Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #81
TargusLevel3

Default Are your drivers in line with these?

For the “Ivy Bridge” version of the Dell XPS13 (L322X) running Windows 7/64:
Dell recommends Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver 1.0.6.245, however Targus recommends the later version 1.0.8.251 available at https://targus.box.com/shared/static...ycrneyxvzq.zip .
Dell recommends Intel Graphics Driver 9.17.10.3063, however Targus recommends that the later driver version 9.17.10.3071 available at https://targus.box.com/shared/static...xg4bshkc42.zip .
The Targus docks may function with the Dell recommended drivers, but Targus knows the docks work with the drivers shown.

For the “Sandy Bridge” version of the Dell XPS13 (L321X) running Windows 7/64:
Dell recommends Fresco Logic USB 3.0 Host Controller version 3.5.46.0, however for proper USB3.0 Host Controller functionality Targus requires the latest driver version 3.5.100.0 available at https://targus.box.com/shared/static...omfszhmo51.exe .
Dell recommends Intel Graphics Driver 8.15.10.2712, however for proper desktop manager functionality Targus requires that the latest driver version 9.17.10.3071 available at https://targus.box.com/shared/static...xg4bshkc42.zip .
TargusLevel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #82
Splinx

Thumbs up

Hi Guys,

I have definitely sorted this issue with external USB docks running under Windows 8 (64 bit). The issue lays firmly with the host controller drivers and not the external devices themselves!

The issue is 100% a result of the native windows driver for the USB 3.0 eXtensible host driver and Microsoft's and Intel's lack of any interest to fix their own driver.

Give this customised Windows7 driver a whirl and let me know if your issues are resolved: Windows 8 (64) USB 3.0 Extensible host driver

It worked a treat for me on my Dell XP13 (L322X).

Credits to this post out on part of the solution a lot!

Thanks,
Splinx

Overview of the fix process
  • bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
  • bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
  • Reboot
  • Install driver (detailed instructions below) and then...
  • bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
  • bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF
  • reboot

Detailed notes on installing the custom Windows 8 driver
  1. You can only install these drivers when you are in Test mode (indicated bottom right of the desktop background)
  2. Run the commands in RED, above, in a command prompt elevated to admin mode.
  3. Locate the “Intel® USB 3.0 eXtrensible Host Controller…” (found under “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”.
  4. Right-click – “Update driver software…”
  5. Brows my computer
  6. Let me pick from a list
  7. Point at the directory from the attached file.
  8. IMPORTANT - After this is installed you will lose connectivity on any devices connected via USB
  9. After you have installed this driver “scan for hardware changes”
  10. There should be another “unsupported driver” – “Intel USB 3.0 Root hub”
  11. Right-click on this driver and update the driver – poiting at your install directory (this time you DON’T have to choose “let me pick from a list of…”
  12. After installing drivers run the commands above in green (in admin mode)
  13. Reboot and enjoy!

You may also want to ensure that you have the latest display link driver for your device although I'm pretty sure that the display link (or in fact Kensington) drivers are fine and the problem is with the USB host controller.

Enjoy and let me know if it worked for you!
Splinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #83
Ruud

Default TargusLevel3, JamesH: any thoughts on Splinx solution?

Hi Splinx,

This sounds like good news. I checked out the post and got a bit worried when I read this:

1. You reboot Windows without driver signature enforcement

2. Never restore these drivers if you uninstall them. I originally tried them out and wanted to compare them with the native drivers so I uninstalled them, then I tried restoring them when I confirmed they worked better, however I wasn't in windows with driver signature enforcement off, it resulted in a complete vanishing of my USB 3.0 devices. I was utterly lost on how to fix it, the saving grace was System Restore which allowed me to restore just slightly back in time to before I installed the modified drivers. It was fine then.

Having a sort of 'bricked' install isn't exactly my cup of thee.

I'm going to try the recommendations by TargusLevel3 about the drivers first.

