Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 01-28-2015, 02:34 AM   #1
Mark Butterfield

Smile Kensington sd3500v dock and Lenovo Y2P Screen Resolution question

I have a Kensington USB 3.0 Docking Station model sd3500v and a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro laptop with 3200 X 1800 screen resolution. When docked I extend the Lenovo screen to My Dell 27 inch LCD monitor Model AOC 2752H which has a resolution of: 1920 X 1080 . My question has to do with screen font and icon sizes after a "hot swap". Situation 1) if I boot the laptop while connected to the dock then everything is fine on both monitors. If I then disconnect from the dock then the display switches to the laptop, as it should, but the font and icons are so tiny that they are unreadable. The only way I have found to fix the problem is to reboot. If I reboot the laptop without being connected to the dock then it comes up with fonts and icons correctly sized. Second scenario is when I have booted the laptop without being connected to the dock and then I later connect to the dock then the fonts and icons on the Dell LCD monitor are so huge that they not only take up too much space on the screen but they look ridiculous. Once again, the only solution I have found is to reboot the laptop. In all of my "googling" and reading support forums I have not seen anyone else complaining about this problem so I am sure that I have mis-configured something or have some setting set wrong. Please tell me how to setup my environment so that I can dock and un-dock and have the correct display resolutions reset automatically without me having to reboot.

Thanks, Mark
Mark Butterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
Wim

This is due to the way Windows scales the desktop depending on resolution. On Windows 7 you can only have one scaling setting for all displays, so if you have a mixture of high resolution (3200x1800) and low resolution displays (1080p) the scaling will not look right on one of the screens.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ff629368.aspx

Windows 8 onwards solves this by letting you have different scaling on different screens.

I assume you are using Windows 7, which is why you are seeing this issue?

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
Mark Butterfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
This is due to the way Windows scales the desktop depending on resolution. On Windows 7 you can only have one scaling setting for all displays, so if you have a mixture of high resolution (3200x1800) and low resolution displays (1080p) the scaling will not look right on one of the screens.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ff629368.aspx

Windows 8 onwards solves this by letting you have different scaling on different screens.

I assume you are using Windows 7, which is why you are seeing this issue?

Wim
Thanks for your response Wim.

Sorry I did not mention my Windows version in my original post. I am running Windows version 8.1 although it seems to be acting like Win 7 in regard to scaling. On the display settings screen there is a check box labeled "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" that is not checked. The system however acts like it is checked. I can only adjust the scaling for one monitor (the monitor that was set as the "main" monitor when the system was booted.

While I would like to set the scaling separately for each display when docked my pressing issue is that resolution and scaling are not adapting to the change in environment when I dock or un-dock. When I dock or un-dock the scaling is not adjusted until I close all running applications and reboot. This is a huge pain in the neck and (I think) should not be necessary. Do you have any suggestions that may help me get this fixed?

Thanks, Mark
Mark Butterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
Wim

Yeah - I think if you change scaling modes, you at least need to log off and on for the changes to take. I think this is just a limitation of Windows and something to be improved for Windows 10.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot swap, kensington, lenovo, screen resolution