Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2024, 12:11 AM   #1
CarmenS

Default issues connecting MacBook Pro m3 to 2napple studio monitor

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro m3 that I have been trying to connect to 2 external apple studio display monitors with no luck. I purchased the Satechi Triple 4K Display Docking Station – three 4K displays at 60Hz, downloaded the display link manager 1.10.2 (build 14), enabled the audio recording, and still see the message "no displaylink-enabled display detected". I am lost at what to do and would love some help. I can connect one studio display once I plug in the power usb-c port of my computer. I would appreciate any help. Below are my specs:

MacBook Pro M3 Sonoma 14.5
Satechi Triple 4K Display Docking Station – three 4K displays at 60Hz
display link manager 1.10.2 (build 14)
2 apple studio display.

Best,
Carmen
CarmenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 11:01 AM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenS View Post
Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro m3 that I have been trying to connect to 2 external apple studio display monitors with no luck. I purchased the Satechi Triple 4K Display Docking Station – three 4K displays at 60Hz, downloaded the display link manager 1.10.2 (build 14), enabled the audio recording, and still see the message "no displaylink-enabled display detected". I am lost at what to do and would love some help. I can connect one studio display once I plug in the power usb-c port of my computer. I would appreciate any help. Below are my specs:

MacBook Pro M3 Sonoma 14.5
Satechi Triple 4K Display Docking Station – three 4K displays at 60Hz
display link manager 1.10.2 (build 14)
2 apple studio display.

Best,
Carmen
What type of video cables are you using to connect the Apple Studio displays to the docking station?

I ask because the docking station appears to have DisplayPort or HDMI video outputs, but the Apple Studio Display has only a Thunderbolt 3 input.

In other words, I'm not sure how you would have connected the displays to the dock, and I suspect the manner in which you are doing so may be the cause of the issue.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 10:18 PM   #3
CarmenS

I purchased a USB-C to HDMI adapter, but the computer doesn't recognize once I plug in the display port. I got another dock station from Satechi. the Satechi Thunderbolt 4 Docking Station 12 in 1, this one has 3 USB-C thunderbolt ports, If I connect one of the displays with the cable that came with it directly to the port it works, but doesn't recognize the second display - only does if you unplug the first one. At least with this new dock one of the displays actually turns on. If I plug in HDMI video ports with the converter it doesn't recognize at all. But even so, the Displaylink software still says it is not detecting anything. Any suggestions of what cable I should purchase if I'm using the wrong one? below are the specs for cables that I bought and the new dock:

- Satechi dock - ( https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Thund...3-0e5c1a776d5d

- USB C to HDMI - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QRTNJXS...t_details&th=1

- BENFEI USB C to HDMI 6ft Cable[4K@60Hz - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HSQKLX8...t_details&th=1

Thank you!
CarmenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 11:10 AM   #4
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenS View Post
I purchased a USB-C to HDMI adapter, but the computer doesn't recognize once I plug in the display port. I got another dock station from Satechi. the Satechi Thunderbolt 4 Docking Station 12 in 1, this one has 3 USB-C thunderbolt ports, If I connect one of the displays with the cable that came with it directly to the port it works, but doesn't recognize the second display - only does if you unplug the first one. At least with this new dock one of the displays actually turns on. If I plug in HDMI video ports with the converter it doesn't recognize at all. But even so, the Displaylink software still says it is not detecting anything. Any suggestions of what cable I should purchase if I'm using the wrong one? below are the specs for cables that I bought and the new dock:

- Satechi dock - ( https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Thund...3-0e5c1a776d5d

- USB C to HDMI - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QRTNJXS...t_details&th=1

- BENFEI USB C to HDMI 6ft Cable[4K@60Hz - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HSQKLX8...t_details&th=1

Thank you!

I believe there are two factors causing the behavior:

1. Your MacBook Pro with a 'base' M3 processor only supports one external display via Thunderbolt. This is why only one Apple Studio display works at a time when they are connected directly to the dock using a USB Type-C or Thunderbolt cable.

This is an internal limitation of the laptop which cannot be changed.

2. Typically, most adapters or cables that have a USB Type-C connector on one end and HDMI connector on the opposite end only work in one direction, from a USB Type-C output to a HDMI input.

In other words, the USB-C end must be connected to the host output (in this case the dock) and the HDMI end must be connected to the display.

The description of the product you bought suggests it works in the same manner.

While I cannot be sure, I suspect you are using the adapter 'backwards' in that you are connecting the HDMI end to the dock and the USB-C end to the display.

Presuming for the moment my impression is correct, that method will not work.

To summarize, there are two limiting factors:

1. Your Mac only supports one external display via Thunderbolt

2. Your displays only support input via USB-C or Thunderbolt

I myself am not aware of any product that would circumvent the limitations present in your setup.

The only way to resolve the issue would be to upgrade to a Mac with a 'M3 Pro' or 'M3 Max' processor. M3 Pro processors support up to two external displays via Thunderbolt, and M3 Max processors support up to four external displays.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote