Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #31
Milkdrop

Hello,

to make it short, i have the same issue as all the people above have.

I tried nVIDIA drivers version:
280.26 (old version)
285.62 (current release)
290.53 (beta)

Also tried em all in combination with the DisplayLink Driver 6.1.35667 and the 5.6 M1.

No change whatever i try.
Ends with me doing a system reinstate after every attemp so the files are clean.

I first install the DisplayLink driver, then i restart the PC, then i plug in the device to the USB and it installs drivers via USB and then bang, dwm.exe dies, aero goes off (windows goes basic mode) and i can't enable areo anymore at all.
Though the third screen does go online, once i reboot the machine it's all dead - down to one screen working only, the nvidia drivers being unable to initialise and so on.

I spent 6 hours on trying to troubleshoot this issue now, no chance with the given software.

Oh yea, i use a GTX 470 and at least the first two drivers (old version and current release one) i tried are WDDM 1.1 compilant, didn't bother to check the dxdiag on the beta one.

Considering everything runs fine until i plug the device to the PC, i would guess one of these windows update distributed drivers is bogus and not the 6.1 download you offer here.
I tried to change the driver back to the one thats in the DisplayLink install directory, but Windows doesn't manage to find a proper driver (not even when i have it search all truh C:\).

Something in the driver changes when it does the install-on-usb-connect and i would guess thats where you guys should be looking.

As of today i have only two weeks left to return the device, so i would appreciate a quick reply if it's even possible to fix the issue, since i would like my money back if that thing isn't gona work for me anyday at all.

Best regards and thanks in advance~~
Milkdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #32
Wim

Hi All

OK - sorry for the delay but I've been out of office for a few weeks (the wife has just had a baby) so not been keeping up with this. Looking through the thread there seem to be a number of different issues here, but all related to NVIDIA. There seems to be:

1. NVIDIA Control panel disappearing when DisplayLink software is installed. We need to try and reproduce this and see if its "feature" of NVIDIA graphics when they detect another graphics driver installed or if its something we are doing.

2. dwm.exe crashing when DisplayLink is connected so Aero glass graphics are not available. Larsson - This is on v5.6 M1. Could you try v6.1 M1 and see if you have the same problem?

3. System corruption (Milkdrop). I assume this is on Windows 7? Could you send the log files from your system for this, as this looks like something different again.

Hopefully we can start getting to the bottom of some of these issues, as I don't think they are all down to the same cause.

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #33
Milkdrop

Hi Wim,

congratulations on the baby.

Have fun with the two logfiles, i added the state of the process after the system created name.

One being taken right after the install from USB without any reboots.
(well, first installed the 6.1 from the website which i downloaded and then pluged the USB device into the PC).

And the other being taken after the reboot, when the USB Device doesn't even light up anymore and my nVIDIA drivers wont initialize anymore.

Since i run out of time on the return policy i gona pack the device up and return it to the shop where i ordered it, don't wanna be stuck with a not working device.

When i called them, they said they gona send me a new one to make sure it's not a hardware issue but honestly, i dont think so since right after the install i can get a second screen working, just without aero... and once i reboot everything fails... doesn't look like a hardware problem but who knows.

I will follow the thread though in case you manage to find some information on the issue, since i might get stuck with a second hardware devide in a week or so...

Sincerly
-Tami
Milkdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #34
Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
2. dwm.exe crashing when DisplayLink is connected so Aero glass graphics are not available. Larsson - This is on v5.6 M1. Could you try v6.1 M1 and see if you have the same problem?

I fixed it. Im not quite sure what did it tho.
What I did was that I cleaned the registry, cleaned every driver that could have a conflict with the graphics. Also found that windows was trying to install parts of ATI drivers? Which was weird since Ive never used ATI at all.
Anyhow, I did all that at the same time. Reboot, download and install everything fresh, aswell as DL drivers. It all seems to works jsut as intended now, tho I am just using the 5.6 drivers(am a bit scared it will f*** up again if I update :P

Thats what I did, and now it works. Not sure what fixed any of it, but that might work for others too? Winupdate was probably the reason if I may guess.

Programs I used was:
CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner)
Driver Magician V3.41 (www.drivermagician.com)

Goodluck!
Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #35
RobotGizmo

Has there been any update on this issue? I have an Alienware M18x with 2 nVidia GT 675m cards running in SLI, and I get constant blue screens. With the DisplayLink software uninstalled the laptop works perfectly. Is there a plan to support systems with SLI? Thanks!
RobotGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #36
ZipZap

Default NVidia Optimus problems resolved

Hi,

I managed to get a new Targus USB 3.0 Dual Video Adapter (Displaylink 3900 based) working in my Lenovo W520 notebook under Windows 7 Pro. My W520 has NVidia Optimus with Quadro 1000m and Intel HD 3000 graphics.

After installing the latest Displaylink software, v6.3, my machine was BSOD, among other woes.

To resolve this, I went into the BIOS, set graphics to Discrete only, and disabled O/S detection. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the Displaylink software.

After that, I rebooted into BIOS, reset graphics to Optimus, rebooted, and everything is working.

I hope this helps.

Best, ZZ
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #37
RobotGizmo

I used to have a T520 and had similar problems as well. I also found that forcing discrete graphics in the bios fixed the issues. With my new laptop, it has 2 nVidia cards running in SLI, which apparently the DisplayLink drivers don't like. I've already forced the bios to use discrete graphics only, but it didn't solve it in this case.
RobotGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #38
kleineMax

This needs to be fixed!

I have also Win7 x64 and the nvidia control panel is not wokring if I plug in my Samsung Syncmaster U70, the same counts for Nvidia PhysX.
Every game that uses PhysX warns me when i switch the hardware-acceleration on and tells me that its not supported by my GPU. As soon as i unplug my U70 these warnings are gone.

If the problem is Nvidia not allowing another "GPU"-like device then find a way to mask your driver as a non GPU.

You developt this technology, it should be the problem of users if it is not working with other standard hardware (nvidia is the biggest standard in GPU-hardware)

System:
Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1
Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 with 314.07 driver
Samsung Syncmaster with 7.1 M1 Displaylink Driver
kleineMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #39
Darkphox

Default Fix

KleineMax,

I had a similar problem, but have solved my issues. I hope what I did may help you out.

I had Nvidia drivers 310.90, and display link 6.1 installed. Everything was peachy. Installed 314.07 driver and now every time i start windows i get a popup that windows desktop manager has crashed. IE worked, but every time i closed it i had a popup saying it encountered an error and needed to close. I reverted to 310.90 and everything worked fine again.

I recently reformatted my drive, and encountered the error again with fresh installs of 314.07 and display link driver 6.1. I went to their driver page (link below), and downloaded display link driver 7.1m1. Installed, restarted and everything works like it should now. For some reason, windows automatically installs 6.1m0, even though newer drivers are available (several versions of 6.1, 7.0, and 7.1). Try this, and see if it works for you.

link:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php

download the first link (7.1m1), install, and restart windows.

Last edited by Darkphox; 03-02-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Darkphox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #40
kleineMax

yeah the 'desktop window manager is not working' thing was solved with the 7.1M1, but as i wrote thats not the issue im facing at the moment

(also see the last 2 lines of my post )

The problem is that the nvidia control panel can not be opened as long as i plug in my displaylink device and also if it is pluged in Nvidia PhysX is not working
kleineMax is offline   Reply With Quote