Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
Microft

Default Cannot install drivers

Hi,

I have a displayLink adaptor for a monitor. It suddenly stopped working. I thought it was a problem with the adaptor it's self so I bought a new one. Plugged it in and it didn't work. The monitor is fine as I tried it with a different cable directly into the PC.

I couldn't uninstall the drivers. They were removed, but when I tried to reinstall them, I got the message that I had the latest DisplayLink drivers.

I then used your DisplayLink Installation Cleaner v8.0.453 and rebooted. Now I can install the drivers, but get this message and can't install the drivers:

Any help would be great, thanks.

Mike.

Last edited by Microft; 06-30-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Microft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
Microft

Angry Help?

Anyone know the issue here?

Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit, 16 gb Ram with AMD Radeon R7 Graphics + R7 200 Dual Graphics.

As I mentioned above, the display just stopped working and I couldn't uninstall the drivers and I still can't install them without getting the same error message as above.

I really need the other display. Hope someone can help.

Last edited by Microft; 06-30-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Microft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:14 PM   #3
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Microft,

Would you please post the log files so they can be analysed? The process is in the FAQs and in my forum signature.

I don't understand how you got the message that the driver was installed after removal. Have you connected the device on the USB before running the setup.exe? If so, then the driver installation would have began automatically as Windows 10 downloads the drivers from Windows Update.

The message you get suggests that the cleaner could not operate properly because of an access right issue. I'd like to understand the root cause to prevent this from happening again: see how I can get the cleaner improved.
1. Did you disconnect the device before running the cleaner?
2. Was the cleaner ran as Administrator?
3. Did you get any error during the cleaning process?

As a next step, here is what I would advise. This is long with many steps to be more exhaustive and limit the number of messages back and forth to get to resolution quicker.
A. Disconnect every devices using DisplayLink technology,
B. Run the 7.9 M7 installer, IGNORE all errors,
C. Connect the device(s) one by one, only when asked during the installation process.
D. Reboot at the end of the installation so Windows finishes to add the core driver files.
E. Wait for completion of the reboot. You may have pixels on the external monitors at this stage.
F. Disconnect the device(s).
G. Remove the 7.9 M7 driver from Add/Remove programs.
H. Reboot as Windows can't modify the core files whilst running.
I. Run the End User Cleaner as administrator.
J. Reboot, as usual.
K. Install 7.9 M7 and connect the device(s) one by one, only when asked.
L. Final reboot.

Should you still have issues at step L, can you please let me know and try again from step I. with this particular cleaner (disconnecting the devices beforehand)?

Your feedback will tell me which steps failed and therefore what needs to be corrected.
In the future, if an issue is blocking, please use the ticketing system (contact DisplayLink link in the support section) as with most other companies, forum support is not the priority.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
kati42

Default Same installation error

Hi. I'm having that same error come up during installation.

Background: Using a Pluggable USB 3.0 docking station with my laptop to provide USB graphics to two external monitors (one via HDMI, the other via DVI). Unfortunately, I did not think to update the drivers before doing the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Windows 10 "uninstalled" displaylink drivers during installation (or so it said) due to incompatibility.

Attempted install, got that error. Tried cleaner and it didn't help. Found this post.

After disconnecting device and running cleaner as admin (it said it completed successfully), rebooted, then did the following as per the suggestion:

A. (device was already disconnected from running the cleaner)
B. Ran the installer, ignoring the errors
C. Connected device when told, but nothing happened. Tried the other USB port. No reaction. Pressed "Skip" because it was clear it wasn't going to do anything.
D. Rebooted
E. Waited for reboot to complete. Monitors have no signal.
F. Disconnected the device
G. Tried to remove driver from add/remove programs. There was only DisplayLink Graphics in the list. Nothing else with "DisplayLink" in the name. I went to uninstall it, but a dialog appeared saying that DisplayLink Core Software was currently using it and that must be uninstalled first to proceed. It asked me if I'd like to automatically do this. I tried no, but then the uninstall process just quits. When I said yes, I got a dialog box from Windows Installer saying "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed".

I then tried a few different iterations of EndUserCleaner and attempted reinstall, to no avail.

Next:

1. Ran the cleaner again as admin, and again it said it completed successfully.
2. Rebooted
3. Checked that there was nothing in add/remove programs with "DisplayLink" in the name.
4. Ran the support tool, checked both boxes in advanced settings.
5. Rebooted
6. Ran the installer again, got the same errors. Ignored them again. Connected the device when told to. Tried both ports. Nothing happened. Eventually pressed "skip" for that step.
7. Installer claimed it completed successfully and that my desktop was now extended. Monitors still had no signal, and display settings had only the laptop display.
8. Re-ran support tool to gather the support information.

I've attached the file. Assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I rely on my multi-monitor setup.

EDIT: I will email DisplayLink tech support with the log file and link to this post in that email. I didn't realize just how much information was in it, and would rather not post it publicly...

Thanks!

Kati

Last edited by kati42; 07-23-2016 at 08:41 PM.
kati42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #5
kati42

After getting a quick reply from to my support email (on a Sunday!) it turns out I was using an older version of EndUserCleaner that I found when I was searching for Windows 10 upgrade problems. Using the newer one from this link did the trick: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=64

(Note: my device was not plugged in when I ran it, I ran it as administrator, I rebooted after running it, and I only plugged in the device when told to).

Hope that helps anyone else that runs into this problem.
kati42 is offline   Reply With Quote