Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 02-15-2021, 09:52 PM   #11
Ryan0751

I was hoping the 1.3 update would let me use additional retina modes on my LG 4K 32" display, but the options are the same as with 1.2: Either full 4K (too tiny for me), or 1080p (too big).
Ryan0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:07 AM   #12
anthlover

Default 1440 on 4K appears to be problematic on a number of displays over display link

You do not mention your Display link device or Mac model and how many displays you have, In my case I have an M1 Air and 15 inch Retina (two 32 inch displays [1 4K LG like yours and one 1440]). I do have both a thunderbolt dock as well Display link basked Targus 180. Generally Thunderbolt docs are better generally for Intel MACS as no driver is required at all and of course thunderbolt runs at 40Gbs second versus 5GB for most USB-C/displaylink based devices. Plenty for most uses, but not all.

None the less with my Targus 180 having so many ports including power delivery for either computers even my M1 has a port free. So I run my 4K display direct via a USB-C display port adapter (you can do the same with a USB-C to HDMI as well).

This increases the reliability of clam shell mode, solves the 1440 on 4K display issue and more.

In my case I ended up using the Targus for both computers even though the 15 inch Retina spends 85 percent of the time at the Dock. It much less recabling that way,

Last edited by anthlover; 03-17-2021 at 03:12 AM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #13
Ryan0751

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover View Post
You do not mention your Display link device or Mac model and how many displays you have, In my case I have an M1 Air and 15 inch Retina (two 32 inch displays [1 4K LG like yours and one 1440]). I do have both a thunderbolt dock as well Display link basked Targus 180. Generally Thunderbolt docs are better generally for Intel MACS as no driver is required at all and of course thunderbolt runs at 40Gbs second versus 5GB for most USB-C/displaylink based devices. Plenty for most uses, but not all.

None the less with my Targus 180 having so many ports including power delivery for either computers even my M1 has a port free. So I run my 4K display direct via a USB-C display port adapter (you can do the same with a USB-C to HDMI as well).

This increases the reliability of clam shell mode, solves the 1440 on 4K display issue and more.

In my case I ended up using the Targus for both computers even though the 15 inch Retina spends 85 percent of the time at the Dock. It much less recabling that way,
I have the MBP M1 and dual LG 32UL950W displays, and am using the StarTech USB 3.0 to Dual DisplayPort adapter.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #14
Ryan0751

Has there been any progress on these scaled resolution issues?

Are they at least being looked into? Can we expect a software update in the future?
Old 04-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #15
JanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan0751 View Post
Has there been any progress on these scaled resolution issues?

Are they at least being looked into? Can we expect a software update in the future?
You can vote for this feature:
https://support.displaylink.com/foru...eat-but-it-wou
JanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:34 PM   #16
tommiy

I gave it my vites. Was excited with the displaylink responses in that thread that displaymanager 1.3.1 was goping to restore the 4k resolutions that were missing. Unfrtunately that never occurred with that release and there has been no subsequent updates from displaylink on the matter. I'll watch from the sidelines on if this ever gets fixed for M1 as i have now returned my dock and M1. I suspect that the missing resolutions is an Apple issue and may never be solved on the existing M1 hardware. I had a intel MAC that works perfectly with HiDPI at the missing resolutions with my dock and displaylink. Change out the intel Mac for the M1 and the higher resolutions are gone. Either M1 hardware or bigsur as the intel mac i have is running Catalina. End answer is the same unfortunately. 4k, displaylink and a M1 your limited to an external display of 1920x1080 if you want some thing that is readable and not blurred.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:14 PM   #17
tommiy

I see displaylink manager 1.4 has just been released. The release notes have alot of change for UI behaviour and delivers upon screen rotation. Also states returns 4096x2160 resolution on M1 but does not state anything about supporting the resolutions that are missing between 1920x1080. So no changes to using anything other than too large or too small text on a M1.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2560x1440, apple m1