Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
schluntz

Default Multi-Display support for Android over USB

The Google Play store has a demo Display Link Desktop application that allows multi-display support and another version that's not accessable from the USA (but there is a link to it from the Targus web site.

Does anyone have updated information on multi-display support for Android for USB docks?

-Sean
schluntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Sean,

The extended desktop requires Android OS changes to handle mouse and launching applications to different displays.
These changes are available to phone manufacturers who would like to make their device a productivity one. As some products start to appear in the market, then we can hope the interest will increase... We've just been ready early.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
schluntz

I am unsure of other Android implementations, but my Pixel C running 7 supports external keyboard and mouse. I've done a keyboard with a NVidia Shield Tablet running 6, but haven't needed to try a mouse (easily enough done if needed).

Right now the Pixel C is connected to a Targus DOCK120 with a USB keyboard and an Apple Magic Mouse (not so magic when connected to Android ) and it is working just fine with my Dell monitor. I think I need to evaluate other docks though as it's scaling my display to 1080 even in DVI and I'd prefer to see native resolution.

I know it's missing the built-in ability to launch to another display, but that is functionality shown a year ago in demo. What was it about the demo situation that allowed your software to launch to a secondary/ternary display that can't be put into your software?

Thanks

-Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello Sean,

The extended desktop requires Android OS changes to handle mouse and launching applications to different displays.
These changes are available to phone manufacturers who would like to make their device a productivity one. As some products start to appear in the market, then we can hope the interest will increase... We've just been ready early.

Kind regards,
Alban
Old 06-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

You have the mouse cursor on one display, not dealing moving it between displays.
The changes are needed are in the OS. We customised the ROM.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
schluntz

Ah, no mouse between displays. That's interesting.

Since Google didn't see fit to add video alt-mode to the Pixel C I don't see them expanding mouse support either unless it becomes part of the default Android code.

So, for now I just need to find a USB dock that supports my tablets native resolution so I can work on the screen without it being blurry.

Thanks for responding.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Arrow

You're welcome.
You could also express the need to Google. If enough people do, then it will prove value. Some new products appearing in the market today around Android productivity make me optimistic this may be done.
The changes are not that complex...

To ease your job, you have applications changing the launcher in something a bit more desktop-like when docked. Look for Andromium, or similar. Sentio is even doing a product like that.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:59 PM   #7
schluntz

I've sent my feedback into Google.

I actually have (had, it's back with manuf for a power supply issue) one of the clamshells that turns your phone/device into a laptop. It's not a bad idea, but the Pixel C is a good size (for me) and I don't need to add the hastle of another thing. I ended up using it with a Raspberry Pi. I'm not looking for the look-and-feel change the software is offering.

It's just when I'm at a desk I want more space and for the most part just making the screen larger doesn't help. Split screen makes the larger screen work better, but I'm really hoping DisplayLink will get the support it needs to let me do multi-screen like I do with my Chromebook.

-Sean
Old 09-01-2019, 04:33 AM   #8
hacker1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
You have the mouse cursor on one display, not dealing moving it between displays.
The changes are needed are in the OS. We customised the ROM.
I know this thread hasn't been active for a while, I have a question:
Where can I find the OS changes necessary to support multiple screens? I build my own ROM for my phone, and I'd like to include this feature.
hacker1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, multi-display, multidisplay