However, I must assume that Targus/Displaylink/Dell could persuade/tell Intel to clean up their act and deliver some good drivers right?? I mean it looks like there are good drivers around, so why aren't they officially available then?
Ruud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #84
Ruud

Before I install this modified driver.. do you know what exactly it is that its now win8 compatible??
Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #85
uboel

Default New issue Docking 3.0 vs Dell XPS 13inch L322X

Dear support,

I'm unable to use a new docking with a new XPS. The docking is recognized only when I'm in the windows session. I use a Windows 8 Pro x64.

I already:

- have installed the latest version (7.3M1)
- rollback to previous version (7.2M1)
- restart the computer
- restart the docking => remove power and USB cable
- use all the USB ports
- tried my laptop on another docking

In attach, the logs generated by DL support tool

Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: zip DNFD1Y1_20130813_153919.zip (450.3 KB, 0 views)
uboel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #86
Ruud

@Targuslevel3: I tried installing the driver on my Win8/64... but my system isn't compatible (duh..) so no version 1.0.8.251 for me so far
@Splinx: do you do the command-line thingies to get past the compatibility check? or do I need to download the altered(?) version of the 1.0.8.251 driver?

Also: most interesting articles:
Could be related with dock from other vendor:
http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windo...st-Controllers

How to modify .inf files for usage in Windows8
https://docs.google.com/viewer?pid=e...ions.txt&pli=1

@JamesH, @Targuslevel3: remembering earlier remarks people made on this forum about crashes occurring seaming related to 'bandwidth' problems, this whole USB3 doesn't work OK with default microsoft drivers issue seems spot on (right?). Please investigate this and tell me if it's OK (and how) to proceed this way.

Last edited by Ruud; 08-13-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: extra info, further questions..
Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #87
Splinx

Default What is the driver?

@ ruud,

The driver is the one I downloaded from the Intel forum below:
http://communities.intel.com/message/189162

Like you I was dubious about simply installing a modified driver and so I ran it in a VM first and ran Microsoft Security Essentials on it - all fine.

When I put it onto my Dell XPS it worked a charm and I can supply screen grabs and a video if you like.

Just to let you know - I am an IT guy with over 20 years experience on this stuff and I am also a Microsoft Gold Partner

For obvious reasons, I don't want to say exactly who I am but I waned to give you some level of my background so that you (and others) knew that my post was not an empty or (worse) a fraudulent post.

Thanks,
Splinx
Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #88
Splinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
@Splinx: do you do the command-line thingies to get past the compatibility check? or do I need to download the altered(?) version of the 1.0.8.251 driver?
To answer you question specifically...

You need both the modified driver and to run the command line updates to allow Windows to allow you to install the unsigned driver.

Driver signing is in place to stop unauthorised installed without an experienced person knowing what they are doing.

I wrote my instructions long-hand so that it "should" be easy for you to follow - PM me if you like and I don't mind helping you out as this particular problem was driving me crazy.

Since implementing the fix I proposed I have had ZERO issues and I am a very happy bunny

Thanks,
Splinx
Old 08-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #89
Ruud

Thumbs up Can I do a roll-back if needed?

Hi Splinx,

I am very interested in using these modded drivers. I should be able to perform the necessary steps to get it done.

I'm wondering: after I use these modded drivers are the normal things like checking for even newer updates and the ability to upgrade the driver to yet another driver still available and working normally?

Thanks!

Ruud
Old 08-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #90
Splinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
I'm wondering: after I use these modded drivers are the normal things like checking for even newer updates and the ability to upgrade the driver to yet another driver still available and working normally?
Yes, definitely.

That said, please don't hold your breath for Intel and Microsoft to acknowledge this issue and update their drivers. Like I said in my original post, Intel have even gone on record stating that they have no intention of ever producing an updated driver and I cannot find anything too solid on the topic from MS.

Thanks,
Splinx