Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
ehsan

Unhappy Win 8.1 update --> black display

Hi,
I have a ASUS N550JV with dual grafic cards (intel(r) hd graphics 4600 and nvidia geforce gt 750M).

With windows 8.0 everything worked fine and I had my laptop connected with 2 displays (hdmi and displaylink). After update to 8.1 the displaylink connected monitor is black.

Screendump _does_ shows image on all 3 monitors!

I have the latest nvidia drivers as well as displaylink drivers which i updated after the 8.1 update according to the instructions on your website.

I have already spent too many hours trying to solve this issue. Would appreciate your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skärmbild (5).jpg (18.7 KB, 6 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip SILVERPILEN_20131031_145756.zip (1.16 MB, 0 views)
ehsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Carousel

Default Black screens following Nvidia updates on Win 8.1

I had a hellish time two weeks back (black and blinking screens) after updating to Windows 8.1 without first getting the DisplayLink 7.4 update. Only solved this by going back to Windows 8.0 via a refresh.

But I just received an "important" Nvidia GeForce GT 750M update from the Windows 8.1 update center... And it took my screens black again. I wish this update had been flagged "optional". I would have missed it.

I got the screens working again by disabling the Nvidia device. To try this, open the device manager on the control panel, go down to the display adapter section, right-click the Nvidia driver an select disable.

I suppose this means that I do not have all the graphics capability of my PC now. Though, having an Intel 4th Gen Haswell chip, and not being a gamer, I cannot tell the difference so far.

But I hope that someone can provide a proper solution / driver or software updates.
Carousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #3
mattk

Default Blank Screens after udate

After my notebook did an auto update and updated my Intel USB3.0 controller and nvidia graphics card my multiple monitors have gone blank. They show up in the display manager and my mouse seems to goto those screens but all is blank.
I have updated my software to the 7.4 M2 and also from windows 8 to 8.1. Still with no luck.
Any help would be appreciated.
mattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
mattk

just disabled my nvidia display adapter in the device manager and both my screens on display link are working again.
mattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
ehsan

Default Who will fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk View Post
just disabled my nvidia display adapter in the device manager and both my screens on display link are working again.
Having dual graphics is a way for laptops to have powerful graphics but without using too much battery. Disableing the grafic card solution is a bit like cutting away a couple of toes instead of fixing the non-fitting shoe

I would like to know if this is a problem with DisplayLInk drivers or if it is something wrong with Win 8.1 or Nvidia? Should I wait for a fix from Displaylink or from Microsoft or Nvidia?

I can't roll back to Win 8.0, but would it help to role back to older drivers from DL or Nvidia?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Carousel

Default Win 8.1 and Nvidia update --> black display

Hello. Are there any senior moderators / Displaylink folks out there knowing when an update may be coming? I have been checking every now and then to see if the latest DisplayLink and Nvidia updates are compatible. I would
reactive my Nvidia display adapter and still have all screens. BUT this would be lost once the PC was rebooted.

Another Nvidia update came down on 30th November. And this does not seem compatible at all. Not only did I lose the extra screens but my base Windows 8.1 setup got all messed up... No start screen for one. And no more taskbar icons either. I resorted to manually activating control panel utilities via Windows-R and finally got everything back... with the Nvidia display adapter deactivated again.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
luiset83

I've posted about this a few times on different threads... in the meantime until they release new drivers that fix this issue sometime this month supposedly, try downgrading to 7.4M0 and see if it fixes the issue:

http://displaylink.com/support/sla.php?fileid=98

I personally have 327.23 drivers on my Toshiba P50 laptop upgraded to Windows 8.1 with NVIDIA GT740m and Intel HD graphics and 7.4M0 with no issues. I tried upgrading to 7.4M2 and it broke my system in the same black monitors manner.
luiset83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
JamesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carousel View Post
Hello. Are there any senior moderators / Displaylink folks out there knowing when an update may be coming? I have been checking every now and then to see if the latest DisplayLink and Nvidia updates are compatible. I would
reactive my Nvidia display adapter and still have all screens. BUT this would be lost once the PC was rebooted.

Another Nvidia update came down on 30th November. And this does not seem compatible at all. Not only did I lose the extra screens but my base Windows 8.1 setup got all messed up... No start screen for one. And no more taskbar icons either. I resorted to manually activating control panel utilities via Windows-R and finally got everything back... with the Nvidia display adapter deactivated again.
Hi,

This should be fixed in the next release due out early December.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
ehsan

Unhappy Still no fix?

After waiting 4 months for a fix I went and bought a new usb-->hdmi adapter - uga usb3... and gess what... it also uses DisplayLink and thus do not work.

Is there really no way of using the DisplayLink adaptors with a high end laptop on an updated windows?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
Carousel

Default Win 8.1 update --> black display

Hello. Well there was no joy in December. But there were finally some updates in January that solved the problem. May well have been on the Nvidea side. I do not know. But there was also just a Displaylink update and all is still working fine: graphics card is on and I have three screens (including the laptop's). I have even run a fourth screen at the same time, sending a movie to the widescreen TV in the room using XBMC. Try clicking for updates some.

Tags
black display, win 8.1