Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
JonathanB

Unhappy Unable to get USB 3.0 display working - Win 8.1

Good evening,

I have recently purchased a brand new AOC E1659Fwu 15.6" monitor, but I am unable to get it to work correctly. I have installed multiple versions of drivers with but unable to get it to function as a display.

Monitor: (http://us.aoc.com/monitor_displays/e1659fwu)

I have a Win 8.1 Desktop PC - The reason for buying this USB monitor was because of the small size which is perfect for my needs. I've tried to install the software via CD but it does not work with Win 8.1 and directs me to download the latest software directly from the DisplayLink website.

Step 1** I have downloaded the latest version software for Win 8.1 (v 7.6.55102.0) and installed it (device unplugged). Then plugged in device after reboot and rebooted again. The screen comes up with AOC which indicates it has power and but as soon as logged in PC it goes black. The software is listed under add/remove programs but there is no task bar short cut and Win Key + P makes no difference on trying to extend/mirror etc the display.

Step 2** Unplugged device, removed all the software and rebooted. Then used the DL Install cleaner to ensure nothing remained on my PC. I then plugged in the device and it automatically installed drivers (v 7.5.54609.0), rebooted and it finally showed a mirror image of my desktop display and also the DisplayLink tray icon - but the tray icon continues to spin around, almost like it is thinking or trying to load something. If I try to change any of the options with rotating, extending or mirroring the display does not change and the tray icon does not accept the change (still has a tick next to mirror). I left the software for a while where it eventually just disappeared an crashed leaving no tray icon and the screen turning black. I can reboot and it will work again as mirror only (being its default option) but only for about the first 10 minutes before the program crashes and we are in the same place.

Step 3** I have tried the display on another 2 Win 8.1 machines (laptops) both with the exact same issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what this could be? It does not seem that the display is physically broken or it would not have shown a display at any time. Please note on all of these tests I was using the provided USB 3.0 cable plugged directly into a full powered USB 3.0 socket so power supply to the device is not an issue.

I have run the DisplayLink support tool and the compatibility check shows:

Pass: BasicPass: No Other USB graphics software installed
mode support
Pass: Device attached
Pass: Device started correctly
Pass: Graphics driver date
Pass: WEI is above recommended 3

Attached the support I ran.

Thank you,
Jonathan
Attached Files
File Type: zip NEVIDEN-DT_20140430_184521.zip (849.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by JonathanB; 04-30-2014 at 07:49 AM.
JonathanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Does connecting the USB cable from the monitor to a USB 2.0 port on your PC cause the same issue?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
JonathanB

Hi!

Thanks for your reply, I eventually plugged in the USB 3.0 cable to a USB 2.0 port and it started working.

Unusual since its designed for USB 3.0 but either way I'm happy I got it working
JonathanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
Neil Holmes

Same here Jonathan.

I have an Aspire V5-122P running Windows 8.1. One USB3 and one USB2.

Since the box said "USB 3" I plugged the screen into the USB3. No joy. I played with the drivers, like you, no joy.

The USB2 has a hub connected to it. I plugged the monitor into that and I'm good to go!

How weird is that ?

Neil
Neil Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
gagaboul

Default Same problem...

Same here with my M5-581T laptop, on Windows 8.1

When plugging in the USB3 port, the monitor connects and disconnects repeatedly, the screen flashing and Windows notification sounds.

Then I plug on the USB2 port and all works perfectly...

I guess it is by chance that I still have a USB2 port. Now I'd like to tap the performance that USB3 can give. I heard that Intel's USB3 drivers for Windows 8.1 don't work well with other USB3 devices like external hard disk drives.

So how do we fix this ?
gagaboul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
Petrus

Have you found a solution?
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
gagaboul

Never resolved it... and it's total silence.
USB2 port is a workaround, but doesn't fix the problem
gagaboul is offline   Reply With Quote