Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
gevans

Default Network Error on install using latest driver

Have a Dell Latitude E6330 Windows 7 with Toshiba Dynadock U3.0 when installing latest driver receive an error saying DisplayLink Network Adapter NCM failed to install. Check device manager an all seems ok though.
Also noticed now when plugging speakers into the front ports no sound is heard. Have to go into the Audio settings and configure the speakers from Mono to Stereo for any audio to be heard.
On exact same configuration using previous release of driver do not see any of these issues.
Any ideas?
gevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
luiset83

The network driver changed, so as a result Windows thinks the network connection is a 'new adapter', and explains the error message you saw, as I did as well. All said, it's probably a slightly bad coded installer/uninstaller issue, that alone is should not be an issue, as you said your connection had a driver installed, as mine did as well.

In my case, I get annoyed when things like that happen and I ended up removing all the USB devices related to DisplayLink with USBDeview -- http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html and deleted references to the older network connection, rebooted and plugged in the dock to re-detect the hardware to get rid of the stale devices.

That being said, if your USB network connection is fine (as mine was -- I did the above to get rid of stale remnants of old drivers) you shouldn't need to worry about that. In re: to the audio, it's possible that might be some sort of bug. It might help the developers if you capture a log as mentioned here:

http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269
luiset83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Wim

Yes - this is known and is due to a chicken and egg problem when upgrading.

7.2 has a new Ethernet driver model, so cannot talk to the previous Ethernet firmware in the DisplayLink device. This means when DisplayLink 7.2 software is installed, and the Ethernet driver is installed it fails to talk to the Ethernet in our chip. This is shown as the error in Windows.

However a few seconds later, the DisplayLink service starts running and the first thing it does is update the firmware in the DisplayLink chip to match the host software version. At this point the Ethernet firmware is updated, and our chip is rebooted (disconnects and reconnects to the USB bus) and now the new Ethernet driver can successfully talk to the device.

I guess that is a long way of saying that although Ethernet shows in error - it is not something to worry about and Ethernet should work correctly after upgrade.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote