Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 02-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #81
AppleMacGenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
I have an early 2009 iMac 24" NVidia GT120 running a Mimo 7" USB monitor in landscape before I just upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.7.3 over the weekend.

I notice the Display Preference shows no resolution numbers and no ability to rotate the display.

I have my monitors set to sleep after 20 minutes....yesterday after coming home from work, the Mimo didn't wake up properly, it was flashing colors/checkerboard/etc like it had just powered up and no system was driving it. So I unplugged it from the USB for a while...when I plugged it back in, the background image appeared briefly, then the windows I keep open on it appeared, then the background image changed to just an all gray screen but the app windows stayed visible....that's the way it's sitting now. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.
Option + Apple + open monitor = give you rotation option on all monitors.
AppleMacGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #82
jpap

Unhappy

For what it's worth, this happened to me today after installing the 10.7.3 combined update. :(

I'm using the Plugable UGA-2K-A (DL-195) with a HP ZR24w rotated at 90deg (1200x1920), plugged into one of the USB2 ports on my Thunderbolt display. I run the latest model MBP 13".

I rely on the second rotated monitor for software development and hope an updated driver can be made available very soon. A black screen is quite discomforting...

jpap
jpap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #83
jpap

Glad to hear we're in the same boat, at least.

If there are any release candidate builds that you need testing, I'll gladly help.

The Thunderbolt display (which I now have) has a VESA mount option, and you can indeed ask the staff at an Apple Store to configure it vertically at 90deg.

The display options in System Preferences has a drop down rotation selection by default. (I recall having to use the hidden option/alt key option to enable the same thing for the DisplayLink monitor. Was this because the DL driver didn't expose rotation-capabilities to OS X?)

jpap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
In the meanwhile my rotated screen is black: have to fix this issue quickly! Hopefully it will be possible, it's likely that Apple does not test much with rotation now that they have removed the option from the standard interface and don't sell any displays that can be rotated.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #84
Carlo
Mac Team

Time for an update.

We found that every third party Lion driver we could find has problems with rotation. Luckily for iPad-as-a-monitor users if the resolution list is just one long, when you rotate the the resolution list just disappears instead of crashing.

So at the moment could not find a good way to restore the rotation functionality. We're still trying a few ideas but nothing that we have access to in the OS has changed so have very few leads.
We're in contact with Apple and can only hope them to tell us this is a bug we can fix on our side.
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #85
chaz4070

Thanks for the update but I'm sure the news is not what any of us want to hear.

Now that 10.8 has been announced what is your timeline to downloading a developer copy and testing it? I'm assuming that functionally, something like displays/display preferences won't be altered much if at all from 10.7 -> 10.8 but one can hope right?
chaz4070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #86
jpap

That is actually great news, Carlo!

How about an interim workaround whereby only the highest resolution supported by the connected DisplayLink monitor is returned? That way we share the iPad-as-a-monitor single-resolution configuration and the "list length greater than one" OS X bug is not triggered?

A more elaborate workaround could be a config file where the user could select an alternate resolution. e.g. A list of resolutions is populated by the driver in a config file where the default selection is the highest resolution; the user could edit the file under sudo and select a different resolution, then reboot to enact. (I'd imagine that most users, myself included, do not change resolutions very often, if ever, after installation.)

Really missing my 90deg DisplayLink connected monitor! :-)

jpap

Quote:
Time for an update.

We found that every third party Lion driver we could find has problems with rotation. Luckily for iPad-as-a-monitor users if the resolution list is just one long, when you rotate the the resolution list just disappears instead of crashing.

So at the moment could not find a good way to restore the rotation functionality. We're still trying a few ideas but nothing that we have access to in the OS has changed so have very few leads.
We're in contact with Apple and can only hope them to tell us this is a bug we can fix on our side.

Last edited by jpap; 02-17-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #87
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpap View Post
How about an interim workaround whereby only the highest resolution supported by the connected DisplayLink monitor is returned? That way we share the iPad-as-a-monitor single-resolution configuration and the "list length greater than one" OS X bug is not triggered?
At the moment we're trying something a little bit more elaborate, you're describing the final resort in case we don't find anything else in terms of workarounds.
It would be best to choose the monitor's native resolution but too many monitors lie about that so probably the highest resolution is the best choice at least for digital displays.

If this is working we'll post an alpha marked with flashing red lights and alarm sounds for you to try: the last time we worked around an OS bug and the resulting beta was not working on all systems (because of another OS bug, mind you) we've been shredded to pieces in this forum.. part of the job!

Cheers
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #88
qthatswho

Default Unable to employ workaround

Hi,

I've been following events here, and tried to employ all of the workarounds posted, but had no luck. I believe there is some issue with entering Safe Mode when FileVault2 (full disk encryption) is enabled. I can't seem to get into that mode (system, just keeps rebooting after progress bar in EFI).

I can't get my second display working at all, and if I connect the DisplayLink adapter, it hoses my machine because the blue screen appears, and there's no way to get out of it (even removing DL adapter has no effect).

I'm okay with giving up rotation for now, but I really need my second display. Any other thoughts on how to reset the display prefs so that I can at least use my other display?

Thanks in advance.
qthatswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #89
Renejos

Default lag on DisplayLink monitor?

I just got a DisplayLink unit to use with my new 22" screen running at 1920*1080, I works great but I was kind of disappointed with the lag on the screen, not even the mouse is moving smoothly, but as for what I have managed to read is that there has been a big decrease in performance from 10.6.x to 10.7.x.. I just wanted to hear what the status of getting a performance boost from the driver?

But still loving my new extra screen..
Renejos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #90
jpap

Smile

Fantastic, Carlo! Thanks for the update. :-) (I almost forgot that CRTs even existed; can they easily be physically mounted at 90deg?)

Looking forward to the alpha version with all the (red) bells and whistles. ;-) Feel free to PM me if you need a more gentle evaluation of the driver. I'd be glad to help out and regain use of my second display.

jpap

Quote:
At the moment we're trying something a little bit more elaborate, you're describing the final resort in case we don't find anything else in terms of workarounds.
It would be best to choose the monitor's native resolution but too many monitors lie about that so probably the highest resolution is the best choice at least for digital displays.

If this is working we'll post an alpha marked with flashing red lights and alarm sounds for you to try: the last time we worked around an OS bug and the resulting beta was not working on all systems (because of another OS bug, mind you) we've been shredded to pieces in this forum.. part of the job!

Cheers
Carlo

Tags
1.7, 10.7.3, bvu195, diamond, lion