers,
David

Last edited by davss; 12-01-2020 at 11:14 AM.