Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 01-11-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
johnnieWishbone

Default Big Sur 11.1 Not Working

Looks like the latest update Big Sur 11.1 has disabled the displaylink functionality. Any one else facing the same issue?
johnnieWishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
ctavargeri

it stopped working for me as well this morning. I get the error that reads "Your device does not support DP Alt Mode, please install the latest driver and try again." I've tried reinstalling the latest driver/displaylink manager and disabling and enabling the screen recording permissions, but still doesn't work.
ctavargeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:21 PM   #3
johnnieWishbone

Angry Same

Looks like we are facing the same issues, guess we have to wait for an update to DisplayLink.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
Wozzy

DisplayLink Manager 1.2 works for me on 11.1
Wozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #5
johnnieWishbone

Default Chip

I guess I should have mentioned I have the M1 Chip, does your machine have m1 or intel?
Old 01-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #6
ctavargeri

mines an Early 2015 model, so it has an Intel i7 chip
ctavargeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:12 AM   #7
abbyhoffman

I'm also having the issue with 11.1 running the M1 chip
abbyhoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:08 AM   #8
PapaDrew

Cool Working but Heavily Lagged on One Monitor

With Big Sur 11.1 I was initially working with the Display Link Manager (DLM) 1.1 build. I had little noticeable problems (see below). After updating to the DLM 1.2 build I had issues with my main Dell AW3420DW not displaying at a decent resolution properly at first and then that monitor stopped working at all as I tried custom resolutions per a guide found on the DisplayLink support site. https://support.displaylink.com/know...-not-available They should probably update that guide with suggestions to use the [Gather Windows] button of the Display settings on a working monitor if your display stops working entirely. Had I known that I would have been able to get the then defunct display working again by setting its resolution back to a working resolution.

I was using an HDMI<->DP cable and swapped connections around for my displays finding that my Dell U3219Q no longer needed the single HDMI port I had on my docking station in order to display in portrait mode correctly. That free'd the HDMI port on my docking station up to do a strait HDMI connection from the Dell AW3420DW which resolved its problems.

My current configuration is:
Dell AW3420DW - HDMI <-> HDMI - Docking Station
Dell U3219Q - DP <-> DP - Docking Station
Dell U3415W - mDP <-> DP - Docking Station
The Docking Station is wired with USB-C to a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) = i7

Now I have a problem where if I move my cursor over to the Dell U3219Q and start working on things over there the DisplayLinkUserAgent's CPU usage shoots up from around 30% to over 100% and that monitor is very choppy in its display with me having to estimate where my mouse cursor will show up in order to work on that monitor. No biggy for now as my usage of that monitor is more for keeping track of incoming work communications than it is for actual work but a bother when I'm actually over there trying to type things.

Before upgrading to the 1.2 build I was using the 1.1 build with no problems except my Dell AW3420DW was having the same CPU issue but not as pronounced in the choppiness of the visual effect.

Before switching the U3219Q to the strait DP<->DP cord I used the old HDMI<->DP cord I had been using with the AW3420DW monitor and that was working. However, the CPU issue inspired the effort to switch to the strait DP<->DP connection with no benefit in performance.

I tried rolling back to the 1.1 build before discovering the cabling rework solution and that didn't get the Dell AW3420DW working while I was having that issue. I'm on the 1.2 build now and I'm reluctant to roll back to 1.1 again to see if that resolves the issues with the Dell U3219Q as I'm considering myself fortunate that it works on all three external displays at all at this point.

Anyone have solutions for the crazy CPU usage?

Last edited by PapaDrew; 01-15-2021 at 05:34 PM.
PapaDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #9
PapaDrew

Cool Working but Heavily Lagged on One Monitor - Continued

Doing further testing this morning it's only when I'm doing graphical interactions on the Dell U3219Q that it bogs down and gets choppy and there's significant differences between the types. That's playing videos, trying to move windows around, trying to move the mouse around to click things.

Streaming Episode 7 of The Expanse's intro the video is a little choppy but nothing like the difficulty I'm having with the mouse cursor jumping around like I'm trying to predict the location of an electron in an electron cloud. The video alone is slightly strobe like but when I move the mouse cursor around it gets really bad. There's no problems with audio playback - very smooth.

Trying the built in mousepad on the mac the strobing effects aren't as bad as with my corded USB mouse that's coincidentally also routed through the docking station. Both mouse interactions on that monitor are strobed and cause the video to strobe at varying rates but the built in mousepad is less pronounced.

Neither mouse interaction creates a significant difference in the strobing of the video when the cursors are moved around on other screens though the slight strobing is still there in the video and the CPU usage of the DisplayLinkUserAgent rides steadily over 100%.

I'm not noticing any strobing in any of the other monitors when I move the cursor around on the Dell U3219Q.

Typing text on the Dell U3219Q doesn't seem to cause significant strobing and the CPU usage of the DisplayLinkUserAgent doesn't increase significantly. They keyboard is also a wired USB keyboard routed through the docking station.

I've now run the Mac DisplayLink support tool and submitted a support ticket to try and help them gather info for eventually supporting Big Sur 11.1 though I'm not sure where to submit the zip file that was generated. I thought I had read the following link before submitting the ticket but hadn't.
https://support.displaylink.com/know...to-displaylink

I recommend making sure that's really been read before contacting support. My bad.

Last edited by PapaDrew; 01-15-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #10
PapaDrew

Default Working but Heavily Lagged on One Monitor - Continued

While waiting for USB 2.0 to USB-C dongles to arrive for testing the mouse bypassing the docking station I decided to go ahead and go through the following troubleshooting guide to see if there's anything else I can try while waiting: https://support.displaylink.com/know...ces-powered-by

A new step I hadn't tried was turning off Wi-Fi. That's not really a long term solution for obvious reasons but might give insight. Turning off Wi-Fi did not make any differences. Mouse cursor movement is still lagged on the one monitor and DisplayLinkUserAgent's CPU usage shoots up from 30-40% usage to over 100%.

I've ordered some 8k (4k/144Hz) DP cables to test with as none of the manufacturer provided cables that came with my monitors provide any improvement in the problem with that monitor.

Any tips on plugging a DP and HDMI only monitor into a MacBook Pro? All I'm finding on it are USB 3.1 ports and what looks like an analog audio port.

Did I mention already that I hooked the docking station up to a windows computer and checked the firmware on it? It's up to date.
*** Also, the same monitor has no problems on the Windows box. None of the other monitors are giving me trouble on that box as well. No other changes besides hooking the docking station to a Dell Laptop with Windows 10 instead.***

Last edited by PapaDrew; 01-15-2021 at 05:32 PM.

Tags
big sur, macos 11.